Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Default Kenmore washer tub problem

I have a 1991 Kenmore/Whirlpool model 110.82993100 direct drive
automatic washer. The problem is the tub/agitator assembly does not sit
properly; it leans to the left side of the cabinet as I face the
washer. The problem has gotten so bad there is now a wear mark on the
inside left panel of the cabinet and water flows over the top of the
tub ring, which is the base for the bleach and softener dispensers,
when filling. I have done a lot of searching on the internet but
haven't found an instance of a tub assembly leaning to the left side,
only the right. I followed up on a number of the suggestions I found,
but to no avail. I have done the following:

· I checked for level on all four edges before I removed the cabinet.
· I checked for level on all four edges of the base after removing
the cabinet.
· The three suspension plate springs and the counterweight spring are
all in place. All four springs are slightly expanded.
· The base pads appear to be in reasonable shape but are somewhat
worn.(More about this later)
· The balance ring on the top of the washer is OK.
I found an item on the net suggesting the suspension plate could be
twisted. It was slightly out of alignment but not twisted. I lined it
up but as soon as the tub is allowed to rest back against it, it slides
out of place again and the tub leans back to the left. The only thing
stopping the tub from leaning farther over is the two tabs protruding
from the bottom of the tub down past the suspension plate. When the tub
is allowed to sit freely, the tabs come to rest on the suspension
plate. Since I feel the suspension pads may be worn, I inserted spacers
just to see if I could achieve level. That failed. The tub slid back to
its left lean position again.

Now for my questions:

· If I replace the base pads, should I replace the suspension plate
pads also? If so, how do I go about getting at the suspension plate
pads to change them?
· Is there any way to check if the springs need to be replaced?
· Is there something else for which I should be looking or
checking?
Is there a possibility of something being bent somewhere (eg agitator
shaft, suspension plate, base assembly)? If something this major needs
replacing then a decision has to be made about replacing the machine.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I don't mind having to do more
work, just want to be reasonably certain it is worth the money for the
parts.

Thanks for any help.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Don" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That thing is 15 years old. Junk it and get a new one.

Sears only builds them to last 8-10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

follow all service tips at:

http://fixitnow.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 04:54:08 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

That thing is 15 years old. Junk it and get a new one.

Sears only builds them to last 8-10 years.

Mine is 26 years old, and is fine. Only does laundry for one person,
but still.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.