DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing GFI Breaker (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/140233-replacing-gfi-breaker.html)

[email protected] January 14th 06 11:14 PM

Replacing GFI Breaker

I am replacing a GFI breaker. The old breaker has 2 white wires (one
striped). The new breaker has only one white wire.

Is the new breaker compatible?

RBM January 14th 06 11:18 PM

Replacing GFI Breaker

Should be, I'd read the instructions. The white wire of the new one goes to
the neutral bar in your panel and the white wire of your circuit goes to the
neutral connector on the breaker. The black or colored wire of your circuit
goes to the hot terminal on the breaker

oups.com...

RBM January 14th 06 11:19 PM

Replacing GFI Breaker

On your old breaker the white with stripe was probably indicating that it
was the "load" neutral

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Should be, I'd read the instructions. The white wire of the new one goes
the neutral bar in your panel and the white wire of your circuit goes to
the
neutral connector on the breaker. The black or colored wire of your
circuit
goes to the hot terminal on the breaker

oups.com...

SQLit January 15th 06 12:42 AM

Replacing GFI Breaker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing a GFI breaker. The old breaker has 2 white wires (one
striped). The new breaker has only one white wire.

Is the new breaker compatible?

If you at the electrical service then the two wires end up on the same bus
the neutral/ground bus.
If you are in a sub panel then the two wires would go to different buses.

If your breaker is made by the same company that the panel is made by your
fine. I am not a fan of mixing manufactures.

Jeff January 15th 06 07:57 AM

Replacing GFI Breaker

Doesn't a GFI breaker need to sense the neutral current which it compares to
the hot current, if different then trip. So it would need to have a neutral
to the loads as well as a neutral to the ground bus.

oups.com...

RBM January 15th 06 01:58 PM

Replacing GFI Breaker

You're correct, He's replacing an old GFCI with a new one. Old model GFCI's
like "Murray" had two white wires on them. One to connect to the neutral
buss in the panel and one to connect to the load neutral of the circuit. The
new "Murray" type GFCI's have replaced the load neutral "wire" with a
terminal on the breaker

"Jeff" wrote in message
Doesn't a GFI breaker need to sense the neutral current which it compares
to the hot current, if different then trip. So it would need to have a
neutral to the loads as well as a neutral to the ground bus.

oups.com...

[email protected] January 15th 06 03:01 PM

Replacing GFI Breaker

Thanks for the replies! I wanted to wait to open the breaker packaging
until I was somewhat sure it was compatible. I opened it and it all
made sense when I looked over the instructions. There was a load
neutral wire on the old breaker that was connected with a cap to the
load neutral from the panel. The new breaker is simpler because you
just insert the panel's wire into the breaker. (excuse me if any
terminology is wrong - novice here)

Anyway, I got it all installed and it works fine - so thanks for the
help!