Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Crack Repair In Drywall Questions

Hello:

Probably dumb questions, but have never done this kind
of repair before.

Have a sizable crack in drywall making up the
wall of one of our rooms. Will probably require
taping of the crack, first.

Think that drywall is the correct term for it, but
perhaps it should be called "plasterboard" ?

Saw at HD the fiberglass open weave tape that they apparently use for
tapeings like this. Also has an adhesive on one side.

Obviously, if I just put the tape over the crack before adding
the mortar compound, it will leave a sizable bump.

Questions:

a. How is this potential bump handled ?

Does one just sand down perhaps a 1/32" or so before applying the tape
so that it
will be hidden before applying the compound over it ?

b. The tape I saw has an adhesive backing.
Is this a good feature ? Any particular type/brand to use ?

c. What is the name of the "stuff" I want to apply over the tape ? Are
there different types of ?
Brand suggestions ?

Heard about "Krak-Kote". Is this worth pursuing, as HD doesn't carry it,
apparently ?

Any other hints on doing a job like this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

How wide is the crack? You might be able to find a flexible filler that can
handle it without tape.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

1) Tape crack
2) Add drywall (mud) plaster to tape area. Let dry
3) scrape major bumps off with trowel
4) reapply mud feathering the drywall wider as you go

When I'm finished such a crack I have mud covering a 18" or more area
feathered smooth with the surrounding drywall. I wouldn't even sand until
almost the last coat. normally 3 or 4.

drywall repair Patt Home Repair 2 September 19th 05 05:35 AM
Concrete Crack Repair KD Home Repair 8 September 18th 05 05:16 PM
Refrigerator repair story with a happy ending ! wgd Home Repair 16 July 4th 05 08:40 PM
repair crack in washbasin temporarily? pedro UK diy 6 June 30th 05 02:00 PM
Suggestions for drywall joint repair. themeanies Home Repair 9 November 2nd 04 01:46 AM