Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Satellite dish - silicone?

I was out 3 times tonight to clear my dish (direct TV) of snow. An
acquaintance some time back suggested spraying it with silicone so the
snow would slide off. I am debating it but would that degrade the
signal?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

No just spray the PAN part! Snow will slide off but may get stricky
later and require scrubbing.

heavy wet snow tends to do this one a year at most here.

you can add some heat tape, to keep it clean at bad weather times. tape
gets stuck to back of pan, and they have grids that are designed
specially for this.

dont bother with the dish covers, they are a big waste of money and a
garbage bag is as useful, and costs little.which doesnt do much...

i used to be a dish dealer installer

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was out 3 times tonight to clear my dish (direct TV) of snow. An
acquaintance some time back suggested spraying it with silicone so the
snow would slide off. I am debating it but would that degrade the
signal?

Harry K

Silicone may work fine but WD-40 would work better. WD was designed for use
with electronic components. As long as the material you use does not contain
metallic components it shouldn't affect the signal. You should clean the
dish in the spring anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Harry K wrote:
I was out 3 times tonight to clear my dish (direct TV) of snow. An
acquaintance some time back suggested spraying it with silicone so the
snow would slide off. I am debating it but would that degrade the
signal?

Harry K

Are you serious?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"BP" wrote in message
et...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was out 3 times tonight to clear my dish (direct TV) of snow. An
acquaintance some time back suggested spraying it with silicone so the
snow would slide off. I am debating it but would that degrade the
signal?

Harry K

Silicone may work fine but WD-40 would work better. WD was designed for
use with electronic components. As long as the material you use does not
contain metallic components it shouldn't affect the signal. You should
clean the dish in the spring anyway.

wd-40 was designed as a water displacement spray (the w-d part). once the
volatiles evaporate there's nothing left but a little lubricant, which goes
away pretty quickly too, leaving a gummy residue that attracts dirt to stick
to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

silicone spray has no effect on signal strength at all

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob

Being pedantic sorry.. A better word to use is negligible.

I work on microwave transmitters and even solder flux can have an effect
on the output power. Small but measurable.

I suspect that if you really caked it on silicone spray might be RF
absorbtive. I'll admit that I havent checked though!

You can also heat the dish periodically. The issue I guess is how much
it affects the received signal and whether one has enough S/N margin to
just ignore it.

Cheers Bob

silicone spray has no effect on signal strength at all

Posted to alt.home.repair

PAM kitchen spray, silicone, even car wax helps make the dish smooth
and slippery, so snow doesnt stick.

none of these effect signal strength

heres a site for more info

http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

wrote:
PAM kitchen spray, silicone, even car wax helps make the dish smooth
and slippery, so snow doesnt stick.

none of these effect signal strength

heres a site for more info

http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php

Well wax I can believe since I wax my skis. But I would expect any
significant snowfall to get on it anyway . Its worth a shot I suppose.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On 1 Feb 2006 00:07:22 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

I was out 3 times tonight to clear my dish (direct TV) of snow. An
acquaintance some time back suggested spraying it with silicone so the
snow would slide off. I am debating it but would that degrade the
signal?

Harry K

Harry try teflon spray. Try to keep it off the LNB
That should do the trick

Regards Anthony

at http://www.TitanNews.com