Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well Head Leaking?

Sorry if this is the wrong group for this ? but my house well head has
water leaking out of the top. It does it about 50% of the day. I have
an overflow pipe attached to it and there is water running out of it
so it does not seem to be plugged.

Just wondering if I should be concerned since the wires to the pump
are connected near the top,(sealed of course), but neverless are
getting wet.

Seems like the water table has risen and overflowing out the top of
the well head.

Has any one ever seen this?

Thanks,

--
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:37:05 -0400, "tc88" wrote:

Sorry if this is the wrong group for this ? but my house well head has
water leaking out of the top. It does it about 50% of the day. I have
an overflow pipe attached to it and there is water running out of it
so it does not seem to be plugged.

Just wondering if I should be concerned since the wires to the pump
are connected near the top,(sealed of course), but neverless are
getting wet.

Seems like the water table has risen and overflowing out the top of
the well head.

Has any one ever seen this?

Thanks,

Yes, I have see it on an ARTESIAN WELL. If you have a standard
drilled well, that did not do this before, the water vein feeding your
well you may have suddenly opened to an artesian feed. But only 50%
of the say makes it really weird. Could someone or some company in
your area be backfeeding? Have you had very much rain? How deep is
this well?
What would happen if you hooked a garden hose to your overflow pipe
and went on your roof or a ladder. Try it..... How high will this
water rise? If it rises high, there is some sort of pressure,
(artesian well, back pressure, etc). If it stops are a certain
height, it's likely the water table has gotten real high for some
reason. You do have a weird problem..... Are neighbors having this
sort of problem too?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Next time you see this happening turn off the power to your well pump to be
sure that the well pump is not somehow causing it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I have see it on an ARTESIAN WELL. If you have a standard
drilled well, that did not do this before, the water vein feeding
your
well you may have suddenly opened to an artesian feed. But only 50%
of the say makes it really weird. Could someone or some company in
your area be backfeeding? Have you had very much rain? How deep is
this well?
What would happen if you hooked a garden hose to your overflow pipe
and went on your roof or a ladder. Try it..... How high will this
water rise? If it rises high, there is some sort of pressure,
(artesian well, back pressure, etc). If it stops are a certain
height, it's likely the water table has gotten real high for some
reason. You do have a weird problem..... Are neighbors having this
sort of problem too?

Mark

My well is a Drilled well. What is an artesian.

We had alot of rain in the spring and it seemed to start right before
that. I thought maybe the water table had risen but it has been doing
it all summer now.

I tried to snake the overflow pipe last spring but found nothing.
Water continuously comes out of it.

At that time I had the cover off and The water level in the casing
would drop about 10-15 feet for a few minutes and then over flow
again. I watched it do this several times.

When they drilled the well there was water coming out of the ground
and the builder said they hit a tile for an old spring also. This was
a farm field. Then he put in the over flow pipe and No water came out
of the casing for about 2 years until it started doing it late last
winter/early spring.

I figure the water table has risen alot or that spring is some how
affecting it, but my well is about 280' feet deep I believe so I am
not sure if the spring could affect it.

I am mainly concerned about the wires being wet all the time where the
connection is.

I have 3 neighbors and none of theirs do this. One has 44 gal a minute
flow also!

These wells are all about three years old.

I will try turning off the pump to see if that does anything.

Thanks to all and any more info appreciated.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tc88, Courtney579 wrote:
We are currently having the exact same problem. We have an overflow pipe that
continues to discharge water (we originally thought it was clogged) and our
well head is leaking water for about 50% of the day. Just wondering if you
solved this problem and how? Would appreciate any advice you have.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 9:44:06 PM UTC-4, Courtney579 wrote:
replying to tc88, Courtney579 wrote:
We are currently having the exact same problem. We have an overflow pipe that
continues to discharge water (we originally thought it was clogged) and our
well head is leaking water for about 50% of the day. Just wondering if you
solved this problem and how? Would appreciate any advice you have.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

It sounds like somehow the water level has risen to the point that it's become an artesian well. AFAIK typically a well doesn't have or need an overflow pipe. Are you confusing that with where the electrical wires exit the casing at the top cover? It's a curiosity, but unless the water is so much that it creates a problem in the yard, I don't see anything to worry about or fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Courtney579, JWB63 wrote:
I am having a similar issue. My well head pipe (I guess overflow) began
dripping a week ago. I just turn the power off to the pump and it slowed until
it quit. When I turned back on the power and the pump came on it immmediately
begin to drip again. Lived in the house for 8 years and this is the first
time this even occurred. Otherwise pump and reservoir tank seem to be
opererating properly. Not sure

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tc88, Ana wrote:
Did you find out what the problem was?
I just got a well drilled and it is constantly leaking around the pipe cap.
They are telling me they need to install a well buster which is thousands of
$$ on top of the money I already spent. I am so frustrated!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:44:15 AM UTC-4, Ana wrote:
replying to tc88, Ana wrote:
Did you find out what the problem was?
I just got a well drilled and it is constantly leaking around the pipe cap.
They are telling me they need to install a well buster which is thousands of
$$ on top of the money I already spent. I am so frustrated!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

Well, that's the first time I've heard of a well buster. I took a look at
it and it's a fancy plug that costs over $1000 and with installation it
could be $~1500, but shouldn't be thousands. The problem is that you have
an artesian well, which is one that has enough pressure so that water
comes to the surface without a pump, similar to a spring. And then it
gets complicated. What did they tell you when the drilled the well?
Any mention that you might need one? Typically well drillers know the
various levels where water is expected. It's not a 100% thing usually.
But they typically can tell you that usually there is water at 60 ft,
but it may not flow enough, so we may have to go to 110 ft, etc.
Somewhere in that discussion you'd think they would say that at a certain
level, if they got there, it may be an artesian that needs the fancy buster.

Another factor would be if you knew it was going to be an artesian, then
instead of going with a submersible, I would think they could go with a
conventional pump inside the house and a well cap that goes on top of
the casing, where the pipes run into it through a cheap seal that caps
the well and nothing can leak out. That has to be below the frost line though. That is how wells used to be done with shallow well pumps.
Sounds like you have a submersible, and with those, the electric wires
come out the top, so they are not sealed. I'd do some googling and see
it there is any company that makes a sealing widget other than the
well buster company. I guess another question is if the leaking water
really creates a problem. I saw a pic at well busters of a frozen mess
and it sounds like that is a big problem. Even if some water coming out
isn't a problem, if it's where it can freeze in winter, it can freeze and
bust the casing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JWB63, Scott wrote:
D you ever get this fixed my has started doing the same thing

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I paid 600 last year to replace well top cause it froze and cracked. I have a self flowing well. Ad the overflow leaks, the company that "fixed" my well says its the natural pressure of self flowing. Like when early spring or when it gets warmer in winter months it leaks and unable to stop it.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-148324-.htm