Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS!

I have scheduled an appointment with an appliance repairman but would
like your opinion about the following.

Age of washing machine: 8 years (purchased in March, 1998)
Initial purchase price: About $800
Usage profile: 7 to 10 loads per week (About 3000
loads of clothes have been washed; yes, I am a geek and have a tally
mark going...)
Repairs-to-date: Just one repair, a leaky water pump was
replaced in January 2003, $75 parts + $45 labor.

Now, all of a sudden, the washer is taking LONG naps!

When I start the washer, it runs fine for a few minutes, then, on its
own, shuts down or sleeps (door lock indicator remains on). After about
5 to 10 minutes, it starts again and runs for 5 to 7 minutes. This
pattern continues until the washing is done.

It is going through all the wash, agitate, rinse, ..., sping, fast
spin, etc. cycles. It is also using all the soap, bleach, softener, hot
water and cold water, properly. When the washing is finished, there's
no difference in the quality of the wash. All settings for wash, extra
rinse, etc. are working fine. I have opened the top & back covers, and
there's no blockage of the vents near the fan. There's no burnt smell
indicating any motor burn-out or anything.

Looks like a sensor or timer malfunction.

Q1. Has anyone seen this behavior on thier Frigidaire or any other
front loading washing machine?

Q2. The machine has 2 years parts+labor warranty; 5 years parts-only
warranty; and 25 years (!) drum-only warranty. I feel GUILTY about
throwing and buying a new machine, when 99% of it is fully functional.
At the same time, it probably does not make sense to pay $300 or so to
repair it. Any guesses on what it might cost?

Q3. I called Frigidaire and their response: call a servicrepairman. Any
tips for furtehr diagnostics? I have made simple repairs to some home
appliances in the past (microwave, stove elements; electric oven,
etc.), but a washing machine seems like intersection of electronics +
electrical + mechnaical -- so it may be out of my league. Any tips for
further diagnostics?

Thanks a lot.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Wordsmith

They're not so darn dependable, huh?

W ; )

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

check the pressure and temp of the water inlet.

I have seen this sort of behavior when the machine is draining or
filling and low water pressure is causing it to take a long time to
fill.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Gene S. Berkowitz

In article .com,
says...
They're not so darn dependable, huh?

W ; )

That would be Maytag (now Whirlpool).

--Gene

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Don

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, don't have an answer for Q1 or Q2.
Q3. Try this place
http://www.repairclinic.com

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Charles Quinn

wrote in news:1135804354.025946.15880
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Do you have the manual, is there a troubleshooting guide in it. There may
be a schematic troubleshooting guide inside the machine. I looked and the
Frigidaire website will let you download the manual. Are you using low
suds soap?

--
---
Charles Quinn

"Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia
Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
HeyBub

wrote:
[...]

I agree with another poster: motor overheating. When it cools down, the
machine picks up where it it left off.

Is the motor overly-warm at shut-down time? If so, check the directions for
replacing the motor - it may be something doable for anyone whose hand fits
a screwdriver.

If it IS the motor, more than half the repair bill will be the markup on the
motor. See if you can get the replacement motor yourself and pay for only
the labor to replace it.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
If it IS the motor, more than half the repair bill will be the markup on the
motor. See if you can get the replacement motor yourself and pay for only
the labor to replace it.

I just went through this, and that matches my problem. The machine was
dead. Later, I played with it some more; it hummed, but no movement.
The motor was very warm. I removed it, and it was somehow bound up and
I had to use a pliers to turn the shaft by hand. Oh, that's not good.

I surfed around, and found a replacement motor for my Amana (Maytag?)
at
pcappliancerepair.com

This motor came with a new pully, and the motor switch/connector as
well.

The motor and a new belt were $118 and change. I chose 2-day air for
shipping, but they emailed and said that it was too heavy, and offered
2-day land for even less money. So I said sure! (Local repair shop
wanted $165 for the motor.)

New motor works and I have no complaints. The repair was pretty easy.

Note: As long as you have it apart, remember to check ALL WIRES in the
machine. In my dryer, I once found that the wiring insulation had been
scraped off by some sheet metal, and had actually been arcing for some
time. Scary...

