Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Default measureing for a new storm door

I want to replace the old one and don't know where I should measure. Do
I measure the door that is there now, or the concrete walls that it is
embedded in or ? Could someone also recommend a good web page to view
some inexpensive doors..I'm on a budget. i heard that the labor would
cost more than the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the old one and don't know where I should measure. Do
I measure the door that is there now, or the concrete walls that it is
embedded in or ? Could someone also recommend a good web page to view
some inexpensive doors..I'm on a budget. i heard that the labor would
cost more than the door?

You measure the opening of the frame that the door is mounted to. You will
remove the hinges to take down the old one and put the new on in its place.
Doors are made to be adjustable within an inch or so.

Are you handy with tools? Most can be installed in a couple of hours with
screwdriver, hacksaw, tape measure, drill and a couple of bits. I used to
charge $20 to install doors, but that was 35 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the old one and don't know where I should measure. Do
I measure the door that is there now, or the concrete walls that it is
embedded in or ? Could someone also recommend a good web page to view
some inexpensive doors..I'm on a budget. i heard that the labor would
cost more than the door?

Most doors in the US are one of two sizes 32x80 or 36x80. There are
exceptions to that rule. The ready made doors can usually accommodate 1/4"
+ - in width and 1" +- in height. You measure between the side jambs and
from the top of the jamb bottom to the sill. You measure with the old door
removed for the greatest accuracy.

If you have some odd ball size there are "cheats" that can be done. Post
back for those.

I have had good luck with the Larson wood core storms. Unless $ are really
tight the aluminum clad one is worth the extra cost when compared to the
vinyl clad. Here about $120 for the better.

Around here the installation costs about 20% more than the door. In urban
areas I am sure it could be as much as twice the cost.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I put my own Larson wood core doors on and it was a nasty job, mostly
because the wood core doors weight 6 times as much as the cheapo aluminum
doors. Depends on your age and how many hernias you've had. If you're young
and fit, go with the Larson, it's a good door.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

remove the old one and take it to the store.
the correct answer may involve the connected frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Thanks to all that replied. I cannot remove door and bring to home
depot...nearest store...i don't own a car. After I posted the original
message, I came across a Anderson brochure that shows how to measure
for a new storm door. It shows horizontal arrows going to each end of
the opening...not the door itself and the same vertically. So now its
more confuseing than ever. Too bad they don't come over and measure and
give an estimate at the same time. I guess those days are gone forever.
Have to pay for their time...they say.

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to all that replied. I cannot remove door and bring to home
depot...nearest store...i don't own a car. After I posted the original
message, I came across a Anderson brochure that shows how to measure
for a new storm door. It shows horizontal arrows going to each end of
the opening...not the door itself and the same vertically. So now its
more confuseing than ever. Too bad they don't come over and measure and
give an estimate at the same time. I guess those days are gone forever.
Have to pay for their time...they say.

Home Depot comes out and measures and gives you an estimate.
Generally you just measure the interior door slab that should be the measure
of the storm.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Too bad they don't come over and measure and
give an estimate at the same time. I guess those days are gone forever.
Have to pay for their time...they say.

Who is "they"? If you are talking about the big box stores, they are
interested in high volume, fast turnover, and don't much give a damn about
you. OTOH, many small independent contractors will be happy to come to your
house and show you some brochures, talk about what you need, and do the
measuring while there. And do it for less than the big guys. I made a
comfortable buck doing just that and underpricing Sears by 20% or more for
the same door from the same factory.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Home Depot comes out and measures and gives you an estimate.
Generally you just measure the interior door slab that should be the
measure
of the storm.

For Free?
Where do u live? HD here in NYC, would not do this? Don't u think I had
asked before submitting any info here in this newsgroup?