Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boiler Maintenance

The glass water gauge on my boiler is so dirty, i cant tell how much
water is in the boiler. I have been told i need to remove it, clean it
and replace. I have a good idea of how to do it, but need advice from
an expert. Do i simply shut off the two valves on the gauge (one at
the top and one at the bottom) remove it and clean. Is there any thing
else i need to worry about, or any trick to doing this successfully?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
The glass water gauge on my boiler is so dirty, i cant tell how much
water is in the boiler. I have been told i need to remove it, clean it
and replace. I have a good idea of how to do it, but need advice from
an expert. Do i simply shut off the two valves on the gauge (one at
the top and one at the bottom) remove it and clean. Is there any thing
else i need to worry about, or any trick to doing this successfully?

No, don't clean it, replace it.

You need a new glass as they do wear out, two seals, two brass washers.

This job is best done with the boiler off and not under pressure in case the
valves to not seat properly.

Close the valves.
Loosen the nut on the top and the bottom and pull them towards the center.
Lift the glass and pull it out.
Toss the rubbers and the brass washer.
On the new glass, mount the nut, the brass washer, the rubber seal and push
them on about an inch. Do this on each end with the nuts opposing each
other
Slide the glass into the top valve, then the bottom.
Spread the nuts out to the end and center the glass. You don't want it
seated, but floating between them
Tighten the nuts hand tight, then slowly snug them with a wrench. No need
to over tighten as the rubber seals will hold everything.

Open the valves, start the boiler. Check for leaks. If you have a leak,
just turn the nut very slightly, not more than 1/8th turn at a time.

Plumbing supply may have what you need. If not, www.mcmaster.com has them,
but you may have to buy a box of the seals.

If you want to have some real fun, come to work and you can change them on
the boilers with 125 psi of steam in them and running.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TAB Dude

Also in addition to changing the sight glass, blow down the unit, clean the
fill valve and make sure the make-up water valve is functioning properly.
Seen too many units die from crap in the make-up system.

TAB Dude

New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 03:13 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 10:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 10:36 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 08:32 AM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 8th 03 12:26 AM