Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Choosing correct boiler size

I am in the process of buying a new boiler (I posted a few days back).
I had 3 different contractors come up with the same sized boiler in
their bids. I have done a couple of heat loss calculations and came
up with a figure of 60,000 BTU heat loss. Program used sq feet of each
room plus exterior wall area, window and door area, with general
categories of insulation and window. I'm not sure if this is correct.
All contractors chose a boiler with a range of about 60-110BTU (IBR net
rating), which is the second smallest available. I also explained that
I wanted to eventually refinish my basement (which is currently
unheated. I don't think any of the contractors did a heat loss calc,
although the one I am going with offerred to.

Does this sound like the correct size boiler? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I will be using an indirect hot water tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

With an indirect water heater, you can go with the smallest boiler possible
to heat your home, but I'd strongly advise against installing a three
section cast iron boiler (of any brand) because the rear fire wall is too
close to the burner nozzle and end cone, causing all kinds of problems.
I don't really understand your original post. First you say, "I had 3
different contractors come up with the same sized boiler in their bids."
Then you say, "All contractors chose a boiler with a range of about
60-110BTU". There's a big difference between 60MBH and 110MBH.
Finishing your basement adds very little heat loss to your home unless the
basement is above ground and has standard windows and doors.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I will be using an indirect hot water tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Does this sound like the correct size boiler? Thanks.

None of us have a clue what size house and what type of construction or if
you live in North Dakota or South Carolina so no one can say it is right or
wrong. What size do you have now? You probably want to be close to that,
assuming it is heating properly. Finishing the basement with insulation
will have a small affect on what the total needs are. Keep in mind,
smaller is not cheaper to operate.

Gas boiler hot water outlet size. cjevans4u UK diy 4 November 22nd 05 01:43 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 06:37 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 03:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 01:44 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 09:29 PM