Posted to alt.home.repair
Teh Suck

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Yeah, and putting a penny behind an old fashioned glass fuse will keep the
fuse from blowing g.

Seriously, I'd first try chagng the bulb and if that didn't work Id change
out the socket.

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

There is a dielectric grease used in autombiles for the plug wire boot to
spark plug connection. Id have more confidence in that to withstand
temperatures and current flowthan I would mere vaseline, which, IIRC,
liquifies at relatively low temperatures and which will ignite.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Teh Suck" wrote in message
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of

grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:33:10 GMT, "Teh Suck"
wrote:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

I don't know if vaseline will give problems or not, although I think
it would be easy enough to clean after the problems start.

There was a long thread about this in sci.electronics.repair within
the last 18 months iirc. You can find it with groups.google .

The simple answer is that you can get what you want at an autoparts
store, and it's called electrical grease, or something. If that's not
it, the clerk should know. IIRC it was between 5 and 10 dollars which
is a lot for grease! It's used a lot in parking and tail lights, or
high current switches.

In my case, I was trying to repair an auto heater fan speed switch.
My favorite speed, 2, didn't work. The other three did. My first
repair, where I just cleaned the contact and moved the grease around a
little, worked fine until the final step in reassembly, and then it
was as bad as before, so I wanted to try again and maybe replace the
grease. I took it apart again, spread the old grease around again,
and when I put it back together, it worked fine, and has for a year
now.

Thanks.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Teh Suck wrote:
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Sure it is ok. Worst case, if the temperature is
too high, it might char and the bulb could start
to flicker. But, a lubricant on bulbs is used
mainly to keep bulbs from sticking in the socket.
A high temperature silicone grease, e.g., spark
plug boot grease, is usually suggest as the best.
Costly but all you need is very thin smear.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE

Vaseline works fine for this. You just need a little bit. Back in the
60's my dad had a motel down in GA. Big sign out front must have had a
hundred bulbs or more and the installer reccomended using vaseline on
the bulbs. Never had a stuck bulb or corroded socket. Where I work we
use silicon dielectric grease, again a little dab will do ya. Keeps the
contacts from oxidizing and keeps the bulb and socket from siezing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim McLaughlin wrote:

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

You might, after looking up "fretting corrosion."

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Teh Suck wrote:
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this
and worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind
of grease made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so,
can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

I would suggest that a better solution is to clean the contacts of the
lamp and the socket (center contact and threads). Of course you need to make
sure the power is off.

It is a sad fact that many lamps today are using cheap poor materials
for the lamp bases. Usually aluminum rather than the brass that works well.
They even often color it to look like brass. The result is poor contacts and
overheated sockets.

As for Vaseline, I have heard that it can cause problems (corrosion).
If you are going to use a product like that I suggest the dielectric grease
made for electrical contacts. It is available in many auto part stores in
small inexpensive sizes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I fix office machines for a living.

vaseline when heated can turn to rock

Its a bad idea, clean the contacts of the socket or replace the socket
BEFORE it causes a fire!. sockets are generally cheap

die electric grease is ok but non conductive, the original poster is
probably using the vaseline as a minor conductor.

had a idiot customer grease 10 machines drive systems with vaseline,.
geez what a mess.

had to clean them all with gasoline

he was greasing VCRs with vasoline too

He hadnt got the bill for that one yet when I last saw him. on my next
visit he wasnt around, i asked they said he is no longer working here/

he probably got fired

WD40 is another no no its not a lubricant either and turns to crud ater
awhile

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

wrote in message
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

You might, after looking up "fretting corrosion."

Nick

No, I wouldn't.

If I used a lube, as I said in my reply to the OP, I'd, in order:

1. Replace bulb

2. replace socket

3. Use the spark plug boot di electric.

Which seems to be the uniform response here among folks who have replied.

- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Teh Suck wrote:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

The flickering was probably being caused by the bulb threads galling on
the socket threads and preventing the bulb from making that last little
bit of turning needed to establish firm contact between the tip and the
socket center contact. The Vaseline greased the way for it to tighten more.

