Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default How long does a tube of unopened caulk last?

I bought a twelve pack of silicon caulk about 2 years ago and used right. I
have 4 tubes never opened never broken the seal. How long will they last?
Today I opened one up and nothing is coming out. Sticked a long nail in it
and it's semi-hard near the nozzle...

I don't see an expiration date on these things. Shouldn't they last a
little longer?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

"miamicuse" wrote in message

...Today I opened one up and nothing is coming out...

If I warm-up my caulk, this sometimes will make the stuff come out.

Or if I keep squeezing my caulk, something will eventually come out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"miamicuse" wrote in message
news
I bought a twelve pack of silicon caulk about 2 years ago and used right.
have 4 tubes never opened never broken the seal. How long will they last?
Today I opened one up and nothing is coming out. Sticked a long nail in
it
and it's semi-hard near the nozzle...

I don't see an expiration date on these things. Shouldn't they last a
little longer?

You would think. Just be glad nothing is coming out. I used an old tube
and the stuff never hardened. Now I have to dig it all out and redo it;
caulk is cheap enough to toss old tubes.
OTOH, just today I used a tube 6 months past the expiration date. Worked
fine. The test is whether it smells like vinigar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

Last week I used a tube that had been opened and then sealed with duct
tape. It was originally used a couple of years ago-- and it worked
just fine. I'd used only an inch or less of it, so there wasn't much
air in the tube. Presumably yours, unopened, should not have hardened.

By the way, mine wasn't water-based, or whatever the easily-washable
stuff is. It was the silicone kind that's really annoying to wash off
your hands.

Comedian Shaun Eli
http://www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smarter Audience (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Eli You used silicone open a couple of years ago and you say it worked
fine, I will bet it never cures right and should be removed, it wont get
a bond because important chemicals evaporated a long time ago

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

There are expiration dates, old silicone wont bond or cure right, not
worth the headache tyring.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There are expiration dates, old silicone wont bond or cure right, not
worth the headache tyring.

I have since quit buying more caulk than I need to save time. Now, I buy
what I need when I need, and will save it for a bit. But if it is more than
about six months old, I just go get new. I want to be sure it is going to
work, and that is a small sacrifice to pay rather than having it sit in my
shop for a long time and be hard or not stick.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:17:27 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I bought a twelve pack of silicon caulk about 2 years ago and used right. I
have 4 tubes never opened never broken the seal. How long will they last?
Today I opened one up and nothing is coming out. Sticked a long nail in it
and it's semi-hard near the nozzle...

I don't see an expiration date on these things. Shouldn't they last a
little longer?

MC

I would not buy more caulk than could be used in a year. Same with
woodworker's glue. However, it may last a bit longer. Bottom line is
ask the manufacturer about shelf life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:36:16 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There are expiration dates, old silicone wont bond or cure right, not
worth the headache tyring.

I have since quit buying more caulk than I need to save time. Now, I buy
what I need when I need, and will save it for a bit. But if it is more than
about six months old, I just go get new. I want to be sure it is going to
work, and that is a small sacrifice to pay rather than having it sit in my
shop for a long time and be hard or not stick.

Steve

Yeah, but how do you know the stuff you just bought is not old?
I bought 4 tubes of silicone caulk, used them immediately (or tried to
use them). I used part of the first tube and found it was junk. The
stuff would not dry and just made a big cleanup mess. So, I opened
the second and third tubes, more junk. I tool all of them, including
my receipt back to the store, and told the store manager to open the
4th while I was there. The store manager insisted that if the caulk
comes out of the tube, there is nothing wrong with it. I explained
the fact it would not harden, they told me there is nothing they could
do about that, and I should contact the manufacturer. I contacted the
mfg and they asked me for a code number on the tubes. I gave them
these numbers and they told me the stuff was expired, and was the
fault of the store where I purchased it, and I should contact them. I
explained they told me to contact the mfg. However I did contact the
store again, and all they did was tell me to go back to the mfg.

In other words, no one would stand behind the caulk. By this time I
was so ****ed off about the run-around, that I tossed it in the trash.
However, I wrote a letter to my local lumberyard (where I bought the
caulk), and told them why I will never do business with them again.
Then I wrote to the mfg of the caulk and told them why I will never
buy their caulk again. I never heard back from either.

That lumberyard used to get quite a bit of business from me. They
lost all of it for about $15 worth of caulk. GE Silicone lost any
future purchases from me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Shaun Eli wrote:
Last week I used a tube that had been opened and then sealed with duct
tape. It was originally used a couple of years ago-- and it worked
just fine. I'd used only an inch or less of it, so there wasn't much
air in the tube. Presumably yours, unopened, should not have hardened.

There is no air in a cartridge of caulking whether it's used a little
or a lot. It's sealed. The only air that comes in contact with the
caulk is at the tip of the nozzle.

It's also pushing your luck to use silicone caulk that's that old.
Sometimes it'll gun right, but it won't set up - obviously you'll find
this out after the fact right about the time the air turns blue from
your swearing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

miamicuse wrote:

I bought a twelve pack of silicon caulk about 2 years ago and used right. I
have 4 tubes never opened never broken the seal. How long will they last?
Today I opened one up and nothing is coming out. Sticked a long nail in it
and it's semi-hard near the nozzle...

I don't see an expiration date on these things. Shouldn't they last a
little longer?

MC

At our house, they rarely last more than a day ) Were you and Noah
getting ready for the next flood? Jeesh, that's my hubby's economic
style. I have had opened tubes last for months. Opened for small job
and didn't want to throw it out, so I taped masking tape securely over
the nozzle. Got a little hard in the tip, so I reamed it with a kabob
skewer and it worked fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

Sometimes they still look OK but the chemicals are affected and then they
don't cure right. I used a latex caulk some time back that had been opened
for months and it flowed right but won't cure after two days. I just threw
out about 10 tubes of unopened caulk. Some of those I ordered by mail
Phenoseal with specialty colors but after two years they are no good
anymore.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Until the next time you really, really, really need it for that last tiny
amount to finish the job and all the stores are closed.

;-]