Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Over Deck

I have a nice deck that is about 20 feet by 10 feet, and it is
covered by a corrugated fiberglas roof that is brown colored. I need
to repair or replace the roof, but I can only find green corrugated
fiberglas roofing, which is incredibly ugly. The hassles finding
brown corrugated roofing materials (admittedly not great looking
either) got me thinking as to whether I really need the roof over the
deck or whether there are other roofing solutions in addition to what I
have considered. Although the deck is nice, I really don't want to
spend a ton on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.sunsetter.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a nice deck that is about 20 feet by 10 feet, and it is
covered by a corrugated fiberglas roof that is brown colored. I need
to repair or replace the roof, but I can only find green corrugated
fiberglas roofing, which is incredibly ugly. The hassles finding
brown corrugated roofing materials (admittedly not great looking
either) got me thinking as to whether I really need the roof over the
deck or whether there are other roofing solutions in addition to what I
have considered. Although the deck is nice, I really don't want to
spend a ton on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I used Suntuf polycarbonate panels over part of my deck. They look quite a
bit better than fiberglass. They come in several colors but I don't think
they have brown. I used the solar gray panels. (Semi transparent smoked
glass look). They also have a couple of other panel lines.
http://palramamericas.com/Corrugated-Products.htm
Got them at HD.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Menards or HD have different colors or can get them

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. They were very good. However, in
evaluating all of the options, I am curious as to how long a wood deck
that is unprotected will last if you stain and take care of it.

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

it all depends on the quality of the original wood. some is surface
treated, on others the preserative goes all thru the wood. preseratives
varied a lot too.

20+ years for good quality materials

The other issue is that the feds are considering declaring treated wood
as a health hazard that must be mitigated or removed. if that happens
it will be like asbestos.

your deck may have to go. at least before selling home

even rain water coming off deck is a cancer suspect polluting the dirt
under decks, which may have to be removed by a licensed contractor to a
hazardous waste landfill.

its another asbestos all over again

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Treated wood on a lake is so far so good after 30 years, and looks like
30 more, redwood here lasts 10-15.

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

My concern would not be how long the wood deck would last but rather the
comfort of sitting out there in the sun, in our part of the country anyway.
Our son used the smoke polycarbonate panels mentioned above and they did not
afford enough protection from the sun either.

may have to be removed by a licensed contractor to a
hazardous waste landfill.

You're kidding, that would be the least of my worries here.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 4 by 4 post on my front porch, its treated, 10 years old and
rotting away!

Laugh if you want about health hazards of treated wood, they USEd to
laugh about asbestos

Now it costly crews working in moon suits.....

cant get homeowners insurance for houses with bad sidewalks, failed
roofs, knob and tube wiring and soon outdoor treated wood.

Its coming slowly but surely.

if a new owner cant get homeowners insurance then no one will buy your
home

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimbo

I'm coming to this late I know but here is what I did: I have a second
floor deck that I wanted to shade from the midday sun. I added fabric
panels in such a way that the wind could blow through them and not
create a wind load problem. With the attachments I used, they can
easily be retracted for sun bathing or removed altogether for cleaning
or at the end of the season.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a nice deck that is about 20 feet by 10 feet, and it is
covered by a corrugated fiberglas roof that is brown colored. I need
to repair or replace the roof, but I can only find green corrugated
fiberglas roofing, which is incredibly ugly. The hassles finding
brown corrugated roofing materials (admittedly not great looking
either) got me thinking as to whether I really need the roof over the
deck or whether there are other roofing solutions in addition to what I
have considered. Although the deck is nice, I really don't want to
spend a ton on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

JD - No one has yet suggested a pergula. Not as much sun blocking but they
look a lot nicer in my opinion. You can even get shades that go between the
beams later on if you like. Some of your existing structure could likely be
used.
See
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmag/...pergola-lg.jpg
http://images.google.com/images?q=pe...=Search+Images
http://www.baldwinpergolas.com/
and much more

Where are you located?

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

cant get homeowners insurance for houses with bad sidewalks, failed
roofs, knob and tube wiring and soon outdoor treated wood.

Some of the perils of living in "Big City" society I guess, no worry here.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Feb 2006 14:32:35 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a nice deck that is about 20 feet by 10 feet, and it is
covered by a corrugated fiberglas roof that is brown colored. I need
to repair or replace the roof, but I can only find green corrugated
fiberglas roofing, which is incredibly ugly. The hassles finding
brown corrugated roofing materials (admittedly not great looking
either) got me thinking as to whether I really need the roof over the
deck or whether there are other roofing solutions in addition to what I
have considered. Although the deck is nice, I really don't want to
spend a ton on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

I put some of the corrigated fiberglass panels on my barn roof. It was
less than 2 years later I find them full of holes from hail. The hail
did not damage anything else on my farm. I just replaced them with
the steel that is on the rest of the roof. Those fiberglass panels
just do not hold up well. Unless you want the light, just cover it
with ribbed barn steel, available in many colors. It will last
forever too, and if you were to get some rust on it, just paint it.

If you insist on the fiberglass, you will be replacing every few
years.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 15 Feb 2006 14:32:35 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a nice deck that is about 20 feet by 10 feet, and it is
covered by a corrugated fiberglas roof that is brown colored. I need
to repair or replace the roof, but I can only find green corrugated
fiberglas roofing, which is incredibly ugly. The hassles finding
brown corrugated roofing materials (admittedly not great looking
either) got me thinking as to whether I really need the roof over the
deck or whether there are other roofing solutions in addition to what I
have considered. Although the deck is nice, I really don't want to
spend a ton on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Canvas

Check into a product called Onduline. It's used a lot in farming and should
be available thru one of the big box stores. Also, check online and \have
it shipped - 20 yr life rating, I believe.