Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker does not deliver 240 volt

i have a problem with the my circuit breaker it does not deliver 240
volts that i need instead only delivers 120 volts.
Need urgent answer!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Is it a double pole breaker that was giving you 240volt and then stopped, or
a newly installed breaker that should deliver 240 volt. If it is a new
installation , be sure you are using a double pole breaker, which is one
that connects to two different busses of your panel, as opposed to a split
breaker, which connects to one buss of the panel and has places for two
wires to attach to it

wrote in message
oups.com...
i have a problem with the my circuit breaker it does not deliver 240
volts that i need instead only delivers 120 volts.
Need urgent answer!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Is it a double pole breaker that was giving you 240volt and then stopped,
or a newly installed breaker that should deliver 240 volt. If it is a new
installation , be sure you are using a double pole breaker, which is one
that connects to two different busses of your panel, as opposed to a split
breaker, which connects to one buss of the panel and has places for two
wires to attach to it

A split breaker gives 0v, hot-hot.

If I wanted to make a wild guess, the OP is probably measuring 120v H-G for
both hots, which is quite correct. OP, you have to measure H-H.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Al Moran" wrote in message
On 25 Feb 2006 07:30:36 -0800, wrote:

i have a problem with the my circuit breaker it does not deliver 240
volts that i need instead only delivers 120 volts.
Need urgent answer!

Install a circuit breaker booster.

A transformer?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Toller wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Is it a double pole breaker that was giving you 240volt and then stopped,
or a newly installed breaker that should deliver 240 volt. If it is a new
installation , be sure you are using a double pole breaker, which is one
that connects to two different busses of your panel, as opposed to a split
breaker, which connects to one buss of the panel and has places for two
wires to attach to it

A split breaker gives 0v, hot-hot.

If I wanted to make a wild guess, the OP is probably measuring 120v H-G for
both hots, which is quite correct. OP, you have to measure H-H.

Could also be that half the breaker is tripped.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
i have a problem with the my circuit breaker it does not deliver 240
volts that i need instead only delivers 120 volts.
Need urgent answer!

That is supposed to be what you get on each leg. If you don't understand
it, get professional help before you get into trouble.

You don't give enough information for anything more than that as an answer.
New breaker? Old breaker that you tested in the past? Are you checking at
the breaker or at a down-line portion of the circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Rich256" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Is it a double pole breaker that was giving you 240volt and then
stopped, or a newly installed breaker that should deliver 240 volt. If
it is a new installation , be sure you are using a double pole breaker,
which is one that connects to two different busses of your panel, as
opposed to a split breaker, which connects to one buss of the panel and
has places for two wires to attach to it

A split breaker gives 0v, hot-hot.

If I wanted to make a wild guess, the OP is probably measuring 120v H-G
for both hots, which is quite correct. OP, you have to measure H-H.

Could also be that half the breaker is tripped.

No, it would then be an open circuit and measure zero.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Toller wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Is it a double pole breaker that was giving you 240volt and then
stopped, or a newly installed breaker that should deliver 240 volt. If
it is a new installation , be sure you are using a double pole breaker,
which is one that connects to two different busses of your panel, as
opposed to a split breaker, which connects to one buss of the panel and
has places for two wires to attach to it

A split breaker gives 0v, hot-hot.

If I wanted to make a wild guess, the OP is probably measuring 120v H-G
for both hots, which is quite correct. OP, you have to measure H-H.

Could also be that half the breaker is tripped.

No, it would then be an open circuit and measure zero.

You could measure 110 from one leg to return. I really don't understand
what he was saying. Is he getting 110 from hot to hot or from one hot
to return?

I have seen a breaker half tripped. Had to turn it all the way off and
back on again to set both sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Rich256 wrote:
Toller wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
[...]

Thinking about it a bit more. If half of a breaker pair is tripped and
if there is any kind of a load, like a lamp or motor, between that line
and return he could measure 110 volts between the two hot lines.

For example in a dryer there are 110 volt timers and motors. Only the
heater is between the two hot lines.