Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

Default adding insulation to the attic

I would like to add insulation to my attic. I currently have about 3 inches
of 40 year old rockwool insulation between the joists. I do not think there
is a vapor barrier anywhere in the attic. My plan was too leave the old
rockwool (or whatever it is) alone and roll out new bats of fiberglass
insulation perpendicular to the joists (covering the wood joists for maximum
effect). Should I get faced or unfaced insulation?

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:09:46 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

I would like to add insulation to my attic. I currently have about 3 inches
of 40 year old rockwool insulation between the joists. I do not think there
is a vapor barrier anywhere in the attic. My plan was too leave the old
rockwool (or whatever it is) alone and roll out new bats of fiberglass
insulation perpendicular to the joists (covering the wood joists for maximum
effect). Should I get faced or unfaced insulation?

Thanks,
Jason

UNFACED. ( if you're adding over existing ins. )

The vapor barrier ( face ) should be
between the ceiling and the insulation.
rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"RJ" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:09:46 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

I would like to add insulation to my attic. I currently have about 3

inches
of 40 year old rockwool insulation between the joists. I do not think

there
is a vapor barrier anywhere in the attic. My plan was too leave the old
rockwool (or whatever it is) alone and roll out new bats of fiberglass
insulation perpendicular to the joists (covering the wood joists for

maximum
effect). Should I get faced or unfaced insulation?

Thanks,
Jason

UNFACED. ( if you're adding over existing ins. )

The vapor barrier ( face ) should be
between the ceiling and the insulation.
rj

I agree but if your current insulation does not come to the top of the
existing joists you may want to reconsider your direction or add some fill
to bring it to the top of the joists.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

How do I add additional layers of attic insulation to a joist cavity
that is only half full?

If joist cavity is only half full and the recommended insulation level
in your area is R-38, fill the joist cavity flush with the top with the
appropriate thickness of fiber glass insulation. Then lay a second
layer of unfaced insulation perpendicular to the existing layer to give
a total of 12" (or an R-value of 38) in the joist cavity. Covering the
attic joists with the second layer will reduce heat loss through the
wood.
as it says at:
http://www.owenscorning.com/around/i.../faq_attic.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I add additional layers of attic insulation to a

joist cavity
that is only half full?

If joist cavity is only half full and the recommended

insulation level
in your area is R-38, fill the joist cavity flush with the

top with the
appropriate thickness of fiber glass insulation. Then lay

a second
layer of unfaced insulation perpendicular to the existing

layer to give
a total of 12" (or an R-value of 38) in the joist cavity.

Covering the
attic joists with the second layer will reduce heat loss

through the
wood.
as it says at:

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/i.../faq_attic.asp

Or, you could just blow in cellulose.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

I highly recommend the cellulose. It's a little dusty going in, but it
does the job very well once it's there. Either way you go, make sure
your soffit vents aren't covered when you're done or you'll have
moisture problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you to everyone who responded. I will look at cellulose and
fiberglass.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

It's my understanding that kraft faced (or vapor barrier), that the VB
should be the closest to the heated area of the building. Since you have
insulation, you'd want non vapor barrier fiberglass.

Rolling across the joists sounds like exactly the way to go.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

m...