Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony

Default How often should a gas furnace cycle?

I just had a new furnace and AC installed. The job was done very well. The
new furnace is a two stage that puts out 84,000 BTU at the high stage. I
live in a two story home that's 22 years old in the Mid-Atlantic area. Home
is reasonably well constructed: basement, no noticeable drafts, well
insulated, approx 2300 sq.ft. With the thermostat set to 67F and the current
temp outside of ~40F, the furnace is cycling about 3-4 times per hour to
maintain the inside temp. What I can't tell yet is whether it's cycling
entirely in first stage only, or going to the second stage. Having said that
does it seem like this is a correct rate for cycling?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

It's really a comfort vs. economy thing. The more a system cycles on and
off, the less the temperature will fluctuate. A lot of thermostats are
adjustable. On some of the new electronic thermostats, you need to go into
the 'installer setup'. If you do, and get something wrong, you could be
looking at a service call.

"Tony" wrote in message
. ..
I just had a new furnace and AC installed. The job was done very well. The
new furnace is a two stage that puts out 84,000 BTU at the high stage. I
live in a two story home that's 22 years old in the Mid-Atlantic area.

is reasonably well constructed: basement, no noticeable drafts, well
insulated, approx 2300 sq.ft. With the thermostat set to 67F and the

current
temp outside of ~40F, the furnace is cycling about 3-4 times per hour to
maintain the inside temp. What I can't tell yet is whether it's cycling
entirely in first stage only, or going to the second stage. Having said

that
does it seem like this is a correct rate for cycling?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

My Lennox goes to second only on a 2 degree drop, some do it over a time
period, are you comfortable, the literature should explain your unit. If
it cycles to much adjust the thermostat anticipator or swing, less
cycles is easier on equipment and better for efficiency but harder on
comfort as temp varies more between on and off temp. Experiment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Tony wrote:

I just had a new furnace and AC installed. The job was done very well. The
new furnace is a two stage that puts out 84,000 BTU at the high stage. I
live in a two story home that's 22 years old in the Mid-Atlantic area. Home
is reasonably well constructed: basement, no noticeable drafts, well
insulated, approx 2300 sq.ft. With the thermostat set to 67F and the current
temp outside of ~40F, the furnace is cycling about 3-4 times per hour to
maintain the inside temp. What I can't tell yet is whether it's cycling
entirely in first stage only, or going to the second stage. Having said that
does it seem like this is a correct rate for cycling?

Sounds ok to me, as long as they're normal cycles (as opposed to
e.g. shutting down due to the furnace limit switch). What's _really_
bothering you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's _really_bothering you?

I think the original poster wants some sort of verification that 3-4
times an hour is OK. They want to see if maybe it's oversized, or
something. Mine does 3-4 times and hour but I'd prefer maybe once
every hour or two (I don't see any thermostat doing that though).