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS! -- More info

Thanks to all those who responded. Here are some more details and
findings.

1. The model number is FTW445GES1
2. Problem does NOT appear tp be the motor. I touched it, and it was
quite cool.
3. Quite by chance, I lightly pressed the door, and the nap ended!
After that I did a test where I continuously applied light pressure on
the door and it went through the complete cycle without taking any
naps.

So, most likely it's the door lock assembly. In the parts catalog, it's
listed as part number 131269400. A little google search revealed that
this part is discontinued, and has been replaced by part number
131888900. Entering 131888900 in Froogle shows a couple of places that
sell it for around $70 (plus or minus $5).

The repairman is scheduled to take a look on Tuesday, or Wednesday.
I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what price he says for this part, and
for service.

If you have replaced the door lock assembly in front loading washer, I
welcome your tips, tricks and suggestions.

Bhoot Nath

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Mike Berger

If you run into a problem with the replacement motor, the installer
will not warrant the one you supplied yourself. That's why they're
entitled to the markup. They're assuming extra risk.

Pay them to do the entire job, and they will make good on any
subsequent problems. Pay them to install your part, and you're on
your own if it fails.

HeyBub wrote:
If it IS the motor, more than half the repair bill will be the markup on the
motor. See if you can get the replacement motor yourself and pay for only
the labor to replace it.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
downsized_diva

I would say repair it, though there is a lot of great DIY advice here. A new
machine is definitely going to cost more than $300.

Theresa

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

One of the most common problems with Frigidaire washers is that they
depend not so much on soap and water, but on cooling the clothes and
agitating them so the frozen dirt flakes off. So if you have more
problems, be sure to check the compressor and the freon.

???

You are loca or what?

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

I know. I was making a little joke.

W ; )

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Kathy

Mine (same model) wouldn't spin today. It just loafed a little one way,
and sat, and loafed a little the other, and sat, taking half an hour
for a quick "drain and spin" cycle and leaving the clothes soppy. I
tried four times with no luck and went to hunt down the manual. The
manual says that can be caused by an inadequately latched door or a
too-small load. In my case, throwing in a couple of wet hand towels
with what was indeed a small load solved the problem.

Kathy

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Jumpster Jiver

wrote:
[...]

If it has a mechanical timer, it is sticking and running slow. The
timer needs to be cleaned/serviced or replaced.

The timer uses a motor to make contacts connect to other contacts as the
mechanis moves in a full circle. When the contacts are rubbing
together, more force is needed to use it so it will run slower or
intermittently start/stop along its path.
Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
trippinkpj

Front loaders in general seem to have more problems than top loaders.
IMO. We went through a 6 year nightmare with Maytag (Neptune model).
Can you say class action suit?! Anyway we have another Front loader,
Whirlpool for about 9 months so far, so good. Our friends have the
Frigidaire for over a year, no problems yet.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
KLS

On 6 Jan 2006 15:52:51 -0800, "trippinkpj"
wrote:

Front loaders in general seem to have more problems than top loaders.
IMO. We went through a 6 year nightmare with Maytag (Neptune model).
Can you say class action suit?! Anyway we have another Front loader,
Whirlpool for about 9 months so far, so good. Our friends have the
Frigidaire for over a year, no problems yet.

Yes, front loaders do tend to have more problems due to the more
complicated engineering, so an extended warranty is a good idea for
these machines. Our Frigidaire Gallery is coming up on 3 years of
good service, only had to have the door gasket replaced with a
redesigned one that stopped the small seepage. Works great, does
about 5-6 loads a week.
Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem.
Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work.
Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock
assembly.
I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount.
I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has
it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Rich256

That seems expensive. Almost half the price of a new machine.
The assembly costs about $70 but it might be just the catch.

If I couldn't fix it myself I would go for a new one.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem.
Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work.
Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock
assembly.
I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount.
I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has
it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Installing that switch is a real bear. An average homeowner would look
in there and say it's impossible, and they'd be almost right.

Q (ex appliance tech)

Rich256 wrote:
That seems expensive. Almost half the price of a new machine.
The assembly costs about $70 but it might be just the catch.

If I couldn't fix it myself I would go for a new one.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem.
Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work.
Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock
assembly.
I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount.
I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has
it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Rich256

ink.net...

