Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Default When to replace a car battery

I have a 1997 car, that I bought used. II owned the car for 5 years. I don't know how long the 2nd
car battery (sears) is in place. I recently went on a trip, and my batter died while car was sitting
in garage for 3 weeks. I charged battery, and it died again, 2 months later. However, I really don't
use car that much. Maybe 30-60 minutes of driving per week.

How do I know, that the battery is good or bad, since when charged, it lasted about 2 months of very
light driving.

I have a trickle charger, but am wondering if the battery is bad, and is time to be replaced. I do
not know how old this battery is.

If the car battery is bad, rather than keep a trickle charger on the battery, I was hoping that
driving 30-60 minutes a week, is long enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you please provide some input.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually the battery has a date code on the top that is punched out by
the installer.

However isn't your time worth a $75 new battery. Each time it failed
it took how long to get it back working? When you have the battery
changed most places will also check your charging system so you can be
sure it was just the battery.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

[...]

Hi,
Aging battery holds less and less charge. I'd replace it before it dies
on you completey. If it creates internal short due to structure fatigue,
it can damage alternator and/or regulator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can buy a battery tester at Walmart or an auto parts store for
about $5 or less. You suck up some of the liquid and they little
balls float to tell you the condition. Or for a more reliable test,
just take the battery to some place that sells batteries and have them
test it for you. Usually free, but be sure to WATCH THEM or they may
just try to sell you a new batt. You could have a bad alternator too,
and that can also be tested at a place like that. Autozone does all
that testing if you have one nearby.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:46:04 -0500, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Batteries don't last forever. Yours is way passed shelf life. So get a
new one and be happy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Howard and Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a new battery on the weekend.

I am trying to find out, if a good battery can hold its charge on 30-60 minutes of car use per
week?

Thanks much,

- Larry

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
You can buy a battery tester at Walmart or an auto parts store for
about $5 or less. You suck up some of the liquid and they little
balls float to tell you the condition.

Except that most barreries are seal today.

Or for a more reliable test,
just take the battery to some place that sells batteries and have them
test it for you. Usually free, but be sure to WATCH THEM or they may
just try to sell you a new batt. You could have a bad alternator too,
and that can also be tested at a place like that. Autozone does all
that testing if you have one nearby.

Be sure the belt is tight also. I've seen people replace batteries and
alternators when all they needed was to have the belt tensioned properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One common failure syndrome:
-alternator belt slowly loosens, reducing output
-battery plates "sulfate"- crystals form on them, reducing ability to
store and return charge
-problems with starting.

Check s.g. of electrolyte in cells. If one or more notably lower than
others, recycle it. If all are low- in mid-range of s.g., try a
voltage-regulated charger for a week or 10 days. If no progress,
recycle; else keep charging for another week.

Of course, make sure alternator is properly driven, and that output
voltage is regulated to specs.

You'd be amazed how many perfectly serviceable batteries get tossed as
a result of such a simple problem. I've resurrected quite a few, and
put them back into service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Practically all of my driving "misadventures" over the last 60 years were
due to battery failures.

I have not had any problems since I used the following procedu

I thoroughly check anything from tire pressure to drive belts and oil every
3 months or 3000 miles. At that time I also check the battery: I measure the
battery voltage before I start, turn on the headlights for 15 minutes (heavy
battery drain) and then measure the battery voltage again. Voltage should be
the same or a tad less, unless the battery is getting weak.

I also buy only batteries recommended by consumer reports and change them
out every three years. regardless of condition. 25 bucks a year is cheap
insurance against being stranded somewhere in the boonies.

This system has not let me down in the last 20 years.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Maybe I am getting old.. but I just replace the batterty at first sign
of trouble.. it just isn't worth the suckiness of having it die on you.

My recomendation is picking one up at Costco (or I assume Sams Club has
them as well) they are $45 bucks or so. I have personally been very
pleased with Costco ones.. and have probably put 5 or 6 in a variety of
different cars over the last 8 years or so..

at the risk of getting kicked out of the "manly-man club".. I don't do
any maintenance on them.. they are all sealed these days.. I guess if
it looks overly dirty I would wipe it off.. but I have never seen that
become a problem..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Hi Jack

If you replace your battery when it gives you trouble, it is too late
already. You are courting with real inconvenience and expense.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe I am getting old.. but I just replace the batterty at first sign
of trouble.. it just isn't worth the suckiness of having it die on you.

