Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a revolving wall

Did anyone see that Budweiser commercial where the wall turns and on
one side there is the refrigerator (full of Bud) and the other side
just a chair and some pictures. I love that idea. I could use that
in several ways in my house. For example. my computer desk. I'd love
to be able to rotate it into the closet so when I have guests they
dont mess with my computer. The last time we had a drinking party,
the next day my computer was all screwed up. Ever since, I just shut
off the breaker for that room, but it would be great to just rotate it
away. It would be nice to have the refrig rotate from the kitchen to
the living room too. How can a person make a wall rotate like that.
I know thats just a commercial, but I do think this is possible. I
suppose the floor, section of wall, and ceiling all have to rotate
together and have a pivot in the center. Has anyone ever tried this
sort of thing?

Thank U
Posted to alt.home.repair

Simple solution..stop having parties or use a protective password.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

wrote in message
[...]

When you have your party tonight, just shut the computer off. If you drunk
buddies don't have anything better to do, just lay some forks around....
your electrical outlets...

Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Oh my, I love this. Not that I'm planning on having a revolving fireplace
(what if someone tries to build a real fire?) and some of this is downright
silly but I do enjoy the idea of clever or surprising elements/features in a
house. This makes me think of my great grandmothers old farm house had
stairs with lift-up tops (i.e. you could lift up the top and each step was a
storage box). Those storage steps were forgotten and when they were opened
after decades, the contents were time capsules with letters, old clothes and
all sorts of wonderful junk. I was a kid then and was it was like finding
treasure.

We have pondered on how to creatively use the "wasted space" in our house.
We have a 1960s raised ranch with split entrance in front and back - there
is substantial wasted space under the foyers and stairs (as well as space
above the back stairs) that we think could be put to better use. And if it
could be done cleverly, well so much the better.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

chris jung wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I always wondered about having the stairs themselves raise up to gain
access for underneath storage, sort of like on the TV show The Monsters ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lucid

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Excellent. That is one of the coolest links I've seen posted on Usenet in
years. I'm just glad that there is a company that does that kind of thing.
If I win the lottery some day, I'll give them my business.

Luc

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Lucid wrote:
"MC" wrote in message
.. .
I always wondered about having the stairs themselves raise up to gain
access for underneath storage, sort of like on the TV show The Monsters ?

I'm sure that the engineering could be worked-out, but I might place a focus
on the strength of the staircase in normal use. The stairs might have to be
very heavy in order to be sturdy enough for use as normal stairs, but
hydraulic lifts could handle moving them. Beyond the Munsters similarity,
though, I don't see the attraction for this complex and expensive item.

A hidden entry to a reinforced panic room that could also serve as a
tornado/hurricane shelter might appeal to me. I'd go for a simple 'pull
this book' switch and a cleverly-concealed entrance.

Modern architecture is exceptionally boring and we will go down in history
as having been a dry spell for home design. Big barns with no particular
appeal are the norm. Creative elements would spice up our uninspired houses
significantly.

Luc

My Dad did this for my brother. He used a steel pipe in bearing blocks
so that a section of the wall would swing. It was for a secured and
hidden gun rack.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:35:19 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

[...]

How about a long on password? That might even keep you out of your
computer and protecting it during those drinking parties.

I did that once and forgot the password myself. The shut off circuit
breaker works too. I have another idea. A rotating wall for my water
heater. It's inside this tiny closet and is always near impossible to
drain or do maintenance. I'd like to make it so the water heater can
be brought to the outside to do maintenance and then rotated back into
the closet. Rigging the pipes is what puzzles me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:57:40 -0500, mm
wrote:

wrote:

I did that once and forgot the password myself. The shut off circuit
breaker works too. I have another idea. A rotating wall for my water
heater. It's inside this tiny closet and is always near impossible to
drain or do maintenance. I'd like to make it so the water heater can
be brought to the outside to do maintenance and then rotated back into
the closet. Rigging the pipes is what puzzles me.

Given the pipes, I wouldn't do that. Instead, leave the water heater
where it is and fix it up so you rotate the house.

Rotating the house would be a good idea when it's windy. That way the
house could be rotated for the least amount of wind infiltration.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob

wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:08:18 -0500, "Lucid"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
groups.com...

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Excellent. That is one of the coolest links I've seen posted on Usenet in
years. I'm just glad that there is a company that does that kind of
thing.
If I win the lottery some day, I'll give them my business.

Luc

Damnit
Now I want to see that site, but I got tired of all those flash ads
and I removed flash player since there is no way to just shut it off.

FlashSwitch is a free utility that puts an icon in your systray to turn on
an off flash. You can snag it at:
http://www.flashswitch.com/
--
Peace,
BobJ

I wish sites would stop using flash. All I see is a black box on my
screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:48:41 GMT, "Marilyn & Bob"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:08:18 -0500, "Lucid"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
egroups.com...

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Excellent. That is one of the coolest links I've seen posted on Usenet in
years. I'm just glad that there is a company that does that kind of
thing.
If I win the lottery some day, I'll give them my business.

Luc

Damnit
Now I want to see that site, but I got tired of all those flash ads
and I removed flash player since there is no way to just shut it off.

FlashSwitch is a free utility that puts an icon in your systray to turn on
an off flash. You can snag it at:
http://www.flashswitch.com/

Hey

This is GREAT...........
Now I can keep it turned off unless I really want it.
Some of these websites that have multiple flash ads were constantly
crashing my computer. I can play one flash movie with no trouble, but
more than one caused crashes. Even Ebay sellers are using those
annoying flash ads these days. They're getting as bad as popups.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Modern architecture is exceptionally boring and we will go down in history
as having been a dry spell for home design. Big barns with no particular
appeal are the norm. Creative elements would spice up our uninspired houses
significantly.

People don't buy homes anymore. They buy chunks of the housing
market. Why should it be a surprise that the buildings involved
look like commodities? That's what they ARE.

--Goedjn

MOREMONEY [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 8th 05 04:13 AM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
FAST CASH SYSTEM !!! tropicaldreamer Home Ownership 0 January 29th 05 03:08 AM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM