Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Removing Caulking from bathtub

I removed a set of glass sliding doors from the top of our bathtub. I
replaced them with a shower curtain rod and plastic curtains.

Some sort of caulking material was used to adhere the base of the doors to
the tub. Some of this caulking (?) was left behind after removing the base.
I have not tried to remove it, but it's hard and seems like it will be very
difficult to take off. Was wondering is there some way of softening this
stuff up? Or, a way to remove it without scrapping the tub.

For what it's worth, I installed the curved (crescent) shaped shower curtain
rod instead of the standard straight one. Thought it would be helpful for
my handicapped father. Turns out I like it too. Gives you more room to
shower. The only drawback is hanging towels on it is not as easy as a
straight shower curtain rod. I highly recommend them if anyone is looking
to put in new curtains.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

I removed a set of glass sliding doors from the top of our bathtub. I
replaced them with a shower curtain rod and plastic curtains.
Some sort of caulking material was used to adhere the base of the doors to
the tub. Some of this caulking (?) was left behind after removing the base.
I have not tried to remove it, but it's hard and seems like it will be very
difficult to take off. Was wondering is there some way of softening this
stuff up? Or, a way to remove it without scrapping the tub.

A sharp razor blade and a careful hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Abe" wrote in message
I removed a set of glass sliding doors from the top of our bathtub. I
replaced them with a shower curtain rod and plastic curtains.
Some sort of caulking material was used to adhere the base of the doors to
the tub. Some of this caulking (?) was left behind after removing the
base.
I have not tried to remove it, but it's hard and seems like it will be
very
difficult to take off. Was wondering is there some way of softening this
stuff up? Or, a way to remove it without scrapping the tub.

A sharp razor blade and a careful hand.

a hair dryer may soften it

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

First try to get it all up in one chunk with a putty knife, then scrape what
you can with a razor. Its actually easier to remove if it is not too soft.
What is left you might be able to scrub off but if it comes to it, try
liquid nails remover (a gel like paste that softens lots of stuff, look in
the same isle as the caulk and other adhesives)