Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave N

Default Beautifying concrete steps and porch

We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front entryway,
with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on our "curb
appeal", and I'm looking for some ideas about how to make this nicer,
hopefully without having to remove and rebuild the steps and porch. I'd
like to reface or cover the concrete somehow, but I'm not sure what the
options are. Can we add wood decking, brick, or slate on top of the
concrete? Any other ideas/solutions/products/links? Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

cracked concrete sidewalks and porches and steps are a property
violation in buffalo ny. like peeling paint and missing attic stairway
handrails, it may hold up a mortgage approval with some lenders. new
concrete is quite versatile in its finishes and patterns. you will be
amazed how fast the big guys with sledgehammers can remove your old
concrete onto a dump truck. your ideas make it hard to shovel snow or
even sweep with a broom. see if your property will pass an inspection
checklist for a local certificate of occupancy. with the "CO" required
by some lenders it may speed things up when you sell.

see also our friend who sells houses at:
www.alryer.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Boulter

Dave N wrote on 16 Jan 2006:

Can we add wood decking, brick, or slate on top of the
concrete?

Maybe.

It depends on the condition of the steps and walk. If there are
cracks (other than hairline cracks), then you're better off
removing the old steps, rebuilding them, and then putting on the
brick/tile/slate, etc. Same is true if they're pulling away from
the house or sinking.

OTOH, I had brick laid over my concrete steps 20 years ago and have
had zero problems, except where, in later years, a hole was drilled
for a railing and the corner of the step crumbled away.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q

In article ,
Dave N wrote:

- We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front entryway,
- with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on our "curb
- appeal", and I'm looking for some ideas about how to make this nicer,
- hopefully without having to remove and rebuild the steps and porch. I'd
- like to reface or cover the concrete somehow, but I'm not sure what the
- options are. Can we add wood decking, brick, or slate on top of the
- concrete? Any other ideas/solutions/products/links? Thanks!

Paint? You can paint a faux stone or faux brick pattern quite easily.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:04:05 -0600, Dave N
wrote:

We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front entryway,
with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on our "curb

If the concrete isn't cracked or spalling, just bleach it white,
and leave it alone. If the railing is solid, clean up the rust
and paint it. If it's falling down, fix it.

Clean and in good repair is what you should be after.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Decorative overlay may be something to consider. There are many
contractors who do this work. Here is some information and
pictures to see what I'm talking about:
http://thestampstore.com/examples.htm
make sure you look at "overlay stamp mats". They are not
clickable on my computer in Mozilla, but work fine in IE.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dave N" wrote in message
.142...
We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front
entryway,
with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on our
"curb
appeal", and I'm looking for some ideas about how to make this
nicer,
hopefully without having to remove and rebuild the steps and
porch. I'd
like to reface or cover the concrete somehow, but I'm not sure
what the
options are. Can we add wood decking, brick, or slate on top of
the
concrete? Any other ideas/solutions/products/links? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Dave,

We have an ugly old concrete path, steps, and porch in our front
entryway, with an ugly old iron railing. We're generally working on
our "curb appeal", and I'm looking for some ideas about how to make
this nicer, hopefully without having to remove and rebuild the steps
and porch. I'd like to reface or cover the concrete somehow, but I'm
not sure what the options are. Can we add wood decking, brick, or
slate on top of the concrete?

Assuming the concrete is in good shape, you could install tile on top of
the concrete, using whatever tile or stone you find attractive. You might
want to check out these books:

"Masonry & Concrete"
by Better Homes and Gardens
ISBN 0-696-20666-8

"Ceramic Tile"
by Creative Homeowner
ISBN 1-58011-047-9

Both show examples of tiling over concrete slabs.

If the concrete is cracked and you have room beneath the door, you could
build a wood deck over the top of the concrete. You could use pressure
treated "sleepers" (2x4's laid flat on the slab and shimmed where needed),
then attach your decking. Most any book on deck building will show examples
of how to to this. One advantage to building a deck, is you can make it
larger than the original porch if you wish.

Good luck!

Anthony