My recomendation is picking one up at Costco (or I assume Sams Club has
them as well) they are $45 bucks or so. I have personally been very
pleased with Costco ones.. and have probably put 5 or 6 in a variety of
different cars over the last 8 years or so..

at the risk of getting kicked out of the "manly-man club".. I don't do
any maintenance on them.. they are all sealed these days.. I guess if
it looks overly dirty I would wipe it off.. but I have never seen that
become a problem..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Kim Smith

I like both of you! I'm going to open a battery shop. I'd make a ton
of money!

Maybe some day I can bring my DVOM over and show you battery draw on the
top of a dirty battery!

Walter R. wrote:

Hi Jack

If you replace your battery when it gives you trouble, it is too late
already. You are courting with real inconvenience and expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:48:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
You can buy a battery tester at Walmart or an auto parts store for
about $5 or less. You suck up some of the liquid and they little
balls float to tell you the condition.

Except that most barreries are seal today.

I have never yet gotten one thats sealed. Some say they are, but the
caps still come off. They just make them so they are not as easy to
get off. I have noticed less of that in the last few years too. That
was a stupid idea to start with. Just like oilless motors, another
stupid idea.

Or for a more reliable test,
just take the battery to some place that sells batteries and have them
test it for you. Usually free, but be sure to WATCH THEM or they may
just try to sell you a new batt. You could have a bad alternator too,
and that can also be tested at a place like that. Autozone does all
that testing if you have one nearby.

Be sure the belt is tight also. I've seen people replace batteries and
alternators when all they needed was to have the belt tensioned properly.

Yes, a good point.
To the OP, if your car has a amp gauge or volt gauge, be sure its
showing on the PLUS side (charging) If its says volts, it should read
around 13 to 14 when the car is running. If you got a light, you cant
tell much unless it lights. (Sometimes the gauges also say CHARGING or
BATTERY instead of the other words.

If you are having the cold snap we are having in the midwest, you will
soon find out if that battery works. They are talking 30 below tonite.
Damn I hate cold weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
Howard and Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a new battery on the weekend.

I am trying to find out, if a good battery can hold its charge on
30-60 minutes of car use per week?

Thanks much,

- Larry

That is plenty of time driving, but depending on the car even a week
without driving can a problem. All those alarm systems etc tend to draw
current. Any time a battery is allowed to go dead it reduces it's capacity.
Many people have problems with excessive dark drain (electric usage with the
car not running). Many places will check your battery for free. Since you
are considering replacing yours now, why not have the check it first. Most
can check the charging system at the same time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:26:20 -0500, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:

Howard and Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a new battery on the weekend.

I am trying to find out, if a good battery can hold its charge on 30-60 minutes of car use per
week?

Thanks much,

If you are just going a couple miles at a time to the grocery store,
and especially now when you are using the heater, and possible
headlights, you are not charging enough. A trickle charger at least
once a week on your NEW battery would be a good idea. You do know
that short trips are hard on the engine too. Take it out for a brisk
drive once a week on the highway and you wont need to charge the batt
and it will help your engine. Doing short trips like you do means you
should change your oil more often too.

PS. Short drives also hurt the exhaust system, because water
condensation builds up, and it never gets hot enough to dry it out.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Yup, there is a reason why AAA now has special vans ("The Battery Van") that
do nothing but take care of battery replacements for stranded motorists.
Confirms what I said about battery problems being the # 1 problem for
motorists. Who wants to drive around with a questionable battery or a
battery that has been patched up??

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Walter R. wrote:

Hi Jack

If you replace your battery when it gives you trouble, it is too late
already. You are courting with real inconvenience and expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

I am just not sure what you folks are doing to get "dirty batteries".
Maybe you are off-roaders. Again, I may well be kicked out of the
Manly-man club.. but I just drive my cars and van on city streets.. the
thing doesn't seem to get all that dirty.. and I get how macho it
sounds to say to the wife "Gotta go our and maintain battery in cars
honey.. be back in a few hours" but with modern batteries what exactly
do you do? There is nothing to fill.. or check the level... what
exactly do you guys do.. I suppose you can put a meter across it an
check the voltage.. but what else?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Kim Smith

Jack wrote:

I am just not sure what you folks are doing to get "dirty batteries".
Maybe you are off-roaders. Again, I may well be kicked out of the
Manly-man club.. but I just drive my cars and van on city streets.. the
thing doesn't seem to get all that dirty.. and I get how macho it
sounds to say to the wife "Gotta go our and maintain battery in cars
honey.. be back in a few hours" but with modern batteries what exactly
do you do? There is nothing to fill.. or check the level... what
exactly do you guys do.. I suppose you can put a meter across it an
check the voltage.. but what else?

How macho is it to have to push your car out of an intersection?
Especially when she has to steer it while you push. Look at the scowl
on her face.

