Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Smoke smell upstairs

Evening folks,

I'm having an issue with a smokey smell upstairs when I have a fire
in my fireplace. The top of the chimney is adjacent to a gable vent on
the end of my house. I have noticed that you don't smell it until the
upstairs heat comes on. The upstairs unit is in the attic. The return
for the upstairs A/C is right next to the disapearring staircase. I've
noticed that there seems to be a warm spot there during the summer, so
it could be that the return is drawing attic air from the staircase.
I'm thinking about putting some weatherstripping between the attic
door, and the frame to seal off any air leak. If that doesn't work, I'm
thinking about covering the gable vent with a piece of heavy plastic,
and then taking it off in the summer. What do you guys think, and how
do you think I should correct it? Putting in a gas fireplace is not an
option. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

1) I would suggest you stop having fires in your fireplace before your house
burns down

AND

2) LEARN HOW TO POST ON A NEWSGROUP!!! YOU POSTED THIS ****ING 6 TIMES!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You need to get a chimney contractor and/or a heating contractor to look at
it.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

smoke smell [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 18th 05 09:39 PM
sewer smell upstairs bathroom! John Home Repair 6 October 9th 05 05:05 PM
300W PC power supply, no POST beep, smell, smoke, bang,dead N Cook Electronics Repair 7 August 18th 05 02:33 AM
Help - I smell smoke Steve Woodworking 6 January 5th 05 04:42 PM
Smoke smell from A/C? Eyes burning. jan Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 04:04 AM