Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

Default Front entry door problem

"Jim" wrote in message ...

| Hello all,
|
| I hope someone can help me solve my problem with my front entry door.
| It is a double entry door 30 inch doors and standard height. The house
| is a masonary block home. The problem is I need to replace the door but
| the current door was modified to fit the rough in that is 1/4 inch to
| small in the vertical when the house was built. I would like to install
| a prehung door, the current doors are made out of particle board and the
| bottoms were cut down to allow them to fit. The frame is also made out
| of wood. Both frame and doors are rotting so I need to replace both. Any
| help would nice.
| Thanks,
|
| Jim

I had to do something like that recently.

Just get your prehung, knock the threshold etc. apart and nip 1/4" off the risers.
Put it all back together and install. No one will ever know without a tape.

--
PDQ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

Thanks PDQ, but the house is a concrete slab.

Jim

PDQ wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message ...

| Hello all,
|
| I hope someone can help me solve my problem with my front entry door.
| It is a double entry door 30 inch doors and standard height. The house
| is a masonary block home. The problem is I need to replace the door but
| the current door was modified to fit the rough in that is 1/4 inch to
| small in the vertical when the house was built. I would like to install
| a prehung door, the current doors are made out of particle board and the
| bottoms were cut down to allow them to fit. The frame is also made out
| of wood. Both frame and doors are rotting so I need to replace both. Any
| help would nice.
| Thanks,
|
| Jim

I had to do something like that recently.

Just get your prehung, knock the threshold etc. apart and nip 1/4" off the risers.
Put it all back together and install. No one will ever know without a tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Jim wrote:
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me solve my problem with my front entry door.
It is a double entry door 30 inch doors and standard height. The house
is a masonary block home. The problem is I need to replace the door
but the current door was modified to fit the rough in that is 1/4
inch to small in the vertical when the house was built. I would like
to install a prehung door, the current doors are made out of particle
board and the bottoms were cut down to allow them to fit. The frame
is also made out of wood. Both frame and doors are rotting so I need
to replace both. Any help would nice.
Thanks,

Pre-hung doors can be disassembled. Do so.

Remove 1/4" where necessary (saw, plane, whatever). Re-assemble and install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could also use a masonary saw to trim the top of the door frame, a
dirty but DIY job.

I believe stanley has a custom order ability, you might look into that.
I heard about it since my kitchen door is very narrow and theres no
easy way to widen the rough in.

its on the too do list waiting for the $$$

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

have your carpenter determine the cause of the rotting and install
proper materials to prevent damage to the new installation.
there may be a drainage plane behind the brick that is not properly
behaving. see the free pdf 52 pages at: also more at their pages and
search them too:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...r_Renovate.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

PDQ wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message ...

| Hello all,
|
| I hope someone can help me solve my problem with my front entry door.
| It is a double entry door 30 inch doors and standard height. The house
| is a masonary block home. The problem is I need to replace the door but
| the current door was modified to fit the rough in that is 1/4 inch to
| small in the vertical when the house was built. I would like to install
| a prehung door, the current doors are made out of particle board and the
| bottoms were cut down to allow them to fit. The frame is also made out
| of wood. Both frame and doors are rotting so I need to replace both. Any
| help would nice.
| Thanks,
|
| Jim

I had to do something like that recently.

Just get your prehung, knock the threshold etc. apart and nip 1/4" off the risers.
Put it all back together and install. No one will ever know without a tape.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:10:39 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Thanks PDQ, but the house is a concrete slab.

Jim

I think you should read PDQ's letter again. It has notthing to do
with whehter it is a concrete slab or not.

(I like to reorder posts logically when a reply has nothing to do with
the post that precedes it. I think if the preceding post were in
front of one's eyes when writing, there would be a second chance to
read it, and fewer misunderstandings.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How much of the frame is rotted? Just the bottom piece or the whole
thing?