Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
Abby Normal

Default Break-even point for home electric generator powered by natural gas? What about NG-powered AC compressor?

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Vaughn wrote:

Please can the excessive crossposting.
Vaughn

Please tell me which -one- of the following 5 news groups you would
have posted this question to then:

alt.hvac
alt.home.repair
alt.energy.homepower
sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
misc.consumer

Perhaps I could have dropped misc.consumer or alt.hvac, but even those
groups touch on the house-hold energy plants and energy-consuming
devices. And my subject was very descriptive, allowing anyone to
simply not read the post if they didn't want to.

I think it would be wise to focus on the subject of the post, and not
get an ulcer over the relatively small and focused distribution of the
post itself.

Simply look up how much NG that generator takes at 50% load.
Multiply times 720 to get your monthly gas usage, figure out
how much that will cost, and compare to your present power bill.
I guarantee you, you will have no further questions. Believe
it or not, it would cost me the best part of $1000/month to
run my little 4KW generator 24/30.

We will soon be moving (1 to 2 years at most) to "smart-meters" in
Ontario (which means our electricity use will be billed based on
hourly use and time-of-day electricity costs). Because of collusion
of the electricity-generating-cabal on the east-coast of North
America, some of our nuke plants in Ontario have been shut down to
reduce supply so that various plants on the grid can provide very
expensive peak power to the grid. At times, we must import power from
the US and pay 25 to 50 times what it normally costs us to generate an
equivalent amount of power. This normally happens only on the hottest
days of the summer, usually starting at 10 am and lasting until 4 pm
until the load drops to the point where Ontario_supply =
Ontario_demand.

Hence my question about the merits of home generation of electricity
from a natural gas generator, which I agree are likely not built for
24/7 operation and (even given NG's superiority when it comes to btu/$
vs electricity) would not likely pay unless we're talking about
operation only during summer peak hours.

Which leads to my related question about NG-powered air conditioning
compressors, because during peak summer electric loading the culprit
is usually AC units. Perhaps the simple answer to avoiding large
bills in the summer is to move to a NG-powered AC compressor?

That's what you ****ing get for living in Canada. You should bow down and
say thanks that the U.S. protects your wimpy butts and gives you so many
free benefits.

If Canada wasn't like it is now, the U.S. might actually consider annexing
it in as state #51.

Count your blessings and quit your whining.

The USA protects Canada from an invasion from who exactly?

Hmm, who would want to invade Canada? Let me see, an ignorant asshole
such as yourself?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
John P.. Bengi

Back in the 60s Canada was considering selling itself
to the USA for $25 Billion US (they can't count
properly either), $0.025 billion elsewhere, and we
would all have become instant millionaires.

It was found that Canucksville people couldn't be
arogant enough to fit in with the US culture and they
would also lose a country to whine about having
everything they didn't.

Recrossposted just like the whiner did.

"Abby Normal" wrote in message
ups.com...