Fix/Replace bath tub drain -- doesn't stay open

Old December 20th 05, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix/Replace bath tub drain -- doesn't stay open

Hi everyone,

In my 25 year old home the bath tub has a drain where it's controlled
by a switch on the front/inside of the tub. It's gotten where even
when the switch is moved to open the drain will slowly close in about 5
seconds. Is it possible to either repair the drain switch or replace
it all together with one of those pop stoppers or even a plastic
stopper?

Thanks --

Sam

Old December 20th 05, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
Hi everyone,

In my 25 year old home the bath tub has a drain where it's controlled
by a switch on the front/inside of the tub. It's gotten where even
when the switch is moved to open the drain will slowly close in about 5
seconds. Is it possible to either repair the drain switch or replace
it all together with one of those pop stoppers or even a plastic
stopper?

Thanks --

Sam

More than likely, all you need to replace is the
"trip lever faceplate":
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp/Bathtub+Overflow+Plates+-+Trip+Lever+(6397A).html

The lever has a friction pad that is supposed to keep it one
position. Yours is probably worn out.

Installing a complete new drain fitting (waste and overflow)
for the popup drain can be(come) a *huge* project.

Jim
Old December 20th 05, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
t...
Alex wrote:
Hi everyone,

In my 25 year old home the bath tub has a drain where it's controlled
by a switch on the front/inside of the tub. It's gotten where even
when the switch is moved to open the drain will slowly close in about 5
seconds. Is it possible to either repair the drain switch or replace
it all together with one of those pop stoppers or even a plastic
stopper? Thanks --

Sam

More than likely, all you need to replace is the
"trip lever faceplate":
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp/Bathtub+Overflow+Plates+-+Trip+Lever+(6397A).html

The lever has a friction pad that is supposed to keep it one
position. Yours is probably worn out.

Installing a complete new drain fitting (waste and overflow)
for the popup drain can be(come) a *huge* project.

Jim

The plug may be gummed up with soap scum or hair. try remioving the plug
from the top (remove the a screw if there is one) and look down the drain to
see if it is clean on the edges. A bottle cleaning brush or some foaming
drain-o (be careful) might do the trick.

Old December 21st 05, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Dec 2005 09:02:56 -0800, "Alex" wrote:

Hi everyone,

In my 25 year old home the bath tub has a drain where it's controlled

What they said, plus my 26 year old bath tub went through this 2 or 3
years ago. I thought it was misadjusted with the tubular stopper that
is down the hole behind the "switch" faceplate, but that wasn't it.

The spring that is basically part of the faceplate had rusted thin and
weak. All you probably need is a new 25cent spring. However, I
couldn't find one, even in the spring section of Ace hardware and
maybe one other store.

But I disassemble every thing before I throw it away and save every
spring etc. I have 3 8-oz containers from margerine fiilled with
springs. I didn't have the perfect one either, but the one that was a
little lighter and narrower did the job for the last 3 years.

I'm keeeping my eyes open and I expect fo find another some where in
the next 21 years, in time for this one to break.

Or you can buy the whole switch/lever assembly. $5? $8? Not sure.

by a switch on the front/inside of the tub. It's gotten where even
when the switch is moved to open the drain will slowly close in about 5
seconds. Is it possible to either repair the drain switch or replace
it all together with one of those pop stoppers or even a plastic
stopper?

Thanks --

Sam

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let