Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob

Default Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth
Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

the only appliances I know of that are vented through PVC are new, and power
vented.
Your oil furnace is probably not able to be retrofitted to do this. Seek
professional help before attempting.

Sorry I have NEVER seen a furnace vented into a yard. Please provide details
on this.
Uniform Building Codes that I am ware of require vents to be above the roof
top so the fumes and CO are not ingested.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

I will answer in case the HVAC guys are at a party.

Only modern furnaces with a secondary heat exchanger are eligible for using
PVC as the exhaust.

All older furnaces that I have encountered require a stack that terminates
above the roofline.

Oil furnaces are a different critter. I would GUESS that any flue that
meets the guidelines in the furnace manual would work. A non-masonry
chimney should be an option.

For you safety use whatever you learn in this group as a guideline and
consult with a local HVAC person experienced in oil furnaces before you
proceed.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You can't vent the oil furnace you have with PVC. You need to use either a
Field or Tjernlund 'power venter'. There are specific guidelines for their
placement, and the wiring can be complicated for a novice. You can use
standard galvanized smoke pipe going to the power venter, but they are just
another mechanical component that can break over time. If you have an
existing chimney, get it repaired or replaced. A chimney liner or a complete
new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
You can't vent the oil furnace you have with PVC. You need to use either a
Field or Tjernlund 'power venter'. There are specific guidelines for their
placement, and the wiring can be complicated for a novice. You can use
standard galvanized smoke pipe going to the power venter, but they are
just
another mechanical component that can break over time. If you have an
existing chimney, get it repaired or replaced. A chimney liner or a
complete
new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

Bob beat me to it (Damn! You must read this group 24 hours a day! ;-] )

Just wanted to add a couple links:

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/rpt.swg.html

http://www.tjernlund.com/oilsidewall.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
Damn, I thought about it, but forgot to add links. I'll be more careful
next
time.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
You can't vent the oil furnace you have with PVC. You need to use
either

Field or Tjernlund 'power venter'. There are specific guidelines for

their
placement, and the wiring can be complicated for a novice. You can use
standard galvanized smoke pipe going to the power venter, but they are
just
another mechanical component that can break over time. If you have an
existing chimney, get it repaired or replaced. A chimney liner or a
complete
new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

Bob beat me to it (Damn! You must read this group 24 hours a day! ;-] )

SEE!!! SEE!!!

;-]

BTW, we install both but I personally hate the damn thimgs.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas).

Thats ONLY on 90% or better condensing furnaces.

I can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a chimney
(several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I don't want
to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil furnace out of
the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is yes it would have
to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into the yard as is done
with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be retro-fit on an oil
furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the newest more efficient
oil furnaces?

This is one that you need to check with your local permit office, and an
inspector...the IBC, and IFC says no.
you COULD use a power vent to go to your sidewall.....and I promise you one
thing....if your tech isnt tuning your furnace right each year, you will
know it in short order.

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

not on your older furnace. it doesn't burn clean enough. and it
routinely requires a hot exhaust updraft discharge up a chimney to
specified feet above the rooftop.
you're probably looking at a 99 percent efficient combustion of gas on
those pvc ground level flues.
i searched google for "high efficiency oil heat pvc flue"
and came across a good article about how much maintenance they save
with a change:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/h...ermination.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Too much bias and inaccuracies in that article to even comment on. The guy
is going only by his personal experience, and using emotion, which should
never come into play when picking a system.

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
not on your older furnace. it doesn't burn clean enough. and it
routinely requires a hot exhaust updraft discharge up a chimney to
specified feet above the rooftop.
you're probably looking at a 99 percent efficient combustion of gas on
those pvc ground level flues.
i searched google for "high efficiency oil heat pvc flue"
and came across a good article about how much maintenance they save
with a change:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/h...ermination.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Install stainless stell flue liner in existing chimey, as another
option.

a new high efficeny furnace will likely pay for itself, in lower fule
bills, and no chimney issues

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:58:56 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

A chimney liner or a complete
new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

Hmm. I have a galvanized double-walled chimney, and a ~10"
galvanized pipe leading to it. When I replace the furnace, 26 years
old, will I have to replace either the chimney (which is deeply stuck
into the house) or just the pipe that winds around the furnace to it?
Or neither?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.