Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Annetts

Default How to get dirt and broken-up cement OUT of a basement

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Mike Annetts" writes:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated

(Oops, sorry for the email.)

When I had my french drain installed, I watched what the pros did.
There was a lot of broken cement, rocks, dirt.

They carried it out in buckets.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

use the concrete for drainage in the bases and sift the dirt and fill
up your flower pots and vegetable barrels for spring planting.

then let the neighbors have it in gift 2-1/2 gallon ziploc bags with a
free seed packet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Dan Espen wrote:
"Mike Annetts" writes:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated

(Oops, sorry for the email.)

When I had my french drain installed, I watched what the pros did.
There was a lot of broken cement, rocks, dirt.

They carried it out in buckets.

My Dad did this on the farm. At first it was a crawl space and they
threw it out the window using shovels that they had cut in half. When
they got deeper they were able to use a rubber belted elevator to run
the stuff out the window. I think the guy they borrowed it from used it
for silage.
You could rent on from a construction supply place, maybe.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Annetts" wrote in message
Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be
appreciated
Mike

A few buckets, a bunch of teenagers, a couple of pizzas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim menning

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mike Annetts" wrote in message ...
Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we had to
install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am trying to
figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have access to one
window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated
Mike

A few buckets, a bunch of teenagers, a couple of pizzas.

An injury, a lawsuit, another homeless person.

jim menning

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"jim menning" wrote in message

A few buckets, a bunch of teenagers, a couple of pizzas.

An injury, a lawsuit, another homeless person.

jim menning

And your suggestion is????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I've done this a couple of times, and never figured out an easy way. The one
place had an outside basement entrance. I put a heavy I-bolt on the front of
a wheel barrow. Rolled it over to boards on the entrance, hooked a rope to a
garden tractor and pulled it up. It took 1 guy on the tractor and 1 holding
the wheel barrow.
The conveyor is a good idea if you have a window large enough. If not,
buckets are probably your best way. Decide on an amount, like 5 or 10 or 15,
and take that many out each day. No more, and no less. It's a lot easier
knowing that you only have to take out a set amount. If you start thinking
that you're going to have to take out 300 or 600 buckets, it's real easy to
put it off until tomorrow.

"Mike Annetts" wrote in message
Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be

appreciated
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim menning

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"jim menning" wrote in message

A few buckets, a bunch of teenagers, a couple of pizzas.

An injury, a lawsuit, another homeless person.

jim menning

And your suggestion is????

Hire a bonded, insured handyman, and have a contract with him regarding the job to be
completed and the liability.

jim menning

Posted to alt.home.repair

Install a basement access door, or ingress egress window, adds value
and safety to home, since basement will be dry ands you can call it a
room, or better yet bedroom. easy out in a fire.

access makes all sorts of things easier too.like plumbing and other
basement projects

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"jim menning" wrote in message

Hire a bonded, insured handyman, and have a contract with him regarding
the job to be completed and the liability.

jim menning

How to make a $100 job cost $600. This is pure unskilled labor. That is
what kids, grandkids do for fun and pizza. I hope you are not in charge of
government contracts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Mike Annetts wrote:
Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated
Mike

You are looking at the total job. If you look at it as "what can I do
in a day" it becomes simple. I did the same job - broke and dug a 6"
wide trench totalling 60 ft around two walls of my basement. The
debris went out in buckets. Did I just lay into and pack it out in one
day? Nope. A few buckets at a time over about a week. No pain, no
strain.

Same approach when I wanted to move a garden shed made from a shipping
container. I moved it from one end of the lot to the other and turned
it 180 degrees. Used nothing but an 8 ft 2x4 and some blocking. Could
only shift one end a few inches per lift but it was amazing how fast
the the job was completed. IIRC something like a week of pecking away
at it an hour at a time after work.

