Poulan Chainsaw Won't Oil Bar And Chain

Old January 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poulan Chainsaw Won't Oil Bar And Chain

I have a Poulan 1950 LE Woodshark that is not oiling the bar and chain.

I drained out the oil, checked the screen, (which was clean) took off
the side cover that holds the bar and shot WD-40 thru the hose's that
run back to the reservoir to make sure they weren't blocked. (WD-40
flowed freely)

I also cleaned the oil holes and the grove in the bar.

Then I reassembled the saw, filled it with oil, ran it, with no signs
of oil flowing onto the bar/chain.

Then I ran it with the side cover off and w/o the bar, no oil flowing
from the port/tube.

The saw is only a yr old and I've only made about 100 cuts with it,
what could be the problem?

It's obvious to me that the oil isn't being pumped, is this a common
problem with Poulan or did I just get a lemon?

And, is this an easy fix?

Old January 5th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It's known as a fairly cheaply made saw. Sounds as if you did all the
stuff you should have. If you get no help here, try posting at the
misc.rural usenet forum, or, alternatively on www.gardenweb.com in the
toolshed forum.

I'm not much at small engine mechanics....

If you will be using a saw much, you might try stepping up to an echo,
Husky or stihl, you might be able to get a used one from a local dealer
for not too many million....

Old January 6th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It's known as a fairly cheaply made saw. Sounds as if you did all the
stuff you should have. If you get no help here, try posting at the
misc.rural usenet forum, or, alternatively on
www.gardenweb.com in the
toolshed forum.

I'm not much at small engine mechanics....

If you will be using a saw much, you might try stepping up to an echo,
Husky or stihl, you might be able to get a used one from a local dealer
for not too many million....

Thanks, I'll try there.

BTW, no I don't use it much. Like I said, I've only made about 100 cuts
with it in a little over a yr. Just enough time for the warranty to run
out. I could take it back to Home Depot but they don't carry that saw
anymore. I might just try taking it back anyway maybe they'll give me a
credit.

Old January 7th 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Poulan 1950 LE Woodshark that is not oiling the bar and chain.

I drained out the oil, checked the screen, (which was clean) took off
the side cover that holds the bar and shot WD-40 thru the hose's that
run back to the reservoir to make sure they weren't blocked. (WD-40
flowed freely)

I also cleaned the oil holes and the grove in the bar.

Then I reassembled the saw, filled it with oil, ran it, with no signs
of oil flowing onto the bar/chain.

Then I ran it with the side cover off and w/o the bar, no oil flowing
from the port/tube.

The saw is only a yr old and I've only made about 100 cuts with it,
what could be the problem?

It's obvious to me that the oil isn't being pumped, is this a common
problem with Poulan or did I just get a lemon?

And, is this an easy fix?

It is an easy fix. Just buy a new oil pump and install it.

You can order from your parts diagram or at any parts place.

Why did it fail? I can't say but a new pump solved my problem after I had
done all the things you have done.

Colbyt

Old January 8th 06, 09:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sorry if this post twice, friggen Google.

I found an oil pump locally, what part of the saw do I need to take
apart to replace the oil pump?

Thanks, Ron

Old January 8th 06, 09:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Do you have the same saw ?

Old January 9th 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
It is an easy fix. Just buy a new oil pump
and install it.

You can order from your parts diagram
or at any parts place.

Why did it fail? I can't say but a new
pump solved my problem after I had
done all the things you have done.

OK, I located a new oil pump (locally) what part of the saw do I need to
take apart to gain access to the pump?

Thanks, Ron