Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Default Any Asbestos Hazards in Ceramic Baseboard Adhesive?

I am getting ready to paint a bathroom in a 1960's house. Prior to
doing so I want to replace the old ceramic baseboards with oak. Should
I gingerly pop one off and have the adhesive tested for asbestos prior
to pulling them all off? I had a look at one a few years ago, and it
was a light brown colored adhesive.

Here is a photo of the tiles I am talking about, to give you an idea.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/tiles.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Buck. If by chance the adhesive contains asbestos, just be careful
not to get the dust airborn. If it makes sense, just lightly spray the
adhesive backing with water to keep dust down and put into plastic bag
and remove. To go through the prosses to remove via an abatement
company, it will cost a fortune. And of coarse wear a dust mask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No asbestos in ceramic adhesive. Take them off if you wish, and
scrape the adhesive with a putty knife. A heat gun often helps with
the adhesive removal. However, I wonder what you are going to do
around that shower. You cant just remove the base and leave the upper
tile, and oak that gets wet turns black. Another thing. I assume you
are leaving the ceramic floor, will the oak fill in the gap around the
edge? Also consider that this ceramic is forming a bowl of sorts, to
keep water from dripping down into the floor if there is a small spill
from the shower or toilet overflow.

Are you sure you want to do this?

One other option you have would be to paint the tile using epoxy
paint. Personally I think painted ceramic is ugly but I have seen it
done.

If I were you, I'd paint the walls and fancy up the door trim and
whatever else. Then clean all the ceramic and you may find it looks
great...

PS. Next time you take a picture like that, have a young sexy woman
sitting on the toilet. Naked of course !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:26:36 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I am getting ready to paint a bathroom in a 1960's house. Prior to
doing so I want to replace the old ceramic baseboards with oak. Should
I gingerly pop one off and have the adhesive tested for asbestos prior
to pulling them all off? I had a look at one a few years ago, and it
was a light brown colored adhesive.

Here is a photo of the tiles I am talking about, to give you an idea.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/tiles.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am getting ready to paint a bathroom in a 1960's house. Prior to
doing so I want to replace the old ceramic baseboards with oak. Should
I gingerly pop one off and have the adhesive tested for asbestos prior
to pulling them all off? I had a look at one a few years ago, and it
was a light brown colored adhesive.

Here is a photo of the tiles I am talking about, to give you an idea.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/tiles.jpg

It won't have asbestos. Different products were used compared to the old
floor tiles. The tile does have a big advantage over wood when it comes to
mopping the floor. The floor tile sort of shouts "1960" though.