Posted to alt.home.repair
scale

Default drilling into concrete block in basement to put up shelves...

I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

Drill away should not be a problem You should use a concrete sleeve anchor
( http://www.confast.com/products/conc...eve-anchor.asp ) verses a
wedge anchor for block. Most people don't, I think it depends if your
drilling threw the block into the concrete core.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rush Limballs

Cinder blox are made of actual coal cinders or clinkers, do not drill unless
you want a major leak issue
"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. com...

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

Drill away should not be a problem You should use a concrete sleeve
anchor
( http://www.confast.com/products/conc...eve-anchor.asp ) verses a
wedge anchor for block. Most people don't, I think it depends if your
drilling threw the block into the concrete core.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

You can buy anchors for the block and it will do the job.

Another suggestion is to frame the wall with 2 x 4s, add insulation,
drywall, paint, then hand the shelves on the studs. Looks better, and if
your are in a cold climate, save heating costs.

An even better idea, buy a couple of cabinets instead of shelves and have a
nice laundry room. The budget just went from $25 to $250, but it sure will
look nice.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

scale wrote:
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

No reason not to.
You say it is cinder block. Unless it is an old house it is probably
concrete block. If cinder block (mine is) it will drill really easily,
if concrete a bit harder. You can cheat it on either type by drill
into the mortar seam vice the block itself. Use a 3/8 or 1/2" hammer
drill plus masonry drill bit is all that you need.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

scale wrote:
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

No reason not to.
You say it is cinder block. Unless it is an old house it is probably
concrete block. If cinder block (mine is) it will drill really easily,
if concrete a bit harder. You can cheat it on either type by drill
into the mortar seam vice the block itself. Use a 3/8 or 1/2" hammer
drill plus masonry drill bit is all that you need.

If pretty doesn't matter, or you don't have and don't want to buy masonry
bits (or a hammer drill) for a single use, simple solution is to just nail a
couple 2x4s flat side out hanging down from the sill plate. 2 sixteen-penny
nails in each will be plenty strong for a light utility shelf like that.
Just screw your brackets or track or whatever to the 2x4.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 18 Dec 2005 16:10:05 -0800, "scale" wrote:

I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

My house is 1979. I thought they were cinderblocks but they may be
concrete blocks for all I know.

I didn't have anyone to tell me whether I was doing it wrong or not,
but I just nailed some 2x2's about every 3 feet or so, using "cut
nails" (they have flat sides and no heads, and taper from top to
bottom, and are made of something hard.)

I used wood screws to screw non-adjustable brackets to the 2x2's and I
notched the wood where the 2x2s were so that the shelf would fit flush
with the wall.

Is this all ok?

I don't think I ran the 2x2's allthe way to the floor, but that would
have made them even stronger.

They've carried a very heavy load in some places. I sometimes put the
heaviest loads right above the brackets. 20 years and still standing.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

That stuff is HEAVY, be sure to use good supports and strong shelving
material. As in, not just some flimsy brackets spread 5 feet apart and
particle board. Use wood for the shelves, not just MDF. Then make sure you
space the brackets within 3 feet of each other, if not a bit closer.

I say this as the former homeowner put up crappy shelving with flimsy
brackets, too far apart, and that 20 gallon bottle of Tide sealed it's fate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

scale wrote:
I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

A Hammer drill will save you lots of time. There are screws that screw
directly into the hole you drill so you can use those instead of an
'anchor.'

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On 18 Dec 2005 16:10:05 -0800, "scale" wrote:

I have a question

i want to hang a shelf to hold my detergent, fab softner, etc above my
washer dryer combo in the basement of my house.

THe walls are made of cynder blocks. Is it smart to drill into them in
order to put in anchors so i can hang a shelf....or would i be better
off doing something else. I dont want to crack the block or anything.

Any opinions?

I would driil into the block and use lagshields and lags. If this is
not sutable for you you could use wall mollies. but in any case DRILL!
Drill slow with light pressure on the cinder block otherwise you hole
will become to big Good Luck Hope I helped
Anthony

at
http://www.TitanNews.com