Posted to alt.home.repair
Soquel Dude

Default Problem Replacing Range

Hi!

We are considering purchasing a slide-in Kenmore Elite range to replace our
old drop-in range. We liked the Kenmore over all the other brands. There's
just one problem...the depth for the rough opening is about 1" smaller than
the current rough opening in the countertop. Outside of replacing the
countertop (which we plan to do once we win the lottery), what's the best
way to fill up the extra space around the range?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Soquel Dude" wrote in message
news
Hi!

We are considering purchasing a slide-in Kenmore Elite range to replace
our old drop-in range. We liked the Kenmore over all the other brands.
There's just one problem...the depth for the rough opening is about 1"
smaller than the current rough opening in the countertop. Outside of
replacing the countertop (which we plan to do once we win the lottery),
what's the best way to fill up the extra space around the range?

Thanks!

I'm guessing that you are saying that the required rough opening for the new
unit is
1" samaller than the existing one. If I'm envisioning this correctly you
currently have
a drop in cook top but you are adding a slide-in range with oven below. You
will
need to add a 1" spacer at the rear of the opening and then check at a Big
Box store
for available trim pieces and see what you can put together. You could also
go to a
kitchen remodeling shop and explain the situation and ask them what they
have that
would cover the spacer attractively. You'll probably pay more for the piece
but you
will be getting advice from an expert.