Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Door Opener chain/cable tension?

I noticed last night that the chain portion of the chain/cable loop on
one of our 15 year old Craftsman garage door openers rattled against the
rail when the door was moving and when the door hit the down limit and
stoppedthe chain was drooping a little bit over the edge of the rail.

I'm assuming this is due to chain wear and/or cable stretch over the years.

There's a threaded tension adjustment where the cable joins the
carriage, but I'm not sure if there's a "right way" to determine how
much to tighten it.

Do I just tweak it tighter until the chain stands proud of the rail at
all times?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 18-Jan-2006, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Do I just tweak it tighter until the chain stands proud of the rail at
all times?

That's what I did - including not hitting when the chain is moving. I wiggled
the chain back and forth (when fully extended) so that it doesn't hit the rail.
No problems since. I lubed it at the same time, including the truck that
runs on the rail and it runs a tad quieter now too.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

With the opener stop at the half way position & the door disengaged
from the opener (no load on the carriage) the chain should sag approx
1/2" from the top rail.

If you make it to tight the rail may start to bow and it will cause
excessive wear on the drive sprocket shaft bearing.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:35:10 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I noticed last night that the chain portion of the chain/cable loop on
one of our 15 year old Craftsman garage door openers rattled against the
rail when the door was moving and when the door hit the down limit and
stoppedthe chain was drooping a little bit over the edge of the rail.

I'm assuming this is due to chain wear and/or cable stretch over the years.

There's a threaded tension adjustment where the cable joins the
carriage, but I'm not sure if there's a "right way" to determine how
much to tighten it.

Do I just tweak it tighter until the chain stands proud of the rail at
all times?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Jeff make sure your down limit is not tletting the door go down too
far. You can tell if the rail bows upward in the down postion. If it
does not, then go ahead and try to tighten the chain with the dorr
part way up so there is just a little slack but not to tight.
Best Regards
Anthony

at
http://www.TitanNews.com