Posted to alt.home.repair
Newfie

Default Tiles fell off in shower

There has to be a reason for the tiles to fall off. I know gravity is
one of them but if they were installed correctly in the first place,
they would not move. Check to see if there is water leak, excessive
vibration etc.. Is the drywall damaged in any way? If not go ahead
with the silicone adhesive. If you drywall is damaged, replace it and
use good adhesive.

Ignoramus15467 wrote:
In our basement shower, several tiles fell off. Behind them is
drywall. The tiles are not broken and I would prefer to just glue them
back in if possible. What glue and process would you recommend.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

All it took was a little water to re-liquify the drywall mud and the tile
drops off. I know, this happened to my shower that was built in the early
70s. Ripped it all out, javexed the mold, and rebuilt the shower with
Wonderboard then installed new tiles with thinset. Lasted over 20 years, no
signs of any failure.

"Ignoramus15467" wrote in message
On 21 Feb 2006 11:57:37 -0800, Newfie wrote:
There has to be a reason for the tiles to fall off. I know gravity is
one of them but if they were installed correctly in the first place,
they would not move. Check to see if there is water leak, excessive
vibration etc.. Is the drywall damaged in any way? If not go ahead
with the silicone adhesive. If you drywall is damaged, replace it and
use good adhesive.

Drywall appears to be undamaged. My theory is that water penetrated
bad grout seals. The house is abotu 25 yo.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Ignoramus3408 says...

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:45:02 GMT, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:23:33 GMT, Ignoramus15467
wrote:

That's true. I hate doing these sort of jobs (redoing the shower). I
have two kids and the older is very disruptive to doing any sort of
continuous work because a) he only wants to play with me and b) he
always wants to help, which means that I have to watch him not to fall
on stuff and not to glue himself to the wall etc. come up with stuff
for him to do so that he thinks he is helping, and yet does not ruin
anything, etc. 4.5 years old.

I can sympathize ... I have a grand daughter about that age. The
wheels never stop turning.

It's not a particular hard or messy job .... it really means two
days of getting at it ... and a third of finishing up. (That said,
I have a bathroom in our cabin that's been waiting for tile for nearly
a year and a half. I'll procrastinate as soon as I get around to it.
g)

But busted tiles are sharp and drywall edges can hurt small (and
large) hands.

Maybe get a baby sitter? Wait till the kid is at nursery school?
Whatever.

Thanks.. We have a baby sitter, it is not helpful. When my son is at
kindergarten school, I am at work. I cannot do anything for more than
5 minutes continuously because of the kid issue.

Now wait.

I am a single mother who raised my son alone from birth. Even in my case, there
are naptimes; there are after-bedtimes. Even if there aren't neighbors or
relatives willing to take on the child for a day or so. I'm fairly sure you
mentioned a spouse? If so, surely you two can tag-team.

I understand about not being able to do certain things at all with a small child
underfoot. But I can't believe that the small child has to be *always*
underfoot.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Banty wrote:
[...]

I believe that's why they invented velcro, Chinese finger cuffs and
rubber mallets. Nap time. Bonk!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus15467 in
:

On 21 Feb 2006 11:57:37 -0800, Newfie wrote:
There has to be a reason for the tiles to fall off. I know gravity is
one of them but if they were installed correctly in the first place,
they would not move. Check to see if there is water leak, excessive
vibration etc.. Is the drywall damaged in any way? If not go ahead
with the silicone adhesive. If you drywall is damaged, replace it and
use good adhesive.

Drywall appears to be undamaged. My theory is that water penetrated
bad grout seals. The house is abotu 25 yo.

Avoid using real silicone on anything you won't in the future repair by completely removing.
"Paintable silicone" caulk is not as strong, but may somewhat adhere to "real" silicone
caulk.

Here's how I fixed the exact same trouble in a rental (green drywall over tarpaper over
studs. tile adhesive to drywall):
Condition: Edge of tub at corner (faucet and exterior walls), tiles falling off, drywall soggy.
Remove exposed. Drywall let area dry. Insert 1-by-3 across behind drywall (in the hole) I
think I glued it to the back of the drywall, and maybe adhesive to studs? I don't recall. I
may have used drywall piece to replace the removed area (since I didn't expect the repair
to last long). Be sure the drywall piece does not extend down to the ledge of the tub, else
it will soak up water. Prime with good sealer shellac-based should be good (I don't recall if I
used oil-based primer or shellac based).

This repair lasted for 3? 5 years? More? I don't recall. Place was sold within 10 years later.

Reset cleaned tile and simultaneously "re-grout" with lots of two-part epoxy, paste-type.
Original grout had been white. The epoxy cures to somewhat pale greenish color and semi-
gloss. Not worth worrying about, imo.

I did a lesser repair where the same green crap under a small window had become soaked
underneath the tile. In that case I simply let the greencrap dry, since it was still strong
(and well-backed since it had been laid over the sill framing). Then prime the crap, re
attached the tile, and replaced the caulk in the window area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

forgot to mentipn another rental tile on drywall (same era, 70's) soap dish was loose. i
dried the drywall, primed, same paste epoxy. it's been good at least 7 years. (i check it
often). the rest of the tile is ok, but someone used silicon along the bottom (ledge not
aluminum doorframe) so i'm now dealing with that ****.

tile on anything but concrete and silicon (on anything but windows?) should be banned,
imo
Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Marina says...

Banty wrote in
:

In article , Ignoramus3408
says...

wrote:

[...]

PULEESE!!!!!!!
You must have a quiet child. If you have a child that is very active you
can't do ANYTHING. Always getting into everything they have to be watched
all the time. You never know what ideas they will dream up. Mine never
took naps. Put her in the crib with the sides pulled up and she climbed
out. Go,go,go all day and most of the night. If you have a normal kid you
just don't know about these active types.

Oh PULEESE yourself. This is just excusifying.

There's a whole LIST of things that aren't happening to for him to be so
limited. I think the OP has painted himself into a corner on this somehow. For
instance, how is it he has a babysitter but that's "not helpful". "Not helpful"
how?? How is it his spouse is so useless in this regard? Although I'm sure
you'll insist he's in some tiny percentage with an active child AND a useless
spouse AND no friends AND no neighbors they know AND no relatives nearby AND no
vacation time AND a "non-helpful" babysitter.

If it's all such a problem, he can hire someone.

Banty