An electrical grease for a light bulb?

Old February 24th 06, 05:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Old February 24th 06, 05:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, and putting a penny behind an old fashioned glass fuse will keep the
fuse from blowing g.

Seriously, I'd first try chagng the bulb and if that didn't work Id change
out the socket.

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

There is a dielectric grease used in autombiles for the plug wire boot to
spark plug connection. Id have more confidence in that to withstand
temperatures and current flowthan I would mere vaseline, which, IIRC,
liquifies at relatively low temperatures and which will ignite.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Old February 24th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:33:10 GMT, "Teh Suck"
wrote:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

I don't know if vaseline will give problems or not, although I think
it would be easy enough to clean after the problems start.

There was a long thread about this in sci.electronics.repair within
the last 18 months iirc. You can find it with groups.google .

The simple answer is that you can get what you want at an autoparts
store, and it's called electrical grease, or something. If that's not
it, the clerk should know. IIRC it was between 5 and 10 dollars which
is a lot for grease! It's used a lot in parking and tail lights, or
high current switches.

In my case, I was trying to repair an auto heater fan speed switch.
My favorite speed, 2, didn't work. The other three did. My first
repair, where I just cleaned the contact and moved the grease around a
little, worked fine until the final step in reassembly, and then it
was as bad as before, so I wanted to try again and maybe replace the
grease. I took it apart again, spread the old grease around again,
and when I put it back together, it worked fine, and has for a year
now.

Thanks.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old February 24th 06, 07:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Teh Suck wrote:
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this and
worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind of grease
made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so, can anyone
recommend one?

Thanks.

Sure it is ok. Worst case, if the temperature is
too high, it might char and the bulb could start
to flicker. But, a lubricant on bulbs is used
mainly to keep bulbs from sticking in the socket.
A high temperature silicone grease, e.g., spark
plug boot grease, is usually suggest as the best.
Costly but all you need is very thin smear.
Old February 24th 06, 09:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Vaseline works fine for this. You just need a little bit. Back in the
60's my dad had a motel down in GA. Big sign out front must have had a
hundred bulbs or more and the installer reccomended using vaseline on
the bulbs. Never had a stuck bulb or corroded socket. Where I work we
use silicon dielectric grease, again a little dab will do ya. Keeps the
contacts from oxidizing and keeps the bulb and socket from siezing.

Old February 24th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jim McLaughlin wrote:

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

You might, after looking up "fretting corrosion."

Nick

Old February 24th 06, 11:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Teh Suck wrote:
I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read that
using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried this
and worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some kind
of grease made specifically for electric purposes be better? If so,
can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

I would suggest that a better solution is to clean the contacts of the
lamp and the socket (center contact and threads). Of course you need to make
sure the power is off.

It is a sad fact that many lamps today are using cheap poor materials
for the lamp bases. Usually aluminum rather than the brass that works well.
They even often color it to look like brass. The result is poor contacts and
overheated sockets.

As for Vaseline, I have heard that it can cause problems (corrosion).
If you are going to use a product like that I suggest the dielectric grease
made for electrical contacts. It is available in many auto part stores in
small inexpensive sizes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 24th 06, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I fix office machines for a living.

vaseline when heated can turn to rock

Its a bad idea, clean the contacts of the socket or replace the socket
BEFORE it causes a fire!. sockets are generally cheap

die electric grease is ok but non conductive, the original poster is
probably using the vaseline as a minor conductor.

had a idiot customer grease 10 machines drive systems with vaseline,.
geez what a mess.

had to clean them all with gasoline

he was greasing VCRs with vasoline too

He hadnt got the bill for that one yet when I last saw him. on my next
visit he wasnt around, i asked they said he is no longer working here/

he probably got fired

WD40 is another no no its not a lubricant either and turns to crud ater
awhile

Old February 24th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I fix office machines for a living.

vaseline when heated can turn to rock

Its a bad idea, clean the contacts of the socket or replace the socket
BEFORE it causes a fire!. sockets are generally cheap

die electric grease is ok but non conductive, the original poster is
probably using the vaseline as a minor conductor.

the dielectric is supposed to be non-conductive. We use a couple of
greases in auto industry. When you have 100 pin connectors, you need to
be able to connect them easily.

You should also be able to get dielectric grease at Radio Shack, though
last time I was there I couldn't find any. I also could not find any
graphite to lube my doors...

had a idiot customer grease 10 machines drive systems with vaseline,.
geez what a mess.

had to clean them all with gasoline

he was greasing VCRs with vasoline too

Was he really? Or maybe he was just a greasy dude!?

He hadnt got the bill for that one yet when I last saw him. on my next
visit he wasnt around, i asked they said he is no longer working here/

he probably got fired

WD40 is another no no its not a lubricant either and turns to crud ater
awhile

yea I used this on my doors. Now they turn too easily and wont stay open

--
Thank you,

Old February 24th 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

I sure wouldnt coat the contacts or bulb threads with vaseline.

You might, after looking up "fretting corrosion."

Nick

No, I wouldn't.

If I used a lube, as I said in my reply to the OP, I'd, in order:

1. Replace bulb

2. replace socket

3. Use the spark plug boot di electric.

Which seems to be the uniform response here among folks who have replied.