Rich256 wrote:
That seems expensive. Almost half the price of a new machine.
The assembly costs about $70 but it might be just the catch.

If I couldn't fix it myself I would go for a new one.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem.
Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work.
Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock
assembly.
I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount.
I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has
it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

But it could be just the latch. If pushing on the door closes it the
problem must be mechanical.

I think what I would do is check out the wiring and bypass it. Just
remember not to open the door when it is running.

I expect it is not much more than a switch controlled by a signal from the
motor or timer.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

As I recall there is a micro switch or maybe two, and a wax motor. You
could indeed bypass it. You can access the switch/lock from the bottom
access panel or by removing the top. You'll need to wedge something
between the drum and the front panel in order to get your hands in
there. It's a good idea to wear long sleeves to prevent cuts by the
sharp sheet metal. There is a wiring diagram on the tech sheet which is
located in an envelope glued to the side of the washer behind the lower
panel.

But it could be just the latch. If pushing on the door closes it the
problem must be mechanical.

I think what I would do is check out the wiring and bypass it. Just
remember not to open the door when it is running.

I expect it is not much more than a switch controlled by a signal from the
motor or timer.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem.
Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work.
Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock
assembly.
I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount.
I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has
it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

SK,

The $270 quote sounds a bit too high. I hope it was a free estimate,
and you did not have to pay for the initial diagnostics. The door has
two components:

1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to
replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is fine. If your machine
needs just this part, you can fix it yourself for less than $10.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=780701

2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. This is what
my washer will probably need. The cost is about $70 to $90 (cheaper on
the web). However, where it is connected is in a tight spot, and I will
need the repairman to install it. So, that will add his cost: $45 for
the first 15 minutes, and $10 each additional 15 minutes
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=820920

The repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on
Thursday, his truck's axle broke So he called to reschedule -- let's
hope it gets fixed this week. I'll send you an email when it is done,
with details. And a referral, if you are in the Bay Area.

Bhoot Nath.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Q wrote:
Installing that switch is a real bear. An average homeowner would look
in there and say it's impossible, and they'd be almost right.

Q (ex appliance tech)

Hello Q:

There are two parts to the door latch:
1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to
replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is FINE.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=780701

2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. My GUESS is
that is what my washer needs.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=820920

I have repaired many appliances myself, including a microwave, a bread
machine, clothes dryer, etc. However, in case of the Frigidaire washing
machine, the switch is next to the drum, very inaccessible. I have no
idea how to proeprly replace it. I have not had the courage to tackle
it ... plus, with a toddler, I can't expect my wife to be able to help
if I get stuck.

As an ex-appliance tech, please tell me if the following rate for labor
is fair/reasonable: $45 for the first 15 minutes, and $10 each
additional 15 minutes. Also, how much time you think an average
repairman would take? Got any recommendation in mid-peninsula and/or
east bay of the SF Bay Area (Fremont, Milpitas, Palo Alto, Mountain
View)?

One repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on
Thursday, his truck's axle broke So he called to reschedule -- let's
hope it gets fixed this week.

Bhoot Nath.

Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Thanks for the information.
I think I have figured out how to fix or manage to use the wash machine
before it is fully fixed.
The door catch looks intact. When the door is closed (locked), the
upper portion of the door catch goes into the
upper hole of the door lock assembly, pressing the lever upwards which
turns on the power for motor. Also when the lever is pressed upwards,
the lower portion of the door catch is engaged in the lower hole of the
door lock assembly, which prevents the door from getting loose during
the wash cycles. My washmachine's lever has been drooped
slightly downward and the upper protruding portion of door catch can
not push the lever upwards, instead it pushes
the lever forwards. I am in the middle of reshaping the door catch
using Dremel grinder so that it has right angle with
respect to the lever. I already tried once, but I grinded the catch
wrongly. I have ordered another door catch.

In the meantime, we are using the washmachine by inserting three
quarter conins at the bottom of the door to press
the lever upwards. It works great, even thou primitive.

I will inform you in some days whether it has been fully fixed or we
are still using quarters to make it work.
Also I will be intetrested what is the progress at your side.

SK