But, for a light bulb lubricant......Do what I do guys...

Just use squalene, which is the oil which appears on the OUTSIDE of your
nose.

Rub the base of the bulb on the side of your nose while rotating it a bit.

Squaline (nose oil) was being used as a lubricant by clockmakers long
before the light bulb was invented.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

I can't see how Vaseline could cause corrosion.
That's like someone suggesting that motor oil
causes corrosion or that wheel grease causes
bearing corrosion.

At high temperatures it can char and possibly
cause conductivity problems, but in that case the
Vaseline should be the least of ones worries.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

I thought they used sperm oil (from the sperm
whale). Gotta put this in the historical context
of hunting whales and clock and watch making.
People have had oil lamps long before metal
clockworks were invented, so they all had a supply
of oil some of which worked and some of which didn't.

You don't suppose the salt in whatever you wipe
off your nose would corrode metal?
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Teh Suck" wrote in message
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of

grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Here is a link that someone posted to this group a while back. I haven't
tried this stuff, but it seems to be what you are looking for:
http://lampsplus.com/Products/Light-Bulbs/page_12/03877

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Some may laugh, but I have heard of that several times from reliable
sources.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

Frankly I don't have an answer to it. I have read it, I recall it being
a reliable source, but I no longer remember the source and I do not recall
the exact reason.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Some may laugh, but I have heard of that several times from reliable
sources.

Don't laff at this one either, but If I'm suffering from dry chapped
lips in the winter, using my finger to transfer some of that squalene
from the outside of my nose to my lips makes them feel decidedly better.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Mys Terry wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:43:24 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

I fix office machines for a living.

vaseline when heated can turn to rock

Of course it does, as does any petroleum product.

Its a bad idea, clean the contacts of the socket or replace the socket
BEFORE it causes a fire!. sockets are generally cheap

Humbug. A large proportion of problems with
sockets is the result of screwing the bulb to
tight and deforming the center contact. Then the
next person screws in a bulb and lack of good
contact causes some sparking. In most cases, all
you need to do is clean the center contact if it
shows signs of burning and bend it back to where
it is suppose to be. Most of these problems could
be avoided by not screwing bulbs in like an ape.

die electric grease is ok but non conductive, the original poster is
probably using the vaseline as a minor conductor.

Another humbug. Vaseline is non conductive.

"Vaseline" is often combined with other substances, and that may not
be obvious to the casual observer. You cannot ever assume that any
given container labeled "Vaseline" contains a product that is
non-conductive.

Nonsense. Vaseline is a tradename for petroleum
jelly and is not combined with other products,
otherwise it would not be Vaseline. Anything that
says it is white petroleum jelly or white
petrolatum USP is the same substance. It is
nonconductive, just like most any pure oil or
grease made from petroleum.

You have it backwards, it is other products that
may not list the petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly
is used in lots of products such as mentholatum
and vaporub, they may not say that the inactive
ingredient is petroleum jelly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

It obviously wasn't and isn't a reliable source,
since the statement isn't true.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Some may laugh, but I have heard of that several times from
reliable sources.

Don't laff at this one either, but If I'm suffering from dry chapped
lips in the winter, using my finger to transfer some of that squalene
from the outside of my nose to my lips makes them feel decidedly better.

Jeff

Isn't that called picking your nose?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Teh Suck" wrote in
:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read
that using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried
this and worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some
kind of grease made specifically for electric purposes be better? If
so, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

Sounds like a good joke on the SWMBO;send her to the store for "light bulb
grease".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

As for Vaseline, I have heard that it can cause problems
(corrosion). If you are going to use a product like that I suggest the
dielectric grease made for electrical contacts. It is available in
many auto part stores in small inexpensive sizes.

I can't see how Vaseline could cause corrosion. That's like someone
suggesting that motor oil causes corrosion or that wheel grease
causes bearing corrosion.