For maintenance free batteries, keep the top clean. Wash it off, dry
it. Simple. Check where the cables and post connect. If you see the
beginnings of corrosion, remove, clean and reattach.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimbo

Shelf Life normally refers to the time an item is, literally, on the
shelf and not in use. His battery's working life is over.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

[...]

Its bad when it no longer satisfies your needs. If you don't like the
trickle charging then a new battery will certainly reduce your need to
do that. Alarms/RKE/Remote Start and other ignition-off drains will
cause you to have to do it more.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

To answer based on the subject line only:

Our family has used the rule of 4 winters of use living in
the northern half if the USA. Beyond that the battery may
work but one never knows for how long. Simply easier to
pick a warm comfy day to change it out on my schedule, not
waiting until it has failed.

Any money wasted on a earlier than needed replacement offset
my not needing a tow later on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

[...]

A battery that won't hold a charge for 3 weeks is
bad. Unless, there is something in the vehicle
that is draining the battery. Installed a radio
once that clock and keeper circuit would drain a
battery in 3-4 weeks.

30-60 minutes a week of driving should keep a good
battery up. If it doesn't keep your battery up,
then replace the battery. Better yet, get a
Harbor Freight $4 Volt-ohm meter and use it to
check the battery. Should read 12.65V 24 hours
after charging or driving the vehicle. If it
drops to around 12.40V after 24 hours of charging
or not driving, it is probably sulfated and just
won't hold a full charge and you need to buy a new
battery.
Quit futzing around and spend $55 for a new battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

[...]

Yes. The battery in my pickup if fine with
sitting for 2-3 months without driving. Even the
old battery in my Explorer, which would only hold
about half of the charge, would start the vehicle
after 2 months of non use.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

wrote:
Theres the full load test. The battery is fully charged and a heavy
100+ amp load is put on it for a specific time, batter voltage shouldnt
drop below 10.5 or something like that.

I USED to have lots of battery alternator troubles, they are largely
hostory

Buy brand new premium battery every 3 to 4 years and just replace it, I
give my old battery to a buddy with a windmill for his battery bank.

At $25 bucks a year its cheap insurance, and I have way fewer
alternator failures.

my theory is that failing batterys put a heavy load on the alternator
leading to failure.

the original posters battery is well past its lifespan, time to replace
it

Well i use them until they show signs of not working. Typically this
happens when I inadvertently leave the dome lamp on overnight and it
does not start the next morning. But often I still wont replace it. I
dont do much traveling, so im not concerned. If I am going to take a
trip then ill probably service a lot of things.

You are correct about a failing battery. Not only can it be a load on
the alternator, but it can cause the alternator to load everything else
in the car. In automotive world we call it a "load dump" test. Running
a car without a battery installed is a bad idea. The battery acts like
a giant capacitor. Without it components can be damaged. We design to
deal with this situation nowadays, but the bottom line is that it is a
bad situation so your advice of replacing routinely can't realy be
argued against.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair

My battery fail;ures in the past tended to be ZERO days and places with
no heat or convenient place to wait for tow.

for ME its just not worth the inconvenience of getting stuck

Incidently temp extremes espically cold cause the biggest load,
cranking engine with stiff oil, and thats why more fail at that time.

The last battery that died for me was last summer, it died in my
driveway, came in fine, my 200 amp boost charger wouldnt budge it,
neither would AAA battery truck, I told AAA a jump wouldnt work, ended
up having a second truck for a tow.

battery was shorted

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D

Lawrence,
No, a new decent battery should hold up just fine with 30-60 minutes a
week if the Alternator is good, and there is not an amperage draw coming
from somwhere.

Alternators do begin to go in time also. I had one go on my '97 Chevy
Tahoe, which has relatively low mileage, in which it didn't seem to
throw sufficient voltage. (Virtaully all modern Alternators nowdays have
internal Voltage Reguilators)

Same with the battery, I had it tested, and sure, after the drive to a
shop, it appeared to be fine, but it actually wasn't.

Modern on board computers shouldn't draw so much amerage, that a car is
dead a week later. Neither should an Auto Alam, but if one of them
becomes faulty, then yes, they can eat brand new batteries quite
quickly.

I would also make sure that no lights are being somehow left on, like a
tunk light, hood light, or glove compartment light.

Should a new battery be installed, and you're suffering the same problem
still, then I'm certain you have other problems as I mention above, as
an amperage drawe from somewhere, or a bad Alternator. Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

It only takes five minutes or so to charge a battery back after starting the
car, so as long as you keep the motor on at least five minutes each time you
start the motor, you'll be fine.

I find that auto batteries last about 10 months less than the rated age. For
example, a 60 month battery dies about 50 months.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
Howard and Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a new battery on the weekend.

