Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub drain: Standard lever type vs pop up type

I ma thinking of replacing my bath tub drain which currently has the
standard lever with one of those pop up types. I have never had one of
the pop up types before. I understand that they are better, but I
really wanted to hear from someone wh has had both to confirm. My main
concern witha pop up type is that my current lever type does catch a
lot of hair, that presumbaly would otherwise go down the drain and clog
up my pipes (I would think?). Can anyone comment on one vs the other?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I ma thinking of replacing my bath tub drain which currently has the
standard lever with one of those pop up types. I have never had one of
the pop up types before. I understand that they are better, but I
really wanted to hear from someone wh has had both to confirm. My main
concern witha pop up type is that my current lever type does catch a
lot of hair, that presumbaly would otherwise go down the drain and clog
up my pipes (I would think?). Can anyone comment on one vs the other?

I own and have installed both. I will always go with the pop-up in the
future. I do suggest that you not buy it at Lowes or HD as the version they
sold the last time I looked is cheap and flimsy. Look for the Watco brand
at a real supply house. All you get is the flange, washer and pop-up in
heavy pvc. The flange top is chrome or brass. You then use your own pipe and
fittings glue it together and forget it.

Hair has not been a problem. It seems to stick in the trap and easily
removed with a 20" saw tooth snake.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
siralfred

When I bought my house, I replaced the rusted lever plug with a pop-up.
It was a cheap one from Lowe's however, and has been replaced after two
years. That said, it works fine when it works and getting the hair out
is easy. Most of it catches in the drain assembly right under the plug
and can be accessed by simply unscrewing the plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

I read in a book that the pop up types drain slower than the lever
types. So I installed a lever type last weekend. The drain has a
grate over it that should catch hair. HD had some neat looking cable
operated drains that are supposed to drain even faster but they were
more expensive than I could justify for a basement tub that I'll never
use.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 28 Nov 2005 10:50:12 -0800, wrote:

I ma thinking of replacing my bath tub drain which currently has the
standard lever with one of those pop up types. I have never had one of
the pop up types before. I understand that they are better, but I
really wanted to hear from someone wh has had both to confirm. My main
concern witha pop up type is that my current lever type does catch a
lot of hair, that presumbaly would otherwise go down the drain and clog
up my pipes (I would think?). Can anyone comment on one vs the other?

One advantage of the lever is that you can open and close the drain
with your toes.

This is important to me, because sometimes I've made the water too hot
or too cold and there was no room to add more water.**

Also, when I'm ready to get out of the tub, I can open it with my
toes, although for the last two winters, I've gotten out and let the
hot water sit until it's cold. (it takes about 3 hours) I can't seem
to waste the heat and the humidity.

The house is 26 years old, but I don't think the tub was used much the
first 4 years. The spring rusted out when it was about 18 years old,
and I couldn't find an exact replacement, but I had one that worked
fine. Of course I could have bought the whole plate & lever, with the
spring, for I think 3 or 4 dollars.

**I used plumber's grease to lube the hot and cold water faucets, so I
could adjust those with my toes also, but that is not as easy to do as
it was 5 or 10 years ago. I can still do it with two feet, but not
with only one. I think that is still better than it was when I bought
the house.

In Brooklyn NY the valves were on the side of the tub so I could just
use my hands. This is typical in NYC. The drain in this 30's
building was entirely outside the tub, a pipe that sticks up from the
floor, with a tube that pulls up a bit and twists to drain or plug the
tub. I taped the overflow, and untaped it when I moved out 10 years
later. When taped, the tub was so big, I could float my whole 5'8"
180 lb. body without touching the sides or bottom.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Outside drain problem... Who is responsible? Lawrence Milbourn UK diy 16 March 21st 05 11:32 AM
Routing laundry drain to kitchen drain possible? orangetrader Home Repair 11 March 7th 05 03:14 AM
Shower Drain repair question JJ Home Repair 2 September 1st 04 09:49 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM