Replacing GFI Breaker

Old January 14th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing GFI Breaker

I am replacing a GFI breaker. The old breaker has 2 white wires (one
striped). The new breaker has only one white wire.

Is the new breaker compatible?

Old January 14th 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Should be, I'd read the instructions. The white wire of the new one goes to
the neutral bar in your panel and the white wire of your circuit goes to the
neutral connector on the breaker. The black or colored wire of your circuit
goes to the hot terminal on the breaker

oups.com...

Old January 14th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing a GFI breaker. The old breaker has 2 white wires (one
striped). The new breaker has only one white wire.

Is the new breaker compatible?

If you at the electrical service then the two wires end up on the same bus
the neutral/ground bus.
If you are in a sub panel then the two wires would go to different buses.

If your breaker is made by the same company that the panel is made by your
fine. I am not a fan of mixing manufactures.

Old January 15th 06, 06:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't a GFI breaker need to sense the neutral current which it compares to
the hot current, if different then trip. So it would need to have a neutral
to the loads as well as a neutral to the ground bus.

oups.com...

Old January 15th 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You're correct, He's replacing an old GFCI with a new one. Old model GFCI's
like "Murray" had two white wires on them. One to connect to the neutral
buss in the panel and one to connect to the load neutral of the circuit. The
new "Murray" type GFCI's have replaced the load neutral "wire" with a
terminal on the breaker

"Jeff" wrote in message
Doesn't a GFI breaker need to sense the neutral current which it compares
to the hot current, if different then trip. So it would need to have a
neutral to the loads as well as a neutral to the ground bus.

oups.com...

Old January 15th 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies! I wanted to wait to open the breaker packaging
until I was somewhat sure it was compatible. I opened it and it all
made sense when I looked over the instructions. There was a load
neutral wire on the old breaker that was connected with a cap to the
load neutral from the panel. The new breaker is simpler because you
just insert the panel's wire into the breaker. (excuse me if any
terminology is wrong - novice here)

Anyway, I got it all installed and it works fine - so thanks for the
help!