Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Septic System(s) Questions ?

Hello,

Have two questions, please.

Live in a house that has two separate septic systems. They are changed over
from one to the other via a small junction box located after the tank where
the solid wastes are collected, and pumped out periodically.

a. The system now in use is a "pit," (I don't think that they are in use or
approved any more for new construction ?) although I'm sure it has a fancier
name. Goes vertically into the ground, is precast concrete I think, and has
many holes for the water to leach out. About two years ago it stopped
leaching very well, and the contractor that came used a high pressure pump
and wand to try and clean out the inside of it. Also many pounds of
chemicals. Worked O.K. up until now.

So, since the chemicals and high pressure was didn't work all that well, two
years not being a very long time, what should I do now ?

Is there such a thing as a steam cleaning of the inside, assuming that this
is where the problem is, or is most likely that the ground around the pit is
all clogged up ? I would imagine that a steram cleaning, if there is such a
process and treatment, would be much more effectivce.

Or, should I just go to the other system, which is a typical leaching bed.

b. But the other system hasn't been used in probably 10 years by now.
I would imagine that the porous pipes are by now all filled with dirt.
Is this likely ?

Is the soil "bed" likely to rejuvunate itself after about 10 years ?
How should they be cleaned if I do changeover ? Steam, or... ?

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Septic user he 500 gallon tank, concrete, long runs, leech
field about 50' long out back by woods.

Two years isn't necessarily a bad time between cleanouts. Some
recommend it be done yearly. You -can- get much longer times
between cleanings, but in order to do that, you need to educate
yourself on septic tank usage and preventive maintenance, which
really is very simply and not more than using the right product
now and then. We haven't had to have our tank pumped now going
on 11 years. Another way to read that is, since the kids left
home g!

Go to your favorite search engine site (I use google.com) and do
a search for "septic tank operation" (using the quotes), and
you'll be able to learn lots about them.
Lots of info online about them.

HTH,

Pop

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

snip

So, since the chemicals and high pressure was didn't work all that well,
two years not being a very long time, what should I do now ?

Three year intervals are required by law around here.

Is there such a thing as a steam cleaning of the inside, assuming that
this is where the problem is, or is most likely that the ground around the
pit is all clogged up ? I would imagine that a steram cleaning, if there
is such a process and treatment, would be much more effectivce.

Or, should I just go to the other system, which is a typical leaching bed.

This would be my choice. The pit has nothing going for it and is a
throwback to
the cesspools of old. Septic fields are a step up.

b. But the other system hasn't been used in probably 10 years by now.
I would imagine that the porous pipes are by now all filled with dirt.
Is this likely ?

Not likely at all. Why would it cave in? The leech field is pipe layed on
and
surrounded by crushed stone of a specified size. It's still there.

Is the soil "bed" likely to rejuvunate itself after about 10 years ?

No need to rejuvenate. It's the microbes in the tank which do the work. As
Pop
said, do a little resesarch and get thee an education on the subject. The
biggest
things to remember are 1) Limit the amount of fats that you allow down the
drain.
Wipe out pans before washing them. 2) No anti-bacterial soaps and
cleansers.
They are bad for all of us anyway. 3) As little food as possible in the
tank.
4) No harsh chems, like solvents. 5) No sanitary napkins or tampons.

How should they be cleaned if I do changeover ? Steam, or... ?

No cleaning necessary

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Robert,

Whether your leach field has sat long enough to be a good filter again
really depends on the soil conditions and the amount of rain that you've
had. So no one here can give you a good answer. Talk to the local septic
guy, the local ag extension guy, the county health guy, et c. Do not tell
these folks that you think your system is failing. Remember that if your
septic system had multiple problems a rejuvenated leach field does not mean
that the system will still work.
You mention pumping and cleaning your "pit" but do not explain why it
needed this or how this was supposed to rejuvenate it. Since it needs it
again you may be dumping solids into the pit which means that you are not
pumping your septic tank enough or the chemicals did not do a good job of
rejuvenating the soil.

Dave M.

preparing an offer on house that has easement for septic tank in neighbors yard [email protected] Home Ownership 23 March 13th 06 08:46 PM
Septic Frozen? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 27 December 20th 05 11:17 AM
septic problem gnb Home Repair 27 April 4th 05 01:53 PM
Locating septic leach lines for construction? Don Wallace Home Repair 12 September 15th 04 05:27 PM
Septic tanks, garbage disposals, dishwashers. rile Home Repair 11 July 28th 04 05:53 AM