I am trying to find out, if a good battery can hold its charge on 30-60
minutes of car use per
week?

Thanks much,

- Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I agree completely. Four years of service is about right. Simple, and
straight answer. Well done, sir!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jim" wrote in message ...
To answer based on the subject line only:

Our family has used the rule of 4 winters of use living in
the northern half if the USA. Beyond that the battery may
work but one never knows for how long. Simply easier to
pick a warm comfy day to change it out on my schedule, not
waiting until it has failed.

Any money wasted on a earlier than needed replacement offset
my not needing a tow later on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in
:

[...]

The problem is;the battery's plates SULFATE(when seldom used) and the
internal resistance of the battery goes way up.
That drops too much voltage under cranking currents.
Also,modern cars draw some current even while not running.

A float charger on the battery while it's sitting unused would help.
You might want to wire up a quick-disconnect plug/socket so the charger can
easily be connected or disconnected,without muss or fuss.(no need to even
open the hood,if that's the way you do it.)

But first,start with a known good battery.
Wal-Mart sells them very at low cost.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

It only takes five minutes or so to charge a battery back after
starting the car, so as long as you keep the motor on at least five
minutes each time you start the motor, you'll be fine.

I find that auto batteries last about 10 months less than the rated
age. For example, a 60 month battery dies about 50 months.

It depends on outside temperatures and how much vibration or shock the
battery gets(dislodges material from the plate's grids,eventually shorting
the cell).Hot climates evaporate water from the electrolyte sooner.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I might add some vehicles today put the battery in the trunk, my wifes
cobalt is like that. Battery should last longer away from engines
extreme heat.

A buddy works for sears. Some cars require a lift to replace their
battery

Jack up car, remove front left wheel, remove front left inner fender
liner, now replace battery

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

First, keep your battery clean, because some dirt conducts
electricity. Either mix baking soda with warm water, or do it the
lazy way like I do it. Pour baking soda over the top of the battery,
especially near the ternminals, especially the negative I think. And
then slowly pour warm or hot water over the battery. When there is no
more bubbling, it's clean enough afaik.

According to Pat Goss, who is the best car guy I know of, and is
wasted on Motor Week where he deals mostly with car models and not car
innards, the car is using excessive electricity when it i s not on if
it is sufficient to light a ??? lightbulb.

I can't remember the number and I'dhave to search my house to find it.
It's 57 or 93 or 92 or 53, I think, or close. It's a little spherical
incandescent bulb that used to be used a lot for dash or glovebox
lights. It has a bayonet mount, one filament, the outer case is the
ground, and the center solder place is the + side. Does anyone know
which bulb I mean?

When I had a very old battery, it would go dead if I didn't drive
until the third day. Eventually it only took until the second day
(skipping only one day.) So when I went away for Thanksgiving, I
disconnected the battery and reconnected when I got home. The battery
was fine. Using the lightbulb above, I confirmed that I was draining
too much electricity and eventually I reallized that the pager
attachement on my burglar alarm was really not an attachment but a
separate alarm. So I was probably using twice what I should have
been. Still, if I had used half of what I was using, it would have
only lasted 2 to 4 days.

I guess it was before I had figured all this out that I bought a
Battery Buddy. Not cheap ($60?? I forget) but worth every penny.

In the following year, it tripped maybe 100 times, and there was
always enough electricity in the battry when I reset it to start the
car.

The radio presets were lost each time, and the time, and some alleged
values that make the car run better with time. Alhthough I never got
any impression that my 88 LeBaron ran any worse after the battery was
disconnected and recon.. than before then.

So if you're not going to run the car a lot, I recomment the Battry
Buddy, (or maybe the 2 simlar products that have other names.)

OR,

There's nothing wrong with a trickle charger. In 1967, I had a '50
Olds that used a 6 volt battery, and it was hard to start on the cold
days of the Chicago winter. So I plugged in a 1 amp trickle charger.
It didn't do enough when set on 6 volts so i set it on 12. I decided
to leave it on whenever I was parked, so I put the charger inside the
hood and let the cord extend a bit out of the grill. It ran all
winter, tripping its circuit breaker about every 40 seconds for 4
months, and resetting after 10 seconds, That is, it tripped about
270,000 times, without damage to it. I still have the charger 38
years later and it still works fine (although I did replace the
diodes.)

I would think a 1amp 12 volt trickle charger would do fine, and you'd
only have to plug it in on the times you wren't going to drive for a
few days..

wrote:

[...]

