Posted to alt.home.repair
J. B.

Default RCA TV Problem with SAP

I have a 35" RCA Entertainment Series television that I bought in 2000
and since last night,the audio automatically changes to the SAP setting.
I have done nothing different,(messed with the menu or added
components),and there were no power surges that occurred.
When it does this,I get a static sound on almost all the channels with
the exception of three or four where the audio is fine. The picture
remains perfect on all channels.
This happened once yesterday but today its happening almost every 10 to
15 minutes. The tv refuses to let me return to main audio and the only
way I get the audio back is to unplug the unit for a second.
Any idea as to what this problem is and repair costs?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

J. B. wrote:
I have a 35" RCA Entertainment Series television that I bought in 2000
and since last night,the audio automatically changes to the SAP setting.
I have done nothing different,(messed with the menu or added
components),and there were no power surges that occurred.
When it does this,I get a static sound on almost all the channels with
the exception of three or four where the audio is fine. The picture
remains perfect on all channels.
This happened once yesterday but today its happening almost every 10 to
15 minutes. The tv refuses to let me return to main audio and the only
way I get the audio back is to unplug the unit for a second.
Any idea as to what this problem is and repair costs?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

Bad battery in the remote or liquid in the remote?
Blow it with a good air source (air compressor
or a hose on the outlet of a vacuum. Test the
battery by replacing with a fresh battery. Also
test the remote by taking into another room and
then just using the buttons on the TV. Might just
be a flaky remote. Otherwise, it is probably time
to buy a new TV as a repair analysis and actual
work will probably be nearly the same amount as a
new TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Try reposting to sci.electronics.repair.
Be sure to list model number.
Lots of pros are on that NG.

Charlie

"J. B." wrote in message

I have a 35" RCA Entertainment Series television that I bought in 2000
and since last night,the audio automatically changes to the SAP setting.
I have done nothing different,(messed with the menu or added
components),and there were no power surges that occurred.
When it does this,I get a static sound on almost all the channels with
the exception of three or four where the audio is fine. The picture
remains perfect on all channels.
This happened once yesterday but today its happening almost every 10 to
15 minutes. The tv refuses to let me return to main audio and the only
way I get the audio back is to unplug the unit for a second.
Any idea as to what this problem is and repair costs?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

J. B. wrote:
I have a 35" RCA Entertainment Series television that I bought in 2000
and since last night,the audio automatically changes to the SAP setting.
I have done nothing different,(messed with the menu or added
components),and there were no power surges that occurred.
When it does this,I get a static sound on almost all the channels with
the exception of three or four where the audio is fine. The picture
remains perfect on all channels.
This happened once yesterday but today its happening almost every 10 to
15 minutes. The tv refuses to let me return to main audio and the only
way I get the audio back is to unplug the unit for a second.
Any idea as to what this problem is and repair costs?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

Thats so odd, I have the exact same problem with my RCA tv and it just
started happening 2 days ago. I have no idea how to fix it and
everytime I try to change from SAP to stereo or mono, it won't let me!
Any feedback that you receive to fix this problem that could be
forwarded to me would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Avant

PaPaPeng wrote:

On 4 Jan 2006 10:03:54 -0800, wrote:

Thats so odd, I have the exact same problem with my RCA tv and it just
started happening 2 days ago. I have no idea how to fix it and
everytime I try to change from SAP to stereo or mono, it won't let me!
Any feedback that you receive to fix this problem that could be
forwarded to me would be appreciated! Thanks!

Same here. Weird. Happened a mongth ago. Only channels 2 and 7
defaulted to SAP. The beauty is that I don't have the original SONY
TV remote control any more. Just a $4 generic one. I suspected the
spent battery diagnosis but that didn't fix it. I can't find the SAP
control input either on the remote or the TV console to toggle reset.
I can live with the SAP. In a way it improves my English by inumber
of words..

Well I'm glad I'm not alone. A couple of days ago my 20 inch RCA
started producing static instead of sound on several channels. I've
found that if I power down, not turn off via remote, the sound will
come back when I turn on via the remote. It does not stay clean but
seems to lose the audio about every 15 to 30 minutes. My set dates
from 2000 so maybe it's time to toss it and get a new tv. I don't use
SAP so I don't think it's related to that. Strange but the "lower"
channels such as 2,4, 7, up to 13 don't seem to be effected but half
of the higher numbers do. I'm on Charter basic + expanded cable since
over the air tv is impossible here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. B.

Daniella,
I had posted my problem on sci.electronics.repair as Charlie(above) had
suggested and noticed others experienced the same problem. One poster
who is a repairman said he had about 20 calls two days ago with same
problem. He said he heard it was a weird signal sent that's confusing
the V-chip,GuidePlus,or just some component that makes the audio
decisions. I haven't had a problem today,at least not yet. Did you try
unplugging the set? It worked for me and other posters with the same
problem said that's what they did also to get their audio back.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic

Just a lurker who had an audio problem with my RCA: static on all channels,
though some audio could be heard on Ch. 13. After reading this post, I
unplugged, replugged, and it works fine. Boy, that's a lot cheaper than the
repair shop! Thanks from the bottom of my checkbook!
--
"J. B." wrote in message
Daniella,
I had posted my problem on sci.electronics.repair as Charlie(above) had
suggested and noticed others experienced the same problem. One poster
who is a repairman said he had about 20 calls two days ago with same
problem. He said he heard it was a weird signal sent that's confusing
the V-chip,GuidePlus,or just some component that makes the audio
decisions. I haven't had a problem today,at least not yet. Did you try
unplugging the set? It worked for me and other posters with the same
problem said that's what they did also to get their audio back.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

Do those having this problem have cable TV?

I've heard of a few people that are having problems with TV flipping into
SAP for no good reason and Cable seems to be a common thread.

. ..
"J. B." wrote in message
Daniella,
I had posted my problem on sci.electronics.repair as Charlie(above) had
suggested and noticed others experienced the same problem. One poster
who is a repairman said he had about 20 calls two days ago with same
problem. He said he heard it was a weird signal sent that's confusing
the V-chip,GuidePlus,or just some component that makes the audio
decisions. I haven't had a problem today,at least not yet. Did you try
unplugging the set? It worked for me and other posters with the same
problem said that's what they did also to get their audio back.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Avant

Last night 6 Jan my tv retuned to normal after I had powered it down.
In the past few days doing this would have it working right for about
15 minutes then the sound would go nuts and it would be forced into a
SAP mode. From about 8 to 10 pm last night and from 6 to 10 am this
morning things seem to be back to normal. I am on Charter Cable in the
Glendale Ca area.

I had called their service twice and of course the reps didn't have
any idea what I was talking about. Yesterday around mid-day I sent an
email to service at Charter and included all of the info about this I
could gather from various news groups. Maybe someone read the email.

Is anyone else with an older RCA still having the problem?

Harry

(Harry Avant) wrote: