Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Americast(R) bathtubs

Anybody have an Americast bathtub? How does it compare to cast iron?
Would you buy another one or would you pay a little extra and have a
plumber install a cast iron tub?

I want a cast iron tub, but they are too heavy for me to install by
myself, and I think I can handle an Americast tub. There's not much
difference in the actual cost of the bathtub. Steel tubs are too loud
and too cold, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long before someone
in my family drops something in a steel tub and chips the enamel.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Anybody have an Americast bathtub? How does it compare to cast iron?
Would you buy another one or would you pay a little extra and have a
plumber install a cast iron tub?

I want a cast iron tub, but they are too heavy for me to install by
myself, and I think I can handle an Americast tub. There's not much
difference in the actual cost of the bathtub. Steel tubs are too loud and
too cold, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long before someone in my
family drops something in a steel tub and chips the enamel.

Bob

Americast tubs are a nice substitute for cast iron, but if you're looking
for the beefy, solid feel of cast, the Americast won't get you that.
However, it ain't a bad substitute.

I'm in the same situation as you (can't manhandle a cast tub, so I installed
Americast). No complaints.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair
NickySantoro

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:07:25 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Anybody have an Americast bathtub? How does it compare to cast iron?
Would you buy another one or would you pay a little extra and have a
plumber install a cast iron tub?

I want a cast iron tub, but they are too heavy for me to install by
myself, and I think I can handle an Americast tub. There's not much
difference in the actual cost of the bathtub. Steel tubs are too loud
and too cold, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long before someone
in my family drops something in a steel tub and chips the enamel.

Bob

BTDT, for the same reasons. Installed Americast about 15 years ago and
it still looks great. Only downside is they take a bit more time to
clean as you can't use abrasive cleaners.
Is cast iron better? Yes, but not for a DIYer working alone.
FWIW
YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

IMO, Americast is the spam of metals. I was looking for a new kitchen
sink last year and spent some time investigating the alternatives. In
all my searching, I never could find exactly what Americast is made of.

Clearly, the advantages are weight and cost (at least in the case of my
sink, Americast would be significantly cheaper). But, do this test.
Go to one of the big stores and take a good look at Americast vs a
Kohler cast iron product next to each other. The sinks are probably
the easiest to see side by side. IMO, there is no comparison. The
Kohler cast iron has a rich, luxurious appearance. Slightly rippled
from the texture of the underlying casting. The Americast looks good
for what it is and costs, but be sure you understand the difference
before you buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has anyone had their tub professionally reglazed? Does it look like a new
tub? How does it wear?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:33:00 -0500, "mmmmmm"
wrote:

Has anyone had their tub professionally reglazed? Does it look like a new
tub? How does it wear?

Hey, stop messing with my name.