Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

Default Range hood, fan size..

Going to have to install range hood with outside exhaust (through the
roof) this weekend...
I'm having new roof installed and want this in prior to new roof so
I'm pushed for time.. My current hood is just a "blow steam and grease
in the top of your head while cooking type...

My length of ducting is well below the max for either.. 7ft of 7"
round duct with no turns. Possibly needing a rectangular to round
adapter depending on model of hood
It's a 30" hood.. I see some with 220 cfm and 390 cfm for twice the
money.. Is the 390 cfm needed?
$380. for the 390 cfm
$130 for the 220 cfm
I wouldn't mind the 390 cfm as much if it's strong enough to pull in
fresh air if something get's "funky" smelling.. and I open a couple
windows.. though I know it's not a whole house fan...
Thanks..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Chuck wrote:
[...]

I did not see anything in there about noise. A fan that makes too much
noise is not going to be used. I suggest you consider that in your choice.
As for a hood fan clearing out a smoky room, I think you are expecting too
much. Any good hood fan will keep the room from getting bad, but only if
you are using it. The trick is to turn it on EVERY time you are using the
range. I believe you would be better served by the lower cfm and using it
every time than the larger one. Of course if you use the larger one all the
time that would likely do even better.

Note not all hood are equally effective even if they have the same cfm.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:09:49 GMT, Chuck wrote:

[...]

If you have a homecenter close by you can go and operate each of them
and make a better decision. I recently installed a Broan quiet hood
20000 series which is just 200 cfm and find it to be plenty to keep
odors and steam removed from the area. It is infinitely adjustable
and I usually don't put it on the highest setting

The 7" round adapter comes with it. also the rectangular.

I never deep fry inside, so don't know about that. Do that on the
patio.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr_bill

assuming that your exhaust ducting goes through
the roof you want to replace, I would start *there* by
putting an 8" dia roof jack in. This will allow you
to install a range hood with up to 600 cfm, now or
in the future.

You didn't mention whether your cooktop is gas or
electric. For electric, your local building codes might
allow as little as 200cfm, but I would go 300 cfm minimum.

If you have gas, or are contemplating gas in the near future,
I would recommend (and some codes require) 600 cfm minimum.

Bill