Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR

Default Mantel designs

I wish to build a wood mantel for a 32" electric fireplace insert. I have
some pictures and brief dimensions which I can easily use but I would like
to see some alternative designs.

Anybody know where I can see or obtain plans for wood mantels?

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

PVR wrote:
I wish to build a wood mantel for a 32" electric fireplace insert. I have
some pictures and brief dimensions which I can easily use but I would like
to see some alternative designs.

Anybody know where I can see or obtain plans for wood mantels?

Mantels are about as straightforward as it comes in woodworking, there
are very few critical dimensions, and they're usually just flights of
fancy unless you're going for a mantel from a specific period. Google
will turn up hundreds of examples under images, and you'll find lots of
plans for sale. But plans aren't really not needed. You're looking
for inspiration - keep browsing and you'll find something that will
grab you. Spell it both ways in your searching - mantle and mantel -
and search for mantlepiece as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"PVR" wrote in message
I wish to build a wood mantel for a 32" electric fireplace insert. I have
some pictures and brief dimensions which I can easily use but I would like
to see some alternative designs.

Anybody know where I can see or obtain plans for wood mantels?

Peter.

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/mantle/

Check out the stairs he builds also.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scra...ook1&UID=10002

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"PVR" wrote in message

I wish to build a wood mantel for a 32" electric fireplace insert. I have
some pictures and brief dimensions which I can easily use but I would like
to see some alternative designs.

Anybody know where I can see or obtain plans for wood mantels?

Peter.

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/mantle/

Check out the stairs he builds also.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scra...ook1&UID=10002

A shop to drool over and the guy does some really nice work. The
mantle he made is kind of kludgy though. It looks pasted on to the
brick work and it's much nicer than the brickwork. It would have
looked a lot better if he had wrapped the woodwork around the sides of
the brickwork and had the corbels sitting on top of that. The ledges
on the tops of the corbels are odd - why would they stick out so much?
It almost looks like he made the corbels the same depth as the mantle
and then realized after the fact that he had neglected the thickness of
the brick. I'm sure that wasn't the case, but it looks like it.

Still drooling over that shop...