Posted to alt.home.repair
D'Olier

Default Garage door openers

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is covering
most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because
of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type
opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the
way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mort Guffman

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:48:02 -0600, "D'Olier" wrote:

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is covering
most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because
of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type
opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the
way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?

Paul

Wayne-Dalton makes one called IDRIVE. I don't know how good it is.

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

Maybe he's referring to the Wayne-Dalton iDrive, which mounts on the
wall immediately above the door. It took a while to get ours working OK:
the one we bought apparently was old stock of an earlier design, but WD
sent a new controller board and light unit at no charge.

Very quiet, but not cheap. You'll find a variety of opinions online if
you Google "iDrive."

Perce

On 12/17/05 10:48 pm D'Olier wrote:

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is covering
most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because
of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type
opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the
way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your door has torsion springs (springs on shaft above door & which
the Idrive also requires), simply move the existing opener off to one
side of the attic opening. With torsion springs the opener does not
need to be on center.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

My parents have had one for 2 years and it is great. When my old style
openers go I will replace them with IDrives.

"Mort Guffman" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:48:02 -0600, "D'Olier" wrote:

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is
covering
most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because
of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type
opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the
way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?

Paul

Wayne-Dalton makes one called IDRIVE. I don't know how good it is.

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Except many garage doors have a reinforced position in the center for the
opener and can be damaged if the opener is installed somewhere else on the
door.

wrote in message
ups.com...
If your door has torsion springs (springs on shaft above door & which
the Idrive also requires), simply move the existing opener off to one
side of the attic opening. With torsion springs the opener does not
need to be on center.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:48:02 -0600, "D'Olier" wrote:

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is covering
most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because
of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type
opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the
way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?

Paul

Paul I don't think I post right before. I think that possabilty that a
Wanye Dalton unit would work for you. The unit fits above the door and
incorperates a torsion spring and operator into one unit. These seem
to work somewhat well for lowheadroom applications. If yhour door is
bigger than a 16x7 then I suggest a jackshaft operator made by
liftmaster purchased from a lift master dealer for around $375-400
dollars Hope this helps you anthony anthonys door systems

at
http://www.TitanNews.com