Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Default Baseboard Hot water sytem Valve wiring.

Will try and keep short. Came home to a stone cold house. It being only
second year in house and not even remotely familiar with system i
called in outside help. He said my valve switches were bad, honeywell
recall had expired, and said he could not replace just switches, but
entire valve's. Total over $300 parts alone.

I have access to electronics so i ash him to somehow wire me a bypass
if possible. He did and that works. I have replaced switches but he
wired bypass when i was not looking, and dont want to call him back out
for $85 and a 2 minute job. If im am not mistaken, he wired one
thermostat directly to power.

Link to pic's and explained.

http://home.comcast.net/~janiebeast/bill.htm

Very first pics shows 2 valves the way they are wired NOW after bypass.
Valve on left is only one that had any rewiring done on it, thats
upstairs or main, one on left is downstairs and secondary.

Second pic is close up of left valve

Third pic sideways (sorry) but just to show wiring he did, see spliced
red and white wires

Pics 4 and 5 same. He plugged in his bypass to this transformer. I can
switch these back without problem.

The actual question is i have one read and one white wire to reconnect
to left valve, but not sure where to reconnect, can only guess red wire
goes to bottom middle on value, but if thats correct, where does white
wire go???

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

looks like both zone valves in your pictures are in the manually open
position as determined by the lower mechanical lever on each.
this would suggest that both zones get heat off any thermostat all at
once.

sorry i don't understand what you are trying to bypass unless it's a
bad thermostat on one of the zones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The switches in question are end line switches that are used to fire the
boiler. If I were you, I'd replace the entire zone valve(s) with Honeywell
valves which have replaceable parts . Zone valve wiring tends to be a
complicated mess. Let him or someone else do the entire job and ask to
explain the wiring to you. The sequence is something like this: Thermostat
calls for heat, sending 24 volts to it's respective zone valve- when valve
completely opens, it closes end line switch which closes circuit to aquastat
relay on boiler which fires boiler. Boiler runs until thermostat is
satisfied or reaches high limit

"bill" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

If the zone valve was bad, what did he bypass? Its already manually
bypassed as Buffalobill mentioned.
Is your repairman talking about somethinmg else?

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Yes you are correct. Both are open because we needed to heat both
sections, temporarily, via one thermostat. I need to reverse this,
putting them back so that there are two zones for two switches. I'm
not trying to bypass anything, per se. It was done as a temporary fix
until we could get a two new switches. Now we want to restore it to
the original, proper configuration. One zone per valve. Does this
make any sense?

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Zone valve not bad, switch within zone valve assembly was bad. Both
switches on both zone valves are bad. He said , after checking model
numbers that my valves were within a bad set sent out by honeywell.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

RBM (remove this) wrote:
: Thermostat
calls for heat, sending 24 volts to it's respective zone valve- when valve
completely opens, it closes end line switch which closes circuit to aquastat
relay on boiler which fires boiler. Boiler runs until thermostat is
satisfied or reaches high limit

OK now it makes sense. I have not dealt with these valves in a while.
Its wired this way to ensure that the boiler does not fire up until the
valve is opened. Then what your repairman did is bypass this end line
switch out of the circuit so the boiler can fire up. Plus it was
necessary to manually open the valve.
RBM is correct, you should have both valves replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

bill wrote:
I have access to electronics so i ash him to somehow wire me a bypass
if possible. He did and that works. I have replaced switches but he
wired bypass when i was not looking,

I'm not sure if I understand, you already replaced the switches
yourself? Or the entire valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The only function of the end line switch is to start the boiler. They are
used if the boiler is wired for "cold start" Some boilers, like ones with
hot water coils built in, are "maintained temperature" boilers and use a
triple aquastat relay, which has a low temp cut in and a high temp cutout,
so they maintain a tank of 180 degree water

"bill" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Correct: i have replaced the switches.Having a background in
electronics i wasnt about to pay $150 per entire valve assembly when i
knew i could buy switches for $4.50 a piece.

I downloaded honeywell's valve wiring circuit diagram, but its greek to
me. I have model 8043

http://home.comcast.net/~janiebeast/60-2133.pdf

But back to :

http://home.comcast.net/~janiebeast/bill.htm

2nd pic down, i think i would connect red to lower middle connection
point and white to far left connection point. Those wires already
connected have 24 volts coming over them.

Which brings me to another question. While taking voltage readings and
such, is it normal for the type configuration to have 2 24 volt
supplies??

Go to forth pic down: he told me to reconnect this wires to current
spots, just removing his bypass:

http://home.comcast.net/~janiebeast/bill.htm

I should have stuck to electronics and computers , they are actually
much simplier.

Mikepier wrote:
bill wrote:
I have access to electronics so i ash him to somehow wire me a bypass
if possible. He did and that works. I have replaced switches but he
wired bypass when i was not looking,

I'm not sure if I understand, you already replaced the switches
yourself? Or the entire valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There are at least two separate 24volt power supplies. One, is a separately
mounted 40va transformer to power the zone valve motors, depending on how
many you have, you could have more than one transformer, and the other,
which is the one you need to be concerned with, which is built into the
relay, who's "TT" contacts you need to connect your switch wires to

oups.com...

Mikepier wrote:
bill wrote:
I have access to electronics so i ash him to somehow wire me a bypass
if possible. He did and that works. I have replaced switches but he
wired bypass when i was not looking,

I'm not sure if I understand, you already replaced the switches
yourself? Or the entire valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

It's hard to tell from your pics what exactly is bypassed, but the
Honeywell wiring diagram looks straightfoward. The thermostat should be
connected to the bottom left and bottom middle terminal. The power
supply should be connected to the bottom left terminal ( along with 1
leg of the T-stat wire) and the bottom right terminal.
Now for the end switch terminals the wiring diagram says it goes to the
circulator. I am assuming it goes to a relay box first which closes the
circuit to activate the aquastat/boiler and circulator. Is that where
the wire goes, to some kind of relay box?

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Thanks. Im going to try this when i get home tonight, you have answered
my question, but you last question " I am assuming it goes to a relay
box first which closes the
circuit to activate the aquastat/boiler and circulator. Is that where
the wire goes, to some kind of relay box? "

Has left me in left field and the lights are off. I will write again
after trying this tonight

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

bill wrote:
" I am assuming it goes to a relay
box first which closes the
circuit to activate the aquastat/boiler and circulator. Is that where
the wire goes, to some kind of relay box? "

What I mean is the end switch terminals closes a circuit. If it does go
to the circulator, then it must go to a relay box first because the end
switch is 24V, and the circulator is 110V, so the relay box simply
takes the 24V completed circuit from the end switch to pull in a relay
which in turn activates the circulator.
However you might have a different setup. The end switch might just
complete the circuitry for the boiler to start up. In this case it is
24V.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

About RBM's reply, thanks for your contribution to hopefully solving my
problem, I'll write again after i try it tonight, but in reply to
your message, i dont think i have that type setup. I say that because i
often see my temp gauge drop to below 100 if unit hasnt kicked on in
a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill

Thank you both for all your help. Did what i had to do and reconnected
those wires. Set valves to auto and than turned on basement heat,
worked fine, new switch works like a champ. Did not get a chance to
fire up upstairs because temps spiked yesterday and it did not get
below 73 in the house yesterday. Within a day or 2, we will be back in
the 30ies again, but not expecting any problems with that one either.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 11 January 25th 18 09:44 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 26th 05 12:34 AM
Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better? Paul J Home Repair 19 February 29th 04 08:52 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 10:45 PM