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 18 Feb 2006 00:31:46 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

The problem is;the battery's plates SULFATE(when seldom used) and the

I think they sulfate when they are charged too quickly. After a
battery is fully or mostly discharged, for whatever reason, people
might put a 10 ot 20 or 50 amp charger on the battery, so they can get
going quickly. Service stations are even more likely to do this.
While lead is being deposited on the plates, particles of lead sulfate
are trapped under the lead, It's covered, and not broken down into
lead and sulfate (which combines to make sufuric acid).. Later, when
the battery is being used again, the lead participates in making
electricity, but the lead sulfate is a big dissappointment.

This is why I used to run the battery down by mistake, I would run the
headlights and especially the fan motor while I was driving the car.
To keep the battery from charging too quickly. I'm not sure how well
this worked, (the ammeter seemed to show that the charging rate was
only sllightly lower with these things running, but I figured even
that slight amount would help, and I wasn't going to readjust the
regulator for these rare occasions) but the problem is solved by your
suggestion below, to use a trickle charger (which iirc is the same as
a float charger.)

internal resistance of the battery goes way up.
That drops too much voltage under cranking currents.
Also,modern cars draw some current even while not running.

A float charger on the battery while it's sitting unused would help.
You might want to wire up a quick-disconnect plug/socket so the charger can
easily be connected or disconnected,without muss or fuss.(no need to even
open the hood,if that's the way you do it.)

Good ideas. When I was doing this, I put the charger under the hood,
near the battery, and ran the regular cord out through the grill. It
was quick enough to plug and unplug from an extension cord.

But first,start with a known good battery.
Wal-Mart sells them very at low cost.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:41:05 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:48:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
You can buy a battery tester at Walmart or an auto parts store for
about $5 or less. You suck up some of the liquid and they little
balls float to tell you the condition.

Except that most barreries are seal today.

I have never yet gotten one thats sealed. Some say they are, but the
caps still come off. They just make them so they are not as easy to
get off.

They make them like that so they will look like "maintenance-free"
batteries. Back when everyone wanted Maintenance Free. ONce you
find the right point to pry, there as easy to get off as any 3-cell
cap.

I have noticed less of that in the last few years too. That
was a stupid idea to start with. Just like oilless motors, another
stupid idea.

A lot of oilless motors have oil impregnated bearings. When the
bearing heats up a little, oil emerges from it, and iiuc is
sufficient. When the motor stops, the oil soaks back into the bearing.

AIUI, that's a very good idea.

Or for a more reliable test,
just take the battery to some place that sells batteries and have them
test it for you. Usually free, but be sure to WATCH THEM or they may
just try to sell you a new batt. You could have a bad alternator too,
and that can also be tested at a place like that. Autozone does all
that testing if you have one nearby.

Be sure the belt is tight also. I've seen people replace batteries and
alternators when all they needed was to have the belt tensioned properly.

Very good point.

Yes, a good point.
To the OP, if your car has a amp gauge or volt gauge, be sure its
showing on the PLUS side (charging) If its says volts, it should read
around 13 to 14 when the car is running. If you got a light, you cant

He could use a regular external meter also. Try it at various engine
speeds, although it should be just about the same at all of them.

tell much unless it lights. (Sometimes the gauges also say CHARGING or
BATTERY instead of the other words.

If you are having the cold snap we are having in the midwest, you will
soon find out if that battery works. They are talking 30 below tonite.

Wow! Are you in the midwest that is east of the Mississippi, or the
one that is west of it? (There are two, for some reason.)

Damn I hate cold weather.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:11:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

To answer based on the subject line only:

Our family has used the rule of 4 winters of use living in
the northern half if the USA. Beyond that the battery may
work but one never knows for how long. Simply easier to
pick a warm comfy day to change it out on my schedule, not
waiting until it has failed.

Any money wasted on a earlier than needed replacement offset
my not needing a tow later on.

I solve that by carrying battery jumper cables. Though not as easy to
get a jump as it used to be, I've never needed a tow. Once I got one
from a young good-looking woman. It was nice to meet a girl who
wasn't a fraidy-cat.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Mys Terry wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:38:06 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Batteries don't last forever. Yours is way passed shelf life. So get a
new one and be happy

How do you know it is way passed the shelf life.
He has had the car for 5 years and doesn't know
when the battery was bought.

5 years for a car battery is about average in the northeast US.

Mys Terry

And you know that how? Most batteries now come
with 72 or 84 month guarantee. I haven't bought a
vehicle battery with a guarantee shorter than 60
months since at least the mid 70's. I would
expect that the average battery life would be in
excess of the guarantee, otherwise the battery
company would be losing money. So northeasterners
must buy cheap batteries (less than a 60 month
guarantee). Do vehicle batteries even come with a
48 month guarantee anymore?