Posted to alt.home.repair
1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Thoughts and concerns / design ideas for using a grill on a deck?

I am building a new deck (hopefully myself) and will be using the new
blended (part wood, part plastic) decking material that has been on the
market a few years now. Currently our BBQ grill, which I use every day in
the mild and warm months is out the back door, down the upper & lower deck,
down a small set of steps onto a concrete patio near our garage. Total
distance and steps 40 ft plus 15 stair steps. My wife would like it closer
to the house on the upper deck so she could help with the cooking more
easily. I would like any and all thoughts on this; I wouldn't mind the
shorter walk, but would need to design in safety features to allow safety,
prevent fire and deck damage but still be attractive in appearance. I am
sure someone has approached this challenge before. The current grill which
is very functional is a typical portable propane on a rolling cart ($200
ish). I am not opposed to spending more on a grill if necessary to meet the
long term safety and appearance issues for the deck.

Thanks in advance -- Any and all advice welcome. I am looking for concerns
and ideas regarding both the deck and the grill. Also, how close to the
siding on the home is it reasonable to have the grill?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Retiredff

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Also, how
close to the siding on the home is it reasonable to have the grill?

Place your grill on the far edge of the deck, oppisite from the house. This
offers the best protection, not only for the siding, but also away from any
overhanging eves.

I've seen a handful of failed regulators on gas grills, and the resulting
fire will destroy a house in minutes.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
1_Patriotic_Guy

Exactly what happens when a regulator fails? Is this when the grill is lit,
or just sitting there between uses? In general what makes a regulator fail?

Thanks in advance

"Retiredff" wrote in message
ink.net...
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Also, how
close to the siding on the home is it reasonable to have the grill?

Place your grill on the far edge of the deck, oppisite from the house.
This offers the best protection, not only for the siding, but also away
from any overhanging eves.

I've seen a handful of failed regulators on gas grills, and the resulting
fire will destroy a house in minutes.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

We have some good friends who piped their grill to natural gas and
had it protected under the eave overhang. Something went wrong
and they needed to replace some brick and eave. Due to their
experience, I would not keep it under the eave.

If you are worried about stains on the deck, you might consider a
sheet of Hardie siding (comes in 4x8 and 4x10) under the grill.
If and when it is stained, replace it instead of deck boards.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

I have two grills on my redwood deck (Weber propane and Weber natural
gas)-- they're both on the side of the deck away from the house (10-12
feet away, I'd guess) and I've never had a problem. I keep them maybe
half a foot away from the railing, but other than that I can think of
only the normal precautions (turn off the gas when you're not using the
grill, make sure that spiders haven't built nests inside the tubes,
etc.).

I've also found that having the grill face away from the house means
that when I have a big party with people in the back yard, when I'm at
the grill I'm facing them instead of having my back to my guests.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)
Brain Champagne-- now with free, clean video on the website!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message

Also, how close to the siding on the home is it reasonable to have the
grill?

How close depends on how big the inevitalbe flare up will be. Put he grill
on the far side of the deck out in the open. No way would I put mine
against the house or under an eave or near a window.

My grill has been on the deck for 25 years with no problems. But, stuff
happens and flare-ups do happen. Mine is only inches from the deck rail and
has not caused any overheating or burning problem. Being in the open, there
is no grease or smoke splatters on the house either.

Rare, but it does happen that a propane tanks gets on fire or a grill
otherwise loses control. With 12' to the house, it minimizes any potential
problems. Next to the house could end up costing the house.

Next is a good grill. For the $200 it will cook a burnger, for for anything
more serious, look at Vermont Castings, BroilMaster, MHP or Weber. They are
far superior to cook with. Plan to spend $600 to $1500

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

only the normal precautions (turn off the gas when you're not using the
grill, make sure that spiders haven't built nests inside the tubes,
etc.).

this spider thing really happens,

happend to me....

the grill appears to work, but after a few minutes the flame backs up
through the tubes due to the restricted gas flow and starts burning at
the controls and soon everything is on fire....

get one of those little brushes and check the tubes at the start of the
season etc. and keep the grill away fom the house.

turn off the tank valve when not in use

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

[...]

Good Grief! Do you barbecue like my father-in-law? When he gets out the
charcoal starter, even the dog runs.

But, if you use a propane grill, and keep it at least a few (6) feet away
from everything, it should be okay. I have mine under my patio, and it
doesn't flare up enough to ever discolor the underneath, like a charcoal
grill would. You might consider putting an accessory area with table, sink,
cutting board, dorm fridge, microwave, storage and steel plated area for
Dutch Oven cooking. Not necessarily every one of those things, but those
you use the most. A lot of those things can be seasonal and modular so you
can put them away in your winters. An overhead weather guard in the form of
a small roof is good when you want to cook and the weather doesn't want you
to.

Think ahead. Plan. Do it once, do it right. I, personally would put it on
the outside edge of the deck,as far away from the siding as possible.

Steve