Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Cheney

Default How can I remove a washing machine agitator without risking death?

I was trying to remove the agitator from an old upright Kenmore washing
machine, and because none of the usual methods worked I decided to fit
an innertube between the bottom of the agitator and the tub and use air
pressure to push it up. But that didn't work either, and worse I can't
deflate the inner tube because the inflator valve contains a check
valve that refuses to leak. I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

"Dick Cheney" wrote

I was trying to remove the agitator from an old upright Kenmore washing
machine, and because none of the usual methods worked I decided to fit
an innertube between the bottom of the agitator and the tub and use air
pressure to push it up. But that didn't work either, and worse I can't
deflate the inner tube because the inflator valve contains a check
valve that refuses to leak. I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?

Step 1: Stab the inner tube with anything sharp.
Step 2: Describe your "usual methods".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Dick Cheney wrote:
I was trying to remove the agitator from an old upright Kenmore washing
machine, and because none of the usual methods worked I decided to fit
an innertube between the bottom of the agitator and the tub and use air
pressure to push it up. But that didn't work either, and worse I can't
deflate the inner tube because the inflator valve contains a check
valve that refuses to leak. I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?

Hi,

Break the agitator with a large flat screwdriver and hammer and replace
it. Years of water/soap/chemicals have made a cement between the
agitator and tranny shaft and the agitator -may- not come off with out
breaking it.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Dec 2005 00:42:24 -0800, "Dick Cheney"
wrote:

I was trying to remove the agitator from an old upright Kenmore washing
machine, and because none of the usual methods worked I decided to fit
an innertube between the bottom of the agitator and the tub and use air
pressure to push it up. But that didn't work either, and worse I can't
deflate the inner tube because the inflator valve contains a check
valve that refuses to leak. I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?

I guess put a small board and then a pillow over the middle of the
agitator, if you think it's going to blow. I don't think it will
blow more than an inch when the time comes. If it ever does.

(Did you take the cap off and the big nut underneath the cap off? Did
you get the washer off. Did you try some liquid wrench between the
shaft and the "collar"? Did you then put the washer and nut back on
and try tighteing the nut a bit, to loosen it? (although that might
not help in this case. Not sure. Maybe it would if you put a small
collar underneath the nut/washer, that would go around/over any
shoulder on the shaft.) Then take off the nut and washer again.)

Can you get at the valve at all?. Do you mean somehow pressing the
little thing in the center down doesn't release the air?

If not, go to a bicycle store, or maybe an autoparts store, and get a
valve remover. Remove the valve.

I like the valve removers that are also tube caps. I keep one on my
bicycle. I don't think they sell these at auto stores, only bike
stores. They're under a dollar, I'm sure.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If not, go to a bicycle store, or maybe an autoparts store, and get a
valve remover. Remove the valve.

You can get that little handy tool at any wal-mart, pep-boys, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Cheney

Jose B wrote:

As far as the air goes, around here we would use a knife.

Knives been letting what's inside, out for thousands of years.

Normally I'd do that, but air pressure can be extremely powerful and
hazardous, as Goodyear training films have shown (can hurl a split rim
1/4 mile).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

After 5 years of watching you and your buddy shrub destroy this nation,
I'm all for letting the agitator take off your head.....

Dick Cheney wrote:
I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

It would be no worse than popping a balloon that is inside another
container. The air will come out, thr innertube will go nowhere.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Cheney

Stretch wrote:

It would be no worse than popping a balloon that is inside another
container. The air will come out, thr innertube will go nowhere.

It's not the inner tube rupturing that worries me but the agitator
breaking loose and shooting up at the very moment I'm hovering over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Cheney

Jim Conway wrote:
After 5 years of watching you and your buddy shrub destroy this nation,
I'm all for letting the agitator take off your head.....

Please, I'm no small-time operator who would limit himself to
destroying only the nation. I'm out to f-up the whole world, big time,
big time. BTW learn to bow to your new Chinese masters in a few years
- trust me, I have inside information on this.