Those are the kinds of jobs you can peck away at with no preparation or
'put aways' at each session.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:42:47 -0600, "Mike Annetts"
wrote:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated
Mike

If you have access to farm equipment the deck from an electric grain
elevator works great for stuff like this. I use mine that way, and
use it to shoot horse manure out of the barn too. Somehow I have a
feeling you dont have access to one of these though. Your other
option is plain old buckets and lots of kids to carry them. Of course
for kids, only fill them 1/4 or 1/3 full. Chunks of cement just toss
them out the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Annetts

Anybody use an auger of some sort. another idea I was wondering about is to
make a ramp out the window with a rolling box on it pulled up by an electric
winch I have. I am kind of on a time limit on this one and I have a bad
back so I don't really want to try the bucket thing if possible. I had also
thought of a bunch of teenagers forming a "sandbag" line getting it out.
believe it or not it is hard to get them to work. ( I am a shop teacher in
the local school)

thanks
Mike
wrote:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be
appreciated
Mike

You should be able to find some "labor" that would do this for you.
Around here that would be "Mexicans", actually refering to latino
gentlemen from Mexico, Guatemala or Honduras. You will be amazed how
much work will get done for $100 and you can't even get a machine
delivered for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Time limit? How are you going to create a ramp and rolling box in a
reasonable amount of time. Teenagers would have the basement emptied long
before your ramp was built and cost less. Will your box hold a shovelful of
dirt or a wheelbarrow full? Will it self dump at the end of the track into
a wheelbarrow? Or will you leave the basement to empty the box with a
shovel? How can any of this be faster and cheaper than a crew of kids. If
you can create a long ramp with a gentle slope you could probably pull a
sled out the window with a riding mower and drag it around back to empty it.
I make my sleds by cutting a hot water tank in half. The rounded shape
allows the person on the mower to dump it by pulling it sideways.

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"Mike Annetts" wrote in message
Anybody use an auger of some sort. another idea I was wondering about is
to make a ramp out the window with a rolling box on it pulled up by an
electric winch I have. I am kind of on a time limit on this one and I
have a bad back so I don't really want to try the bucket thing if
possible. I had also thought of a bunch of teenagers forming a "sandbag"
line getting it out. believe it or not it is hard to get them to work.
( I am a shop teacher in the local school)

thanks
Mike

I have dug out a few basements in my time and have had good luck calling the
local temp agencys. They have always supplied me with workers. They charge
like $25.00 per hour and only pay the guys $12.00 but they also provide the
work comp insurance.

wrote:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement.
we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I
am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be
appreciated
Mike

You should be able to find some "labor" that would do this for you.
Around here that would be "Mexicans", actually refering to latino
gentlemen from Mexico, Guatemala or Honduras. You will be amazed how
much work will get done for $100 and you can't even get a machine
delivered for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:35:30 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"jim menning" wrote in message

Hire a bonded, insured handyman, and have a contract with him regarding
the job to be completed and the liability.

jim menning

How to make a $100 job cost $600. This is pure unskilled labor. That is
what kids, grandkids do for fun and pizza. I hope you are not in charge of
government contracts.

===============
Ghosh Ed.....
You and me think way too much alike.... when I first tread Jim's
reply I though he must be a Lawyer in charge of writing Government
Contracts.....

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee

Mike Annetts wrote:

Hello
any ideas on how to get some dirt and broken cement out of a basement. we
had to install some interior weeping tile inside our basement and now I am
trying to figure out an easy way to get the cement and dirt out. I have
access to one window about 2 feet by 3 feet. any ideas would be appreciated
Mike

I just got another person to help me, then picked up a half-dozen
empty five-gallon pails from the local bakery and rented a small
dumpster that was dropped just outside the back door. We took turns
filling the buckets about half-full, the other person then carrying
them up the stairs out the door and into the dumpster. It was usually
easier to carry a half-full bucket in each hand to balance the load,
though sometimes we'd just carry one. We also learned to do this at a
very moderate pace with plenty of breaks. There's no need to exhaust
yourself doing this, slow but steady work will get it done
surprisingly fast.

Myself, I'd rather walk a bucket up a flight of stairs than lift it
over my head and push it out a window. It's a lot less strain on the
neck and back muscles. Maybe you could rig a come-along outside the
window to pull the buckets up off the floor and out the window, but
even then you'll be constantly bending down to pick them up and dump
them. I have a bad back myself and walking buckets upstairs and
raising them just high enough to pour into a dumpster wasn't bad at
all. We got it done in two evenings work without any hurry or strain.

HellT
Posted to alt.home.repair

carful if your using kids and a teacher. theres numerous liability
issues, from injury to anyone accusining inappropiate activity.

risking your job isnt worth it.....

20 years ago kids and parents both would of been happy.

things have changed so much