Posted to alt.home.repair
Bgreer5050

Default Siding Installation In The Winter Months

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The siding usually has slots for the nails (not holes). Make sure you don't
drive the nails down all the way, so the siding has room to expand and
contract.

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

I've seen it done in below 0 temperatures. Allowances have to be made for
it to expand and contract no matter when it is hung.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bgreer5050

Since we are on the subject....How about roofs. I have heard of shingle
heaters. Is there any such animal?

Thanks

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

I've seen it done in below 0 temperatures. Allowances have to be made for
it to expand and contract no matter when it is hung.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

The main drawback is how brittle it gets in cold weather. It can still be
done, but you have to be careful when cutting it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

I have done it. You just leave allot of room for expansion.

The only problem is sometimes you have to manhandle the sideing to get it
into place and it may break of crack.

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
om...

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in
cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roofs in freezing wewtyher are a TERRIBLE idea! The sticky tabs dont
seal unless its hot In the winter they will never seal, and by spring
dust will prevent them from sticking.'

a neighboi did this and 2 years later had to redo the roof completely.

siding should be ok, are you addng insulation under the new siding? it
will pay off in lower fuel bills!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

:
: What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl
siding in
: cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?
:
:
:
I don't know where some of the other so called experience stated
here comes from, but you'll find that, starting at about 40
degrees, the vinyl starts becoming more brittle than is good for
it. It cuts hard, cracks easily and is harder to handle without
damage.
Some of the more expensive brands are easier to handle in the
cold, but it's iffy.

It could probably be done if you did the cutting indoors and only
hung it outside and were careful nailing it. But I'd try to wait
for spring if I could - it can gt pretty frustrating about the
third time you notice you cracked it pushing the joints together.

HTH,
Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Annetts

Hello I did it for a living in Edmonton Alberta-quite often in close to 30
below weather. we actually lost less days to weather in the winter than the
summer because of rain. Put a metal cutting blade in your skilsaw and it
will melt its way through in no time. we had a sliding table set up to cut
it with but for one job it is not really necessary. the trim is the trick
part. Easiest way is to use offset metal snips(red) and just before you cut
the trim piece let it warm up in you bare hand for about five seconds or so.
It takes in the heat fast enough that it won't crack. Installing the sheets
themselves were no problem but like the one guy said allow a little room
more that usual for expansion as it is already in its contracted state. One
trick we used to keep our hands warm was to have a halogen light on both
ends of the wall so that after a nailing run you can you hold your hands
near the lights for a quick warm up. also I used those little packs you put
in your gloves to warm them up (hot packs I guess they call them). As always
hang it don't nail the siding.

email if you have any questions. by the way I froze my ass off enough that
I got out of the business and now teach industrial arts.

Mike