Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outting 220 on 110 outlet

I need 220 at a 110 outlet. I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red
and white. The white always goes to the silver screws and the black
and red are hot. The problem it says in my book that the green screw
is the ground. But I dont need a ground, so I just hooked the red
wire to the green screw. The outlet worked fine when I tested it, but
when I shoved it in the wallbox, it sparked and blew the breaker.
That wasn't supposed to happen and the wires are tight. Here is how I
wired it (below).

At first I thought I had a bad breaker so I held the breaker tight so
it would not blow. I figured if there was a crossed wire it would
just burn the bad part of the wire off. But it still blew. This is
making me angry. I pulled the outlet back out of the wallbox and now
it works again. Maybe I will just let it hang out of the wall since
it works that way but want to find out why.

BLACK [] [] WHITE (to silver screws)

O RED

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brilliant !

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

First of all circuit breakers trip internally, you can't hold them back.
Second, You are connecting a hot wire to the ground screw on your outlet,
which incidentally appears by your description to be a 120 volt outlet. The
box in the wall is clearly grounded so when you try to install your
completely incorrectly wired outlet into it you cause a short circuit

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
[...]

Why would you ASSUME you do not need a ground? Do you have a death wish? If
it is grounded there is a better chance no one will die.
Using a 120v outlet for a 240v application is marginal. They make 240v volt
recpts and cords for this application. The blades would be horizontal
instead of the way you show them.

Your incorrect on the colors, white is always ALWAYS a neutral, the grounded
conductor.
Colors are usually hots. Green or bare is a ground. Every outlet need a
ground, might not need a neutral. I suggest you get some help soon

Posted to alt.home.repair

dont laugh a buddy of mine did something like this the next owner of
his house will have to do a complete rewire.

he is a electrical engineer, retired, but plays fast and loose using
110 outlets for 220, and other nasties, like knob and tube, and 14
gauge wiring on 30 amp fuses.

he has a quaint idea, each floor should be on one fuse, so 220 doesnt
appear anywhere upstairs. he fails to realize 2 seperate failures would
have to occur at the same time, to generate 220 across 2 legs and
expose a person.

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Will he still be a troll when he is dead?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:43:44 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

First of all circuit breakers trip internally, you can't hold them back.

And if you could, the OP would have burned out the circuit breaker.

And maybe burned his hand, too.

Be careful OP. Don't anger Mother Nature.

Second, You are connecting a hot wire to the ground screw on your outlet,
which incidentally appears by your description to be a 120 volt outlet. The
box in the wall is clearly grounded so when you try to install your
completely incorrectly wired outlet into it you cause a short circuit

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , wrote:
I need 220 at a 110 outlet. I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red
and white. The white always goes to the silver screws and the black
and red are hot.

This is not correct. 220 needs 3 wires: black, red, and *bare*. White is for
neutral; there is no neutral in a pure 220 circuit. The *bare* wire goes to
the green screw.

The problem it says in my book that the green screw
is the ground.

Right.

But I dont need a ground,

Wrong.

so I just hooked the red
wire to the green screw.

Oops.

The outlet worked fine when I tested it,
but when I shoved it in the wallbox, it sparked and blew the breaker.

Well, no kidding. You connected a hot lead (red) to the ground terminal on the
outlet. Then when you put it into the metal box, you grounded that hot lead.

That wasn't supposed to happen and the wires are tight. Here is how I
wired it (below).

At first I thought I had a bad breaker so I held the breaker tight so
it would not blow. I figured if there was a crossed wire it would
just burn the bad part of the wire off. But it still blew.

On the off chance that you're really serious, and not just a troll... please
get a good book on electrical wiring, or hire an electrician. You don't know
nearly enough about this to do it safely. Please stop before you burn your
house down.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On 21 Feb 2006 20:32:02 -0800, kevin wrote:

Will he still be a troll when he is dead?

He's probably about twelve. Do you think daddy lets him do the house
wiring?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Giant Head

Probably a troll. Dick Foreman at Cocks Net? LOL

so I just hooked the red
wire to the green screw.

Why?

Maybe I will just let it hang out of the wall since
it works that way but want to find out why.

Connecting a hot wire to a ground screw. What did you expect would happen?

If by some small chance it it's not a troll I'd say it's solid proof how
you got your job as Foreman of Dicks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:19:14 -0600, wrote:

I need 220 at a 110 outlet.

How did you connect the 110V plug to that 220V appliance?

I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red
and white. The white always goes to the silver screws and the black
and red are hot. The problem it says in my book that the green screw
is the ground. But I dont need a ground, so I just hooked the red
wire to the green screw. The outlet worked fine when I tested it,

As a 110V outlet, and you didn't check the "ground".

but
when I shoved it in the wallbox, it sparked and blew the breaker.
That wasn't supposed to happen and the wires are tight.

You didn't know that's what short circuits do?

Here is how I
wired it (below).

At first I thought I had a bad breaker so I held the breaker tight so
it would not blow. I figured if there was a crossed wire it would
just burn the bad part of the wire off. But it still blew. This is
making me angry.

Hoping for a "Darwin Award"? :-)

I pulled the outlet back out of the wallbox and now
it works again. Maybe I will just let it hang out of the wall since
it works that way but want to find out why.

Would the purpose of this be electrocuting unsuspecting satellite-TV
installers? :-)

BLACK [] [] WHITE (to silver screws)

O RED

Dick

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:20:41 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On 21 Feb 2006 20:32:02 -0800, kevin wrote:

Will he still be a troll when he is dead?

He's probably about twelve. Do you think daddy lets him do the house
wiring?

There was a "Home Improvement" where that happened. Of course it was
Tim that got the sparks.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

This must be a joke. You almost had me thinking this was real but I
wised up. Nice try.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:19:14 -0600, wrote:

I need 220 at a 110 outlet. I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red
and white.

If you are in Canada and have kitchen outlets that are wired to a dual
breaker you can get 220V out of a regular duplex outlet.* First use a
multimeter to check the AC voltage across the Right Hand Slots of the
top and the bottom outlets. It should read 240 Vac (no load).
Measure the same across the Left Hand Slots, across the top and bottom
slots. It should read under 1Vac. Ground is ground.

My method replace the standard dual receptacle with one of those twist
lock ones
http://www.hardware-blog.com/blog/El...10/314745.html
so that there is no mistaking anyone plugging a regular 110V device
into it.

First switch off the power at the breaker to this outlet. Remove the
old outlet. Use a twist connector to isolate the (white) left hand
wires. Connect each (black) right hand wire , the pair that reads
240Vac across, to the each of the twist lock receptacle poles. Ground
is ground. There you are a 220Vac outlet.

*The reason for having separate breakers for the top and bottom
kitchen receptacles is, I was told, oftentimes they are overloaded
with too many appliances drawing power at the same time. If one
breaker pops from overload there is at least one remaining that works.
Quite a few people do not know where or how to reset the breaker.