Problem with Schlage door lock

Old December 30th 05, 08:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with Schlage door lock

Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Old December 30th 05, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
[...]

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Old December 30th 05, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nosmo King wrote:

[...]

Not sure about that particular lockset but the spring that retracts the
latch maybe in the handle/lever part of the lockset.

You might do a google search for that lockset and or manufacture and see
what comes up.

RV
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Old December 30th 05, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I've found a door or 2 in my time where the striker plate (in the wall)
for some reason 'gripped' the spring loaded bolt, so instead of shoving
the bolt into the door, it just 'stuck'.

Drove me nuts because the bolt would push in easy by hand, but wouldn't
retract when the door was closed.

Make sure the striker plate has a gentle curve that will first touch
the bolt on the curved/sloped/slanted portion of the bolt.

That, and a little lube, set mine straight.

Dave

Old December 30th 05, 11:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nosmo King" wrote in message ...
Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Wax the bolt and striker plate where they touch in operation. Lubricate the lock internals.

Bob

Old December 30th 05, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Yes. The first one started it about a year ago (locks are about 5 years old).
It was on a door in the garage that doesn't get used much, so I never did
anything about it. The second door just started acting this way this week.

The problem is definitely with the latch part, as you can not manually push it
in. I'll try dis-assembling the locks and see if the silicon spray helps.

Old December 31st 05, 08:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Nosmo King wrote:

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

Same problem on more than one door, after they've both worked properly in
the past?

Yes. The first one started it about a year ago (locks are about 5 years old).
It was on a door in the garage that doesn't get used much, so I never did
anything about it. The second door just started acting this way this week.

The problem is definitely with the latch part, as you can not manually push it
in. I'll try dis-assembling the locks and see if the silicon spray helps.

If with the door open you can't push the latch in the problem is
probably the half round deadlocking pin on the back of the latch is not
comming fully out. If the deadlatch pin is far enough in the latch has
to be retracted with the knob - prevents case-knifing. If the deadlatch
pin is out and the latch can't be retracted the problem should be in the
latch - I would consider buying a new latch only - probably from a
locksmith.

bud--