Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Little black rocks coming up into toilet.

I've replaced the fill valve twice {Fluidmaster 400} because the toilet
won't shut off. I've found out why. I'm seeing small black
rocks{charcoal,rust?} floating around in the toilet. They get under the
rubber seal in the fill valve preventing it from shutting off. It
flushes fine a couple of times and then keeps running. Now my wife did
open up the safety valve on the water heater, which she shouldn't have.
Someone told her it would be a good idea to release pressure once in a
while. Is it possible there are rocks in the heater that are going
through the pipes to the toilet?Seems like this problem started after
she messed with the water heater.If not, what could these rocks be? I'm
at a loss to know where thay are coming from. Frustrated. Thanks for
any responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

she messed with the water heater.If not, what could these rocks be? I'm
at a loss to know where thay are coming from. Frustrated. Thanks for
any responses.

Municipal water or a well? Even with a filter I get grit from my well.
Check your faucet aerators. If there is no grit in there, then I don't
know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
. I'm seeing small black
rocks{charcoal,rust?} floating around in the toilet. They get under the
rubber seal in the fill valve preventing it from shutting off. It
flushes fine a couple of times and then keeps running. Now my wife did
open up the safety valve on the water heater, which she shouldn't have.

There are a couple of possibilities. Do you have a well? It could be bits
of sand picked up by the pump. If so, they will probably show up in the
other faucet aerators. Check them to be sure. Even with city water you can
get some grit. The cure is a filter for particulates.

The hot water flush should not affect the toilet at all, but strange things
do happen. The sudden release from the valve may have caused a little water
hammer and released the particles that have been clinging in the pipes for
years.

With city water, the water dept. often do a hydrant flush once or twice a
year. When they do that in my neighborhood, I have to change the filter the
next day. Could it be that your wife was that being done and inspired her
to do the water heater? That would explain a lot.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

wrote:

No, it doesn't have a sulfur smell. What would cause iron sulfide to be
there? Is it in the water source?

It would result from both iron and sulfur being available in
some form capable of reaction. Often the sulfur would come
from hydrogen sulfide, which suggests the egg question.

CJT wrote:

wrote:

I've replaced the fill valve twice {Fluidmaster 400} because the toilet
won't shut off. I've found out why. I'm seeing small black
rocks{charcoal,rust?} floating around in the toilet. They get under the
rubber seal in the fill valve preventing it from shutting off. It
flushes fine a couple of times and then keeps running. Now my wife did
open up the safety valve on the water heater, which she shouldn't have.
Someone told her it would be a good idea to release pressure once in a
while. Is it possible there are rocks in the heater that are going
through the pipes to the toilet?Seems like this problem started after
she messed with the water heater.If not, what could these rocks be? I'm
at a loss to know where thay are coming from. Frustrated. Thanks for
any responses.

From the description, it sounds like iron sulfide. Does your water ever
have a rotten-egg smell (indicating the presence of sulfur)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can i add someting inside the tank to dissolve the rocks? Bleach maybe?
Would the bleach harm the flapper or rubber seal in the valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

the problem may have started when the inexpensive rubber washer broke
on the water shutoff by the toilet or elsewhere upstream. maybe that
needs to get flushed out and replaced.
i think the disconnecting the toilet and flushing out its connecting
water line again may be needed.
run the water until clear.
installation instructions and online help for your product we use on
twenty toilets is at:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html
if you drain the hot water tank of debris you will also know what may
be coming thru your pipes.
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

wrote:
I've replaced the fill valve twice {Fluidmaster 400} because the toilet
won't shut off. I've found out why. I'm seeing small black
rocks{charcoal,rust?} floating around in the toilet. They get under the
rubber seal in the fill valve preventing it from shutting off. It
flushes fine a couple of times and then keeps running. Now my wife did
open up the safety valve on the water heater, which she shouldn't have.
Someone told her it would be a good idea to release pressure once in a
while. Is it possible there are rocks in the heater that are going
through the pipes to the toilet?Seems like this problem started after
she messed with the water heater.If not, what could these rocks be? I'm
at a loss to know where thay are coming from. Frustrated. Thanks for
any responses.

Don't blame your wife, although to be blunt, she
is incredibly ignorant about water pressure. The
pressure will almost immediately stabilize at the
original pressure when she closes the pressure
release valve. The problem is that the valves
don't like to seal after being opened, especially
if they are closed under pressure. In other
words, if you test the pressure valve, which you
shouldn't, you need to close the cold water inlet
valve when you release the pressure valve to close.

But, the hot water system has nothing to do with
the commode. You may have stuff in the cold water
line and it may have been there for a long time.
You need to flush the line. To do that turn off
the inlet valve and unscrew the fill line (if you
have a flexible metal clad pipe) at the bottom of
the tank and put it in a bucket and turn on the
valve. If you don't have a flexible line, then
buy an 18" one that will fit the inlet valve,
remove the line from the valve to the tank, and
attach the flexible line. If you don't get any
little black particles, you know that stuff in the
line is not a problem.

BTW, do you or your wife put crap in the tank to
clean or sanitize the bowl when you flush? If you
do, welcome to wonderful world of the scammed
consumer. NEVER put any chemicals in the tank! Or
you many end up with your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for your suggestions and theories about the problem with
my toilet. Turns out the black rocks came from the water softener. Even
though we haven't used it for many years, impuities can still come from
the softener and clog up the lines.