Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Undercoat recommendation?

I have need of an undercoater/primer that will sand very, very easily
and which can be applied over epoxy. Preferably one that is generally
available at brand name paint stores or home improvement centers.

Thanks...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

dadiOH wrote:
I have need of an undercoater/primer that will sand very, very easily
and which can be applied over epoxy. Preferably one that is generally
available at brand name paint stores or home improvement centers.

What's the application? If you rough up the surface of epoxy most
primers will bite. You could try Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start - comes
in several flavors. It has added resins to increase the adhesion - you
can paint over gloss paint and formica with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

RicodJour wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
I have need of an undercoater/primer that will sand very, very easily
and which can be applied over epoxy. Preferably one that is
generally available at brand name paint stores or home improvement
centers.

What's the application?

Boat.

If you rough up the surface of epoxy most
primers will bite. You could try Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start - comes
in several flavors. It has added resins to increase the adhesion -
you can paint over gloss paint and formica with it.

Thanks, I'll check on it. Mainly, I want a heavy bodied, easy sanding
undercoat to smooth out the epoxy surface before top coating. Even
though the epoxy will be sanded it will still need smoothing...lots
easier to smooth undercoat than epoxy.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly

Is there any reason you can't use automotive primer surfacer? It's
made specifically for covering up small imperfections and is very easy
to sand. However primer sealer is another matter and stays sticky and
gummy for days or even weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Is there any reason you can't use automotive primer surfacer? It's
made specifically for covering up small imperfections and is very easy
to sand. However primer sealer is another matter and stays sticky and
gummy for days or even weeks.

No, auto body primer/surfacer is what I'll use if I can't find another.
Reasons it isn't first choice are that it is normally lacquer based and
meant for spraying (prefer to brush in this case) and it is pricey.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...