Great, the Great Stuff is clogged.

Old December 25th 05, 12:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Great, the Great Stuff is clogged.

The can of Great Stuff foam sealer is clogged at the tip after
one use. In order to unclog it, I will face the can tip down on
a concrete surface and push down on the can with my full
weight. This breaks the seal and the can is reusable. I have
used a paper clip to clean foam off the can's nozzle, but it
doesn't work and doesn't seem safe.

I have a feeling that this can will get stuck forever. Is there
a practical way to prevent it from clogging in the future?

Thanks

Old December 25th 05, 01:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
. net...
The can of Great Stuff foam sealer is clogged at the tip after
one use. In order to unclog it, I will face the can tip down on
a concrete surface and push down on the can with my full
weight. This breaks the seal and the can is reusable. I have
used a paper clip to clean foam off the can's nozzle, but it
doesn't work and doesn't seem safe.

I have a feeling that this can will get stuck forever. Is there
a practical way to prevent it from clogging in the future?

The instructions right on the can say that you should use the entire
contents within 2 hrs of opening and to expect one time use. The 'stuff
also has an expiration date.
Kevin

Old December 25th 05, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Using it is the only sure way. I've also had to throw away a number of
out dated cans (not Great Stuff) where an unused can would not start.
Be sure to use eye protection whenever using this product.

Old December 25th 05, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Use plastic gloves as well as eye protection. If you get Great Stuff
on your hands, it takes three days to scrape it off.

Stretch

Old December 25th 05, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I have a can that I've used at least three different times. I had no
trouble pulling the cured foam out. After each use I remove the nozzle
and let everything cure. I clean out the nozzle with with a coat
hanger and the can opening with a paper clip.

This foam doesn't adhere well to the plastic so once it is cured it
should not be difficult to clean out.

Mike

Old December 25th 05, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Use plastic gloves as well as eye protection. If you get Great Stuff
on your hands, it takes three days to scrape it off.

Stretch

Gas will take it right on off as long as its not cured.

Old December 25th 05, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Hilti makes a competing product that restarts easier, although I found that
after 3 restarts the propellant ran out, leaving the can about maybe 33%
full.

I'm not sure it was even a "savings", since I could have waited until I had
a full can's worth of sealing to do and used it all up at once; this way I
ended up using more than 1 can for less than a can's work.

I think Hilti also makes a more "industrial" version with a metal/reusable
nozzle that screws on to the can, making it even more reusable, although I
suspect that version would suffer from the same propellant/contents problem.

The best bet overall is probably to buy the "small jobs" size, although I
haven't measured cost/oz; it may end up being more worthwhile to just throw
away unused quantities.