Thermostat question.

Old February 9th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat question.

I recently bought a "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat. It seems to work OK
except that the temperature setting lever is off compared to the switch
action. Meaning that in order to get the room to 70F, as it indicates,
I need to set the lever to around 78F. I can hear the switch "kick" at
78F so I know that it's the thermostat. Since this the only problem I
hesitate to replace it. Does anyone know of a way to recalibrate it?
Old February 9th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
I recently bought a "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat. It seems to work OK
except that the temperature setting lever is off compared to the switch
action. Meaning that in order to get the room to 70F, as it indicates,
I need to set the lever to around 78F. I can hear the switch "kick" at
78F so I know that it's the thermostat. Since this the only problem I
hesitate to replace it. Does anyone know of a way to recalibrate it?

How recently did you buy it? A couple of degrees is normal, but that is out
of tolerance. Can you return it?

Old February 9th 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Thrasher wrote:
I recently bought a "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat. It seems to work OK
except that the temperature setting lever is off compared to the
switch action. Meaning that in order to get the room to 70F, as it
indicates, I need to set the lever to around 78F. I can hear the
switch "kick" at 78F so I know that it's the thermostat. Since this
the only problem I hesitate to replace it. Does anyone know of a way
to recalibrate it?

If it is the one I am thinking of, it could be just a matter if it not
being level. It must be level.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 9th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
How recently did you buy it? A couple of degrees is normal, but that is out
of tolerance. Can you return it?

About 2 weeks ago. It's not that important that it be accurate, only
that it works. I pretty much ignore the temperature readings on them,
who knows how accurate that little thermometer is anyhow, and set by
comfort level. I probably could return it...but for the effort it's
just not worth it - taking a $12.99 thermostat off the wall, driving 2
miles to the store, having a nice discussion with them, getting another,
driving 2 miles back home, and re-installing it.

I was hoping someone would have a simple way to recalibrate it, I've
looked at both the unit and installation instructions and don't see anyway.
Old February 10th 06, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
If it is the one I am thinking of, it could be just a matter if it not
being level. It must be level.

Unless there's a very local gravitational anomaly that's imperceptible
when standing next to it...it's level. :-) The install instructions
talked about that, so I used a bubble level and laid on both the top,
bottom and and then vertically along the left edge. I'll admit upon
reading you message I went back and rechecked though.
Old February 10th 06, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Thrasher wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
If it is the one I am thinking of, it could be just a matter if it not
being level. It must be level.

Unless there's a very local gravitational anomaly that's imperceptible
when standing next to it...it's level. :-) The install instructions
talked about that, so I used a bubble level and laid on both the top,
bottom and and then vertically along the left edge. I'll admit upon
reading you message I went back and rechecked though.

You've only had it 2 weeks, why would you not just take it back? Even
if they can be adjusted, which can be time consuming and tricky, I
wouldn't waste time and possibly break it. If it was off even a couple
degrees and it's brand new, I'd take it back.

Old February 10th 06, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I think I see the problem......"$12.99"
Damn!
Just can't get a decent product at a decent price, can we?

Old February 13th 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

hope this helps:
couldn't find Ace persay online, I am sure on your package or thermo,
they have a contact or troubleshooting email or phone.

This site generally might help you:
http://www.thermostatusa.com/Tech.asp

Old February 13th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently bought a "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat. It seems to work OK
except that the temperature setting lever is off compared to the switch
action. Meaning that in order to get the room to 70F, as it indicates,
I need to set the lever to around 78F. I can hear the switch "kick" at
78F so I know that it's the thermostat. Since this the only problem I
hesitate to replace it. Does anyone know of a way to recalibrate it?

That is a really cheap thermostat. Probably POS. Good mercury
thermostats are hard to find, even the ones that wholesale at $80.00 or
more. I have stopped using them as most can't be recalibrated any
more. It used to be that they could be recalibrated. The digital ones
are better if you get a good one. If you pay less than $50.00
wholesale, it is most likely junk. Cheap thermostats always bite me in
the butt, not a good way to save money.

Stretch