At high temperatures it can char and possibly cause conductivity
problems, but in that case the Vaseline should be the least of ones
worries.

Frankly I don't have an answer to it. I have read it, I recall
it being a reliable source, but I no longer remember the source and
I do not recall the exact reason.

It obviously wasn't and isn't a reliable source,
since the statement isn't true.

What statement are you talking about? What source are you saying is not
reliable?

In any case the statements I referred to have not been proven wrong any
more than the idea that Vaseline is safe for the indicated use has been
proven right. Both appear to be a matter of opinion and memory (which at
least in my case is subject to imperfections.

I will stick with the proper product, it's cheap and I keep some in my
garage.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Mys Terry wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:45:38 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Mys Terry wrote:

[...]

You are emphatically and totally WRONG.

There are a wide variety of products labled as "vaseline" that are not pure
petroleum jelly.

Who are you hoping to kill with your ignorance?

And you don't know that Vaseline is a tradename
owned by Chesebrough-Pond's? Yes under the
tradename there are many products including lip
balm and various lotions. But "Vaseline" alone is
generally considered to mean petroleum jelly.
Just like "thermos" is used to mean any brand of
vacuum bottle.

But just for you, be sure if it the container says
"Vaseline" or any other trade name that it also
says petroleum jelly or petrolatum. Wouldn't want
you putting an electrically conductive (or is it?)
product like Vaseline Intensive Care (a lotion) on
your lightbulbs.

Bye-bye!
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Mys Terry wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

Some products sold and labeled as "Vaseline" can and will produce carbon
particles when heated. FACT

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or caustic.
FACT

George Cawthon may be belligerent, but he's also often incorrect. Ask him for
independant cites that can be checked when he makes claims.

I'm not belligerent, I'm happy for you!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Teh Suck wrote:

[...]

Calling this a FACT is bending the truth a bit. You should be a bit
more specific. Pure vaseline, known as petrolatum is neither acidic or
basic on the normal acidity or basicity scales we are talking about
here. It is a mixture of high flashpoint aliphatic hydrocarbons. Now
for many commercial applications, the term vaseline is often used with
other descriptive words or phrases. Those other words represent
materials added to petrolatum which may impart acidity, bascity, or
other desirable properties to the petrolatumvaseline base. If the
petrolatum itself is modified by oxidation or has not been subjected
to to strict quality control, then as an impure material, it may have
a small amount of low acidity materia or aromatic hydrocarbons
present, but this is no longer considered pure vaseline/petrolatum.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Gary Dyrkacz wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:09:29 GMT, Mys Terry

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or
caustic. FACT

Calling this a FACT is bending the truth a bit. You should be a bit
more specific. Pure vaseline, known as petrolatum is neither acidic

I believe that Mys Terry was very clean with the phrase "Some products
sold and labled as 'Vaseline'.."

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

As for Vaseline, I have heard that it can cause problems
(corrosion).
If you are going to use a product like that I suggest the dielectric
grease made for electrical contacts. It is available in many auto
part
stores in small inexpensive sizes.

I can't see how Vaseline could cause corrosion. That's like someone
suggesting that motor oil causes corrosion or that wheel grease causes
bearing corrosion.

Some products sold and labeled as "Vaseline" can and will produce carbon
particles when heated. FACT

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or
caustic.
FACT

Calling this a FACT is bending the truth a bit.

One time a thing occured to me
What's real, and what's for sale?
Blew a kiss and tried to take it home

It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things that you can't see
Going blind, out of reach
Somewhere in the vaseline

Two times and it has rendered me
Punch drunk and without bail
Think I'd be safer all alone
Flys in the vasoline we are
Sometimes it blows my mind
Keep getting stuck here all the time

You'll see the look and you'll see the lies
You'll eat the lies, and you will.

It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things that you can't see
Going blind, out of reach
Somewhere in the vasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Teh Suck posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

I use a product called 'Bulb Grease" made by ITW/Devcon only place around here
that carries it is Sears Hardware.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...