Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Towel Rods Fixed!

Hi,

Well here it is January and I posted about this problem back in July so
I guess I procrastinated a little bit! But I actually fixed our towel
rods and I am pretty happy with myself for being able to do this
project.

So in case anyone else is in the same predicament, here is what I did
to fix the problem.

Problem : Towel rods kept getting pulled out of wall due to people
leaning on the rod and the plastic anchors were not sufficient to keep
them in place. Relocating was not an option because of recent wall
paper job.

Solution : Toggle Bolts! I had enough sheet rock left to work with
that I was able to slip 1/8 by 2 inch toggle bolts into the existing
holes and then I was able to fasten the clip securely to the wall and
get a much more secure connection.

I'm sure if someone puts full weight on it it will come out again but
hopefully they will stay put for a while.

I am not exactly Mr. fixit so any time I am able to do one of these
little projects I am pretty happy about it.

Thanks for the tips back in July!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst

If you've got people leaning hard enough on your towel racks that
they'd pull togle bolts out of the wall, you might as well just screw a
1/2" piece of plywood to the studs, prime and paper that, and mount the
towel rack on that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. Mounting anything to drywall, espically in a bathroom, is
questionable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 31 Jan 2006 10:41:09 -0800, "
wrote:

Congratulations.

I'm sure if someone puts full weight on it it will come out again but
hopefully they will stay put for a while.

I just wanted you to know that I plan to film the next version of
"MIssion Impossible" in your house. And we'll be using the towel rod
as a means of escaping to the attic, during one of the action scenes.

This will work perfectly because we plan to have the star push the
female co-star into the attic, and then for him to step on the towel
rod, which will collapse just as he is leaping up to join her in the
attic.

Rest assured that you will be adequately reimbursed for any damage
caused, in addition to the large fee we have negotiated with your wife
for use of the house.

Sincrerely,

Big-shot producer
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gerry Gardiner

[...]

Perhaps you should relocate the towel rack to an area where people
aren't likely to lean on it in the first place. Perhaps a rack or two on the
back of the door? If people are drying off and need to lean on something,
perhaps locate a hamper there. Also we store our fresh towels on a shelf
over the toilet. Just some thoughts....
Gerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gerry Gardiner" in
:

Perhaps you should relocate the towel rack to an area where
people
aren't likely to lean on it in the first place. Perhaps a rack or two
on the back of the door? If people are drying off and need to lean on
something, perhaps locate a hamper there. Also we store our fresh
towels on a shelf over the toilet. Just some thoug

yeah, covering the rod in barbed wire or glass shards would dissuade leaning, but might
damage the towels. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Congratulations.

I'm sure if someone puts full weight on it it will come out again but
hopefully they will stay put for a while.

I just wanted you to know that I plan to film the next version of
"MIssion Impossible" in your house. And we'll be using the towel rod
as a means of escaping to the attic, during one of the action scenes.

ROFL!

You would think I was doing a mission impossible the way I waited 6
months to do this little project and all the research I did on it
before I finally just went in and tried something.

Here is an update to the towel rod project which is kind of heart
warming.

I get home from work the night I fixed the towel rods and our 4 year
old daughter comes running out of her bedroom and says "Thanks for
fixing the towel rods daddy!". My wife said that earlier that evening
she was looking at them asking who had fixed them and was kind of
astonished that it was me and kept asking how I did it!!! She even
gave my wife a thumbs up sign indicating her approval of the repair.

So somebody is impressed with my home improvement skills!

Steve

towel radiator + timer/thermostat + heating element = right/wrong? Seri UK diy 5 January 13th 06 11:58 PM
Brass Rods & Fittings. Wayne G. Dengel Metalworking 20 September 22nd 05 07:19 AM
Runners and stair rods ... Martin Pentreath UK diy 3 November 23rd 04 08:36 PM
Broken towel rack Jen Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 03:08 PM
FS: Welding Rods - premium assortment [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 29th 